YKnot's Big Lid Upgrade...

YKnot

Well, I finally got around to installing the large lids that I got from Redbird earlier this month. I thought I would be okay with the darker grey against my silver bike with black trim. However, with the scratches on the lids, the bike resembled more of a patchwork quilt. The solution was simple. Refinish the lids so that they matched the bike and eliminate the scratches.

The first solution that I tossed around was using "Plasti-Dip". The idea seemed easy enough: Sand down the scratches, smooth out the surface, spray on Plasti-Dip, and peel off any over-spray. However, after reading reviews, I determined that this would be a temporary solution at best. Plasti-Dip gives a dull (matte) finish that is easily scratched and easily removed and replaced. I needed something much more durable and long lasting.

Then I found kenstone's refinished lids. He used the spray cans of Dupli-Color Black Bed Liner (from NAPA). $12 later, I had picked one up at the local NAPA. After sanding down the lids to get the scratches out and allow for the bed liner to stick to it, I taped off the Dueaville logos and put 3 coats of bed liner on the lids. After letting them sit for 24 hours, I was able to put them on the bike, and I am impressed with how it all came out.

Here are some pictures of the process and end result...

Before:

OP
OP

YKnot

...and here is the End Product:

As you can see below, the texture is different from the plastic pieces. However, it takes close inspection to notice the differences.

You can also see here that the bedliner at 3 coats thick isn't very thick. However, it is easily repairable and very durable.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Looks great! I'm just finishing up my big lids the same way. Next thing is to get rid of the pannier latching mechanism and install dual latches on each side.

If we ride together, folks won't be able to tell us apart! :wink:

kenstone

YKnot:
Looking good right there:cool:
Seeing the pic of you actually spraying reminded me of something I do that helps in the process.

I taped a spray can lid (anything will work) inside the lid to use as a handle while I sprayed them, so I could get the edges painted all the way into the inside.
And I put a plastic bag over my left hand/arm while holding the lid, so it doesn't get sprayed too:redface:
Ken

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Great job! When Honda built motorcycles in Marysville, the saddlebag lids were sprayed by humans because the robots were unable to handle all those compound curves in a relatively small area.

Has anyone ever refinished the silver lids (with normal paint) and if so, what was the brand and color code of spray paint used?

OP
OP

YKnot

Thanks for the complements! I am pretty happy with how they turned out. There is one spot that I had some run from getting too close, but I don't think anyone will notice. (Note to self: Not a professional painter)

Next thing is to get rid of the pannier latching mechanism and install dual latches on each side.
I am seriously starting to consider this the more I read of other peoples problems with the latch system. Also, the larger lids do seem to take more effort to line up correctly. Of course, I am also fighting the shoulder strap on my new Deauville bags that my wife got me for our anniversary.

I taped a spray can lid (anything will work) inside the lid to use as a handle while I sprayed them, so I could get the edges painted all the way into the inside.
And I put a plastic bag over my left hand/arm while holding the lid, so it doesn't get sprayed too:redface:
I used to do something similar. I would take pieces and mount them on a saw horse or elevated painting platform to paint them. Since these are plastic I wasn't worried about getting passed the edges. This is mostly cosmetic. :)

...and thanks for the idea. These things look and feel great in person.

Has anyone ever refinished the silver lids (with normal paint) and if so, what was the brand and color code of spray paint used?
I was tempted to do this, but I kept kicking my small lids (luckily I haven't scratched them yet). I was afraid the thin paint wouldn't hold up. That is why kenstone's idea was exactly what I needed.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I think they look great Mark. Glad to see them back in use. Now you and Tera can pack for camping without being quite so space constrained.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
That looks great! I can see why people would want the hard bed liner finish. I don't need to paint my lids yet, but I recently refurbished my black plastic bits with Plasti-dip and found it worked so well that I would probably try it on my lids as well. It has less of a texture and less matte than then bed liner. By the way, it was only "easily scratched" when it was first applied and drying completely. After a couple of days it proved to be a very durable even if it is not-permenant. You really have to work to peel it off and get it started. I know, because I screwed up one piece and ended up peeling the plasti-dip off the one piece. All the other pieces still look great and I have rode the NT a lot since applying it. If anything the plasti-dip has the advantage precisely because it is not permanent and is removable. Please don't let these comments come across as negative to those who choose the dupli-color bed liner. I think it is a great option too.

OP
OP

YKnot

I think they look great Mark. Glad to see them back in use. Now you and Tera can pack for camping without being quite so space constrained.
Thanks, again for the large lids! These things make the NT much more usable.

I hope everything is getting back to normal in Colorado after the floods. I did see they opened 119 up after I got back to Texas. That was one of my favorite drives/rides in high school and college.

OP
OP

YKnot

That looks great! I can see why people would want the hard bed liner finish. I don't need to paint my lids yet, but I recently refurbished my black plastic bits with Plasti-dip and found it worked so well that I would probably try it on my lids as well. It has less of a texture and less matte than then bed liner. By the way, it was only "easily scratched" when it was first applied and drying completely. After a couple of days it proved to be a very durable even if it is not-permenant. You really have to work to peel it off and get it started. I know, because I screwed up one piece and ended up peeling the plasti-dip off the one piece. All the other pieces still look great and I have rode the NT a lot since applying it. If anything the plasti-dip has the advantage precisely because it is not permanent and is removable. Please don't let these comments come across as negative to those who choose the dupli-color bed liner. I think it is a great option too.
Good to know. I am thinking about getting some Plasti-Dip and changing all the silver parts of the bike to black as an experiment... but my wife is not crazy about the idea of a black bike. Again, as you said, it isn't permanent. :)

Mark. That was a very nice job. My lids are scratched but the latches are broken yet. I'll wait until they perhaps fail and then get the big lids. Once I scratch them, I now know exactly what to do with them. Looks excellent.

Terry

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Good to know. I am thinking about getting some Plasti-Dip and changing all the silver parts of the bike to black as an experiment... but my wife is not crazy about the idea of a black bike. Again, as you said, it isn't permanent. :)
Funny you mention that. A website that specialized in plasti-dip (dipyourcar.com or something like that) has a real nice white variant. It is still kind-of a soft matte finish but looks like a nice white bright. They have examples posted on their site of a high end car done with it. I thought about painting my silver pieces white. I think they would be pretty easy. I am not sure how easy the front fender comes off though. I am guessing 4 cans at $8.00 would cover all the painted pieces. Might make a good winter project.

OP
OP

YKnot

Funny you mention that. A website that specialized in plasti-dip (dipyourcar.com or something like that) has a real nice white variant. It is still kind-of a soft matte finish but looks like a nice white bright. They have examples posted on their site of a high end car done with it. I thought about painting my silver pieces white. I think they would be pretty easy. I am not sure how easy the front fender comes off though. I am guessing 4 cans at $8.00 would cover all the painted pieces. Might make a good winter project.
Yep. I have come across that site. I don't think I would go that far into it (mixing, compressor, spray gun, etc...), but I would rattle can it to get a look and some paint protection. It's a thought, but I have more pressing projects now.

Among them: Top Box LED lighting upgrades, Headlight HID Projector Conversion, Adding Auxiliary/Fog Lights, and Improving Wind Protection.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Great job! When Honda built motorcycles in Marysville, the saddlebag lids were sprayed by humans because the robots were unable to handle all those compound curves in a relatively small area.

I have not had to paint my silver lids but if you want an exact match Color Rite sells the correct paint in a spray can. A little pricy so I can see why you might want something close off the shelf.

slider

I plasti dipped my pickup grille quite a while ago. Looks new today. That stuff is badass.

slider

I just taped around everything and over the center logo then sprayed three thin coats. No peeling and no chips. Surprisingly nice.

OP
OP

YKnot

I just taped around everything and over the center logo then sprayed three thin coats. No peeling and no chips. Surprisingly nice.
...I have to convince the wife that it is something she wants to do. :)

Top Bottom