“Tour da UP IX

"On the road to Grand Maris.....
Where the mighty fishes play......
While fishing was seldom spectacular, Northerns were fun to catch and release.
Of the 40 years I was encarcerated in the Midwest, I never thought to ride up there...I did ride to Maine.
Chris, you might be thinking of Grand Maris MN which is on the NW side of Lake Superior. I was in Grand Maris MI which is on the SE side of the Big Lake. Ya, I know it's' confusing. Similarly I'm in Iron River WI which is on US 2 about 150 miles west of Iron River MI which is also on US 2. I've seen the look on people's faces when they show up looking for the motel and find out that they are in the wrong Iron River. To make matters worse, between the two Iron Rivers there is also Ironwood, Iron Belt, and Iron Mountain. And none of these are anywhere near the Iron Range of MN. We need paper maps!
 
Child bride and I went to that part of the world a number of times. Beautiful.View attachment 24343
We've had a few trips to the Boundry Waters and to Isle Royal too. Transported our canoes over on the ferry from Grand Maris MN and canoed the shoreline. Portaged to one inland lake. That was about 20 years ago. I've since sold my canoes. I never did fish very much. The water there is COLD! There was still ice stuck to the big rocks on the shoreline of Isle Royal in early July.

Canoeing in BWCA 20 years ago.
000_0694.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom