oil filters

This is what can happen if the longer filters are used.

Brad

Attachments

• 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 67
I really don't care how much they cost (within reason). I am another who uses the K&N. Stopped using Fram years ago after seeing some comparisons. I'll have to cut apart my K&N next time to see how they look on the inside.

The killer is changing oil on the truck. Diesel.

8-Ball is right--K&N 204 is the proper filter for the NT-700. The 303 is too long.

I had a bad experience with Fram once....... , and no offense to anyone...I am sure there are some good filters out there...but I am considering an extended warrenty and even though the Honda filter is expensive, I will not ride my NT more than 8,000 a year anyway and plan to just put on one Honda filter a year. And keep the receipts in my maintenance log....

Nothing wrong with Honda OEM, WIX, NAPA, and K&N. I like K&N because they have a proven track record and are easy to change. Am not a fan of FRAM either.

Earlier I said Fram 6012. That is wrong!!! Its a 6017. That is what happens when ya have 4 bikes...sorry

I'll have to find a substitute for the Honda OEM for my 1973 CB550K. I got two OEM filters and went into sticker shock.

Earlier I said Fram 6012. That is wrong!!! Its a 6017. That is what happens when ya have 4 bikes...sorry

I'm pretty sure the 6017 is a long one. It can get dented or cut by the centerstand. See my earlyer post with cut in filter housing pic.
Be careful. I went to a 6607 which is a little shorter and clears the centerstand.

Brad

I checked Walmart's catalog for oil filters and it specified a Fram PH6017A for a 700cc Honda DN01. It cost $6.47. It is a 2.5 inch one and labeled as a motorcycle oil filter. Does anyone know if this will fit our NT700V's? Should I stick with the Fram PH6607?
Thanks,
Joe

I checked Walmart's catalog for oil filters and it specified a Fram PH6017A for a 700cc Honda DN01. It cost $6.47. It is a 2.5 inch one and labeled as a motorcycle oil filter. Does anyone know if this will fit our NT700V's? Should I stick with the Fram PH6607?
Thanks,
Joe

I believe the 2.5" filters are ok. I ended up buying a 10 pack of Honda OEM filters and crush filters on the internet. The filters cost about $9.00 each which is way more than the $3.00 Walmart ST6607 filters but I am satisfied that they will fit and are acceptable quality. After a lot of research I also plan to switch to Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic oil. I have been using 15-40 diesel oil.

Last edited:
Thanks,
Joe
The Fram PH6017 is too long, stick with the PH6607.

I finally measured the 6617 and it is 2.75 inches so my first comment was incorrect. I returned it and found that Walmart now carries a Fram Xtended Guard (XG6607) costing a little over $8. The box claims 10,000 miles of protection.
Joe

I use OEM, Mobil 1, Motorcraft and Wix filters ONLY (NT gets a Mobil 1). I would not use a Fram if they were free. Remember...your mileage may vary.

Katherine,

do you have the web site to order 12? would appreciate the link, thanks

The Honda OEM part number is 15410-MFJ-D01. If you go into your search engine with that part number you should be able to find all kinds of places that sell them. I have not seen 12 packs but I have seen 10 packs. The best price I came across was $92.99 for a 10 pack from directlineparts.com but I am sure if you dig enough you can find many others. I did purchase a 10 pack which should last me for a while. Also get the crush washers while you are at it.

Back
Top Bottom