Z8s versus PR3s

Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
When the OEMs wear down...

I had Continental Road Attacks and Z8s on the BMW RT. Liked both, but would get the Z8s over the Contis; better mileage on the Zs. Never had a chance to try the PR3s before trading in the RT. My main concern is mileage as all these tires are very good in the rain. Anyone have long-mileage experience with both the Z8s and the PR3s? (The BMW 1200C wore ME 880s---supremely great mileage---but, since I don't really like veering away from the manufacturer's original tire size specs, I am not considering them.)

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Can't help you on the tires, but I love your avatar. A scene, one my favorites, from the movie, "Waking Ned Divine." right?

OP
OP
gcantella
Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
I don't know about the "Waking Ned Divine" thing; never saw the movie. A friend of mine saw it as he was surfing the web and it reminded him of me. Why it reminded him of me I have no clue, I wear a full-face helmet!

PS---

How does one get one of those US maps like the one that I see in your signature?

OP
OP
gcantella
Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
OK, just read the Mottorad test results on a bunch of tires, including the Metzeler Z8s and the Michelin PR3s. The Z8s, even though they don't look it to me (must be the rubber compound), beat the PR3s in wet road testing. Many, if not most of you, ride on the PR3s and love their wet road handling. That means that the choice between the two, at least for me, hinges solely on mileage. I'm going to try the Z8s first, then, after I wear them out, I'll compare them to the PR3s.

I'll get back to you all in about 65,000 miles. Don't any of you hold your breath.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
We will be holding our breath. Please let us know sometime in the next couple of months how many miles you get out of the Z8s. As far as I know you'll be the first of us to try them.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Can't help you on the tires, but I love your avatar. A scene, one my favorites, from the movie, "Waking Ned Divine." right?
Yep, This is the late actor David Kelly riding naked to the rescue in that movie. The closing scene, with a great rendition of "The Parting Glass" is really neat.

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
The mailman just delivered my PR3's to my work place......now for some warm weather to ride my NT 30 miles to my dealer to get them installed some weekend. Original Bridgestones about gone at 6,000 miles. I was surprised they came by mail, $291.56 , free shipping from Amazon.....got them in 2 days.
Great service. They wouldn't fit in the mailbox, so postman called one of our salesmen to meet him at the mailbox out front of the Deere dealership.

OP
OP
gcantella
Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
Rich, I'll have to see the movie. The photo is just something I found while searching for an interesting picture for an avatar. Kinda looks like Mr. Kelly was already well on his way to being the late Mr. Kelly when that scene was filmed...RIP.

Phil, don't start holding your breath until May, that's when I figure the OEM Bridgestones will need replacing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gcantella
Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
Just changed tires to the PR3s. Even though the Metzeler site says that the Z8s come in NT size, the dealer says they are not available in our size. I'm guessing they are available in Europe, but not here in the US. Oh well, so much for the experiment.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
My rear PR3 only lasted 7700 miles, but my front is up to 13K and counting...seems to be cupping a bit but plenty of tread
I replaced the rear with a BT023 and I can tell its not going to do much better than the Michelin

I have been told that the roads in Colorado and AZ and Nevada are like billiard tables compared to ours in TX. That's the only thing I can think of why Rick gets so much use out of his.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
I just had a set of Metzeler Z8s installed in July. So far so good, but I haven't had a chance to give them a real test. In a couple weeks, I'm riding to The Dragon with a buddy, so I'll get to wring 'em out there. If I remember, I'll post a report when I get back. I got over 20K miles out of Metzeler ME880s on my Vulcan 750, so I have high hopes for very long mileage from the Z8s.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
That is a better explanation because the roads in Colorado have 2 seasons: Winter and Road Construction.
I dont buy it
I know I dont ride any harder than the rest of the guys. Riding in the fast lane cant explain the inexplicable longevity Rick enjoys with his rear tires
I know the 1000 miles I rode in CO this summer the roads were like butter compared to Texas FM roads

YKnot

I dont buy it
I know I dont ride any harder than the rest of the guys. Riding in the fast lane cant explain the inexplicable longevity Rick enjoys with his rear tires
I know the 1000 miles I rode in CO this summer the roads were like butter compared to Texas FM roads
I have ridden off-road trails that were "like butter compared to Texas FM roads". ;)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Yeah - the chip seal is pretty tough on tires. Texas used to have amazingly good roads, but they have fallen in quality the past few years.

What gets me about the chip seal is that it is so abrasive, you would think it would help with stopping. But what seems to happen is that there are two tracks in each lane where vehicles have laid down rubber - and those lanes are slicker than snot on a door knob.

At any rate - I just put a PR3 on the rear - we'll see what I get from it.

OP
OP
gcantella
Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
Just for info...

changed the original 020s at 14,000 miles. How did I get so much mileage out of these Bridgestones? I didn't, I should have changed them at 12,000---down to the wear mark and pretty heavy cupping up front. Let's see what I get out of the P3s. Won't let them get as bad as I did the 020s before replacing.

Top Bottom