Wow. Terrible crash

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Here is a Revzilla report on a most terrible motorcycle crash that killed 7.

I think the writer was correct to blame the people he did, but the riders must bear a measure of responsibility. While you can ride up side a buddy in probably every state, its a poor idea. But tail gaiting on a bike is always illeagle and never a good idea. If the riders had been in trail formation, three seconds apart, there is no way all those seven would have died.

I think the writer was correct to blame the people he did, but the riders must bear a measure of responsibility. While you can ride up side a buddy in probably every state, its a poor idea. But tail gaiting on a bike is always illeagle and never a good idea. If the riders had been in trail formation, three seconds apart, there is no way all those seven would have died.
I disagree. In assigning responsibility, one needs to determine causation. The cause of the crash was clearly the responsibility of the truck driver. The responsibility of that driver driving that truck that day and time clearly belongs to his employer and the State of Massachusetts. Therein lies the responsibility. Could the riders have ridden in a manner that would have ameliorated some of the danger and perhaps saved a life or two? Of course, but that is NOT responsibility. By your definition of responsibility, just the mere fact of their all choosing to ride that day makes them responsible. Not so.

Mike

Last edited:

Certainly a sad story indeed.

Both the Westfield employer and the Massachusetts DMV are to blame for this Tweaker getting the transport gig. Telling that to the families of the deceased doesn’t relieve their grief or pain of their losses.

I disagree. In assigning responsibility, one needs to determine causation. The cause of the crash was clearly the responsibility of the truck driver. The responsibility of that driver driving that truck that day and time clearly belongs to his employer and the State of Massachusetts. Therein lies the responsibility. Could they have ridden in a manner that would have ameliorated some of the danger and perhaps saved a life or two? Of course, but that is NOT responsibility. By your definition of responsibility, just the mere fact of their all choosing to ride that day makes them responsible. Not so.

Mike
I do agree with you in the cause of the actual crash, but note that the author puts alot of blame for the crash elsewhere. Basically, the driver messed up. That caused the crash.
The cause of the high death toll can be dibbied up. And Brillot20000 is right.

We just had a dump truck driver with a pup loose control accidently or on purpose (he was on meth) and slam into a bunch of cars and then took out a whole coffee house. He had a record of infractions in Idaho including driving felones and was on parole in Idaho for same. He was working in WA and the news wont say who he was working for. What caused that crash?

Think of what causes accidents. The reasons can be many and varied or simple. Air France 447 is a prime example.
..."the reason the pilots lost control of the aircraft had remained a mystery"

Every airline pilot I have talked to about this says the same thing. These guys were airplane drivers with no time flying aerobatics. Were the pitot tubes the problem or were the pilots'ignorance on what to do in an emergency the problem? Or Poor training? I know a simulator operator for United Airlines in Denver. His job is to make things interesting for pilots in the simulator, just like what they did to me in Aviation school in the simulators there.
(note that with Air France, the real reason was white washed)

I agree that the author assigns responsibility elsewhere and rightfully so, but the author also rightfully did NOT assign any responsibility to the riders. In your assessment of the accident, you indicated that the riders bear a measure of responsibility. That is what I disagree with. The riders were innocent victims.

I agree that the author assigns responsibility elsewhere and rightfully so, but the author also rightfully did NOT assign any responsibility to the riders. In your assessment of the accident, you indicated that the riders bear a measure of responsibility. That is what I disagree with. The riders were innocent victims.
We as riders have the responsibility of maintaining our 360° situation awareness when riding at all times. Next is keeping our attention on the road scanning for hazardous conditions or situations from other vehicles or from the road itself. Then being prepared to act to though situations wether it being slowing, swerving, controlled hard braking, accelerating, or finding an escape path to avoid a potentially dangerous situation.

In the case of the victims, to lack a better term from the story. A truck drifting into your lane on a two-lane road suddenly at high speed could be quite difficult to plan for and react to. I wasn’t there, so I cannot draw any final conclusions to the real cause of the unfortunate circumstances.

We as riders have the responsibility of maintaining our 360° situation awareness when riding at all times. Next is keeping our attention on the road scanning for hazardous conditions or situations from other vehicles or from the road itself. Then being prepared to act to though situations wether it being slowing, swerving, controlled hard braking, accelerating, or finding an escape path to avoid a potentially dangerous situation.

In the case of the victims, to lack a better term from the story. A truck drifting into your lane on a two-lane road suddenly at high speed could be quite difficult to plan for and react to. I wasn’t there, so I cannot draw any final conclusions to the real cause of the unfortunate circumstances.
Would love to see the police report. I know when my dept had a fatal, they sent out a team of detectives with some high tech equipment to measure everything they could, get statements, etc. And take lots of pics.
Depending on the state and laws and law suits, blame is or could be proportional. I dropped out of the VFR group on FB when people would post vids of themselves doing 100 plus mph on curvy mountain roads. One guy posted a vid of himself coming around a curve at full chat and a jeep was just pulling out onto the highway to his right to make a left hand turn. It jammed on its brakes and he jamed on his and swerved around the jeep nose. And HE cussed the jeep driver! So if there would have been an accident, who would have been at fault?
In the case of the Marines. clearly the first bikes to go down were victums of a felon. As Brillot2000 says, we werent there and would have to get a copy of the report to find out if other bikes were breaking the law. Maybe if the other bikes were leaving three seconds following distance, they STILL couldnt avoid the accident. But maybe some more would have been injured and not dead. I still agree with Mike that the cause of the accident was the nut behind the truck wheel. What causes such a huge death toll is in question.

I'm not into the details of this fatal crash but to me riding side-by-side is never a good idea. There's so much wind noise at speed + exhaust sounds that normal conversation is nearly impossible so why choose to ride side-by-side?

And it pretty much negates the idea of "Ride your own ride" for safety. :)

Back
Top Bottom