OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Just a quick note from Lanna at the campground:

Joe and fellow ST group, I will be honored to host your event again this coming June. I have set the same tent area and pavilion aside for your group. The same rate will apply $ 15 per person.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Time to make my reservation....by the way...for all those going, here is a tip....If you are going to Custer state park or in the Greater yellowstone ecosystem, dont get trapped in a buff jam....
1711686904707.png

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yeah.. kinda funny.. you really can't even use 1 lifetime to get any actual trend for the environment.. maybe not even 1,000 lifetimes... or a million.. lol
I would have agreed with you in the past. Things got hot, then things got cold, and repeat....the continents drifted around....took millions of years but there were always regulators that would pull things back...too much heat and CO2? More plants took care of that....
Then we had shorter term events...The little ice age in Europe, for instance. People still argue about that one.

And of course now the East Coast of the US is having issues...Navy base flooding....to WA DC cherry trees dieing due to salt water....
Here in Spokane, we have had not only a long term drought but the summers are way hotter, putting heat stress on the pine trees who are fighting for too little water....I have trees dieing all over my land, despite 15 years of thinning....WA state has more glaciers than Glacier nat park.....but for how long....the glaciers in MT are dissappearing just like they are in Glacier Bay Nat park in Alaska.
Just got back from Helena MT. Not alot of snow in the mountains and the rivers are not running high....People can argue till the cows come home on what causes what for how long....but you cant argue with the fact that Europe is trying to cover its glaciers to keep from loosing all of them and in the last 50 years, 1/3 of all North American Birds are gone....
Here is what the Gates of the Mountains of the Missouri River looked like last weekend.....
1714539027080.png

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I think that pretty much everyone is in agreement that some change is occurring in the climate as it has over the eons. The question and where the disagreement lies is in the presumed cause of said change. Certain groups fear that the cause of the climate change is man made due to our use of fossil fuels. They back-up their claim by insisting that "all" the eminent scientists agree and that the science is settled. They maintain that since there is a scientific "consensus" those who disagree present a danger to mankind in their stubborness to accept this "consensus". First of all, the science is not settled! There are many eminent scientists who disagree with the "consensus" and have their statistics to show that the climate is just showing its natural variation. Science, by it's very nature is never settled. All it takes is one contradictory piece of evidence and the "settled" science is out the window. As an example, in the middle ages and beyond all swans were believed to be white. There was never a recorded example of a swan being any other color than white, thus the "consensus" was that science had "settled" on the fact that swans were white. End of discussion! Except in 1697 Dutch mariners traveled to Australia and discovered of all things, black swans! Thus hundreds of years of science and consensus was thrown right out the window! Consensus does not make a theory irrefutable. Early man accepted the "fact" that the movements of the stars and planets were geocentric. Then a young upstart by the name of Copernicus put forth a radical theory that contrary to settled science and the consensus of the scholars of the day is that the earth and the other planets rotated around the sun. Copernicus theory was later confirmed by Johannes Kepler with his three laws of planetary motion.

In summary, I hope I didn't bore you with my treatise. Just be skeptical of the premise of "settled science" and "consensus". Challenge your assumptions about what you "know" to be true and be willing to listen to alternative arguments when they are presented.

Climbing down from my soapbox,

Mike
:soapbox:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think that pretty much everyone is in agreement that some change is occurring in the climate as it has over the eons. The question and where the disagreement lies is in the presumed cause of said change. Certain groups fear that the cause of the climate change is man made due to our use of fossil fuels. They back-up their claim by insisting that "all" the eminent scientists agree and that the science is settled. They maintain that since there is a scientific "consensus" those who disagree present a danger to mankind in their stubborness to accept this "consensus". First of all, the science is not settled! There are many eminent scientists who disagree with the "consensus" and have their statistics to show that the climate is just showing its natural variation. Science, by it's very nature is never settled. All it takes is one contradictory piece of evidence and the "settled" science is out the window. As an example, in the middle ages and beyond all swans were believed to be white. There was never a recorded example of a swan being any other color than white, thus the "consensus" was that science had "settled" on the fact that swans were white. End of discussion! Except in 1697 Dutch mariners traveled to Australia and discovered of all things, black swans! Thus hundreds of years of science and consensus was thrown right out the window! Consensus does not make a theory irrefutable. Early man accepted the "fact" that the movements of the stars and planets were geocentric. Then a young upstart by the name of Copernicus put forth a radical theory that contrary to settled science and the consensus of the scholars of the day is that the earth and the other planets rotated around the sun. Copernicus theory was later confirmed by Johannes Kepler with his three laws of planetary motion.

In summary, I hope I didn't bore you with my treatise. Just be skeptical of the premise of "settled science" and "consensus". Challenge your assumptions about what you "know" to be true and be willing to listen to alternative arguments when they are presented.

Climbing down from my soapbox,

Mike
:soapbox:
But....but...AlGore got the Nobel peace prize. Then the media started renameing things to fit political pigeon holes. Global warming became climate change due to inconvienant truths. Anti this becomes pro that. Ask Chuck about media credability.. :)

Top Bottom