Zumo 550

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I recently purchased a Zumo 550. I have looked at all the posts about mounting a GPS and about using a Fuseblock to wire it in on the NT. The Fuseblock allows you to connect a device for switched or unswitched. It would seem to me that having the GPS wired to the switched side makes sense but maybe I am not aware of a benefit to having it powered all the time. Any insight would be appreciated.

Warren,

I connected my GPS (a Garmin 2720) to an unswitched (always on) circuit in my Fuzeblock. There are times when it's important (or at least useful) to know total elapsed time. Like on a Rally or a timed ride such as an Iron Butt SaddleSore of BunBurner.

If the GPS switches off when the key's turned off, you lose that info. Also, there are times when I want to leave it on just so it'll be right there when I'm ready to ride again. By leaving it always on, I don't have to wait through the start-up process again.

I don't leave the GPS on for overnight very often. It pulls enough power that after a few days the battery won't have enough "ooomph" to crank the engine. When I've left it on on cold nights, it put out enough heat to keep the frost melted off the windscreen on my Connie. It doesn't do that on the NT because of where I've got it mounted.

Paul do you know if the accessory plug is fused and what was the part number of the harness, or is that the same for the heated grips? Thanks.

MAC,

I think it's the part that is required to use the heated grips. Don't know part #.

Have the part #'s at home the heated grips or a power point use the same cable and it is good for one each acc. and it is fused. You need to go back to the battery for anything over one... why the extenter stuff is so popular...

Back
Top Bottom