Yamaha XMAX

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Well I went and did it. I just got back from my local motorcycle dealership with a 2019 Yamaha XMAX 300 maxi scooter. They gave me a good trade in on my NT and it is now gone. Sad to see it go. It was my daily all seasons commuter for 9 years. As I approach retirement I felt something smaller and less top heavy would be more to my liking. As I put in some more miles on the XMAX I will give a report on it. It sure felt weird riding home not having to operate a clutch and sitting upright.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Enjoy your new scoot, Warren! I may be headed that way one day. Let us know what you think.

Mike

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
that's surprising. I guess retirement longer trips are NOT on your agenda

OP
OP
Warren

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Nope. Any long trips will be with my wife and she is not into two wheel travel. Our long trips will be by airplane our ship.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Nine years ago, we bought a Yamaha Majesty. 400cc single cylinder scooter, much like the XMAX. We had a 500 Kawasaki at the time, which was replaced with an NT which was replaced with a Gold Wing trike which was replaced (a month ago) with a Polaris Slingshot. The "little" Yammie will do 70 mph two up all day long.
Especially nice to have something like that sitting next to the trike or the Slingshot. Sometimes you just GOTTA see the horizon tilt.
You're going to love it.

I bought a Suzuki Burgman 400 a couple of months ago and now have about 2000 miles on it. I'm very happy with it and glad that I didn't choose to go with a trike. I guess I just like to lean. I've given the NT to my son-in-law who just passed the MSF course. Maybe by next year we both can go to the WV meetup.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Barry - I'm glad you're happy with the Burgman 400 and as I may have mentioned, I have 3 good riding pals who have that model. Two of them stepped down from the Burgman 650 because they didn't care for its additional weight but they did like the extra power! See you and your son-in-law next year, plus Tom!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think about my last years of riding alot now. I think I will go the Chuck H. route of something like his decked out Versys 300. Certainly capable of two lane western highway camping trips at perhaps a slower pace than the FJR but still preferable to sitting in front of the boob tube watching "I Love Lucy" reruns.....One of my favorite books is "I see by my outfit" By Peter S. Beagle. Its the story of two guys in the 1950s that ride 2 Vespas from NY to California. You can tour on just about any bike and have fun...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
+2 on using any bike or scooter to tour.

Long before the term "touring bike" was ever created, guys were riding across the country on Honda 250s and 305s and they were considered medium-sized bikes. :)

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I remember a youtube series from a recent college grad that toured on a Burgman 400. I guess he had the summer off and just rode around the country and visited friends and family. I believe you can tour on anything. You could do a lot on a maxi-scooter with a topbox.

I know my DR650 was probably a little better suited to Highway travel than say an versys 300, but it only had 35HP. It is not like it is what most people think of superslab mile muncher. I still did multiple days over 700 miles on it. It even carried me from Spearfish to home in one long day (over 900 miles). I took that bike everywhere! There were some long highway days that were not fun, but I think that holds true for most motorcycles. The interstate is just a neccessary means to get to where you WANT to go. It carried me on my longest trip yet in 2013 where I was away from home for over 2 weeks and did a lot of camping all over the western half of the country. When I was riding along the coast in California and on the narrow roads in the Sierra mountains, it felt like the perfect bike for those roads. In some cases the smaller bikes are actually better. While in Yosemite, I was able to park and stop at places cars or really big bikes could not. It was crowded but I could always find a place.

I would do a similar journey on a versys 300.

Attachments

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My first tour was a high school grad present from my folks. I flew from Illinois to Denver, went to Estes Park, rented a 90 cc street/trail bike and went over trail ridge road and camped in the forests to the west of Rocky Mountain National park.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I remember a youtube series from a recent college grad that toured on a Burgman 400. I guess he had the summer off and just rode around the country and visited friends and family. I believe you can tour on anything. You could do a lot on a maxi-scooter with a topbox.

I know my DR650 was probably a little better suited to Highway travel than say an versys 300, but it only had 35HP. It is not like it is what most people think of superslab mile muncher. I still did multiple days over 700 miles on it. It even carried me from Spearfish to home in one long day (over 900 miles). I took that bike everywhere! There were some long highway days that were not fun, but I think that holds true for most motorcycles. The interstate is just a neccessary means to get to where you WANT to go. It carried me on my longest trip yet in 2013 where I was away from home for over 2 weeks and did a lot of camping all over the western half of the country. When I was riding along the coast in California and on the narrow roads in the Sierra mountains, it felt like the perfect bike for those roads. In some cases the smaller bikes are actually better. While in Yosemite, I was able to park and stop at places cars or really big bikes could not. It was crowded but I could always find a place.

I would do a similar journey on a versys 300.
So true....The 300 has surprising ergonomics....yes it has a small engine and light weight, but it feels good....

Top Bottom