Wouldn't start!

Got all dressed up to go for morning coffee, ignition on ..press starter..motor spins ,one cough and dies...huh..try again and now not even a fart!....So put the darn thing back in the garage and hook up the battery charger 'cause I had run it down pretty good and swapped over to my Trusty Triumph Bonneville and left....Mid morning I return home and pull the honda back outside and hit the starter...It splutters a bit and then fires up! ***?....slug of water in gas ?....try it again in late afternoon and starts right up again...no problem.... This morning I am going to do exactly the same thing and see if she wants to co-operate or not...Glad I have another motorcycle to fall back on.....

It's normal these days, just about every bike I've had has had a hard-start on occasion... Lots of theories but also happens with inconsistency so I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens every time.

It certainly could be a bit of condensation / weater in gas. I would run tank out of gas or drain it and refill with fresh amd maybe add some gas line anti-freez to the tank,or better yet would be to get some race gs and put 2 -3 gallons into tank and then run it for several miles to thoughly get the race gas circulated in the fuel system.,

The rrusty Bonneyville must be one of the newer ones, not a old school version with Lucus electrics!

Yes!..I kinda felt like Burt Monroe..pushing his worlds fastest Indian out of the garage today....not knowing what will happen, but as you have suggested..the Honda just wanted or needed a day off..She started at a touch of the button...I took off on the interstate for a fast run to clear its throat..after about 40 miles I topped off the gas and for the rest of the day it did not falter...and once again I was reminded just what a nice motorcycle this is...under quite windy conditions she hustled down the highway straight as an arrow protecting it's rider from the elements and still returns a tad over/under 50 mpg.... very nice...and yes, the Bonneville is a fuel injected 09 modern classic..no Joseph Lucas anywhere!

You might of had the throttle open when you tried to start the bike?

How long did it sit before you tried to start it? How long since you put fresh gas in it?

You might of had the throttle open when you tried to start the bike?
+1. It's easy to accidentally twist the throttle when straightening the handlebars, or reaching for the key, or anything else prior to pressing the start button, then causing the rough or no start.

My CX500 Turbo did this's once (it is fuel injected). I finally got it started and then it would not idle. I increased the idle adjustment as there is an easily adjustable thumb screw and when I stopped about five minutes down the road the bike was idling so high I had to wind the idle back down.

I put it down to "old fuel" in the fuel line from the tank to the injectors and once this fuel cleared it was again running OK.

I have never had the problem again and I am not sure why I had it that time.

I did leave the NT in the garage when I took off for sunny Florida this past winter, but all was perfect when I came home...I hooked my battery to the charger and after only a few minutes the green (fully charged) light came on and I have since covered about 100 miles with one stop at the gas station for a fill up...It has been running perfect....so I was quite shocked when she refused to go for me...anyway...now she is back to her normal self and is running great...I bought this new just last summer and now it has just 4500 miles.. I did a valve check last fall because I thought I may have had a loose valve, but all was good...when its cold the motor does tap tap a little for a couple of blocks then she settles down...I will be riding out to Iowa City tomorrow Sat..I figure about a 200 mile day so looking forward to that...Many thanks to all the tips and advice you give.

Back
Top Bottom