2nd Nat'l NT Rally - Jul 12-15, 2012 - Spearfish, SD

When I was riding my Connies, Concours Owners Group National Rallies were a moveable feast. Volunteers would propose to host the next year's rally and the COG Board would choose the site and announce at the current year's site. Usually they chose from a whole host of options numbering in the low (very low) single digits.

The hosts would arrange for a host hotel/motel with a preferential rate, the hosts would beg for swag from industry sponsors, the hosts would outline rides and activities, the hosts would handle registration, T-shirts and other rally-specific stuff, they'd arrange for and stuff Rally tote bags.

It was more work than I ever want to do again. I'm liking the low-stress, show-up kind of rally that had last year and this year.

There are some advantages to a big, well-organized rally, but I'm not sure what they are given the low numbers of NTs out there.

I also watched COG's organizational structure become politicized and fractious, and think that something as organized as what we've got here -- a Forum with a (relatively :rolleyes1: ) benevolent dictator like Mellow works very well.

I "organized" the 2011 NT National Rally by naming a place. We didn't get very many of us there (was it seven or eight?), but we had fun.

Yeah, life is way too short to stress over an event that is basically about hanging out with friends.

Twisted Throttle sent me a list of what their sending for the event. I was going to have them send it to me and I'd just pack it on the bike like I've done with the giveaways for previous events. Well, they insisted I should get the campground to take delivery, okay fine, they did which is cool...

Well, they are sending 4 boxes w/total weight of 150lbs of 'stuff'.. .holy cow.... that includes 100 rally bags, 100 30-day 10% off gift certs and 300 decals along w/100 catalogs and other items not to mention the grad prizes of the dryspec bags and $100 gift cert... might as well call this one the Twisted Throttle National NT Rally.. LOL

I can't thank them enough for helping to make this a great event and looks like everyone should walk away with something - and we have 100-ish folks between the ST and NT crowds that have committed to showing up.

LOL, Mellow! I can almost guarantee that I won't get a thing. I went to 9 Concours Rallies over 10 years and the only thing I ever got was a size SMALL t-shirt from Rider Wearhouse at the 2nd one I attended.

I was the registrar for four of those rallies and helped plan and put one of them on, but I was the kiss of death as far as getting my name pulled from the hat.

You're in luck Phil.. I'm basically the organizer and my name is not in the hat for any of the giveaways as I'm the one holding the bag-o-tickets so I'm disqualified... you're chances just increased.

Well I think it's only fair that our hard working moderators get something. Mellow, how about sending Phil one of those catalogs? :wink:

Well I think it's only fair that our hard working moderators get something. Mellow, how about sending Phil one of those catalogs? :wink:

Well... we'll see.. LOL He might have to pay shipping.

Thank you very much... I've already got a box full of Twisted Throttle catalogs, but one more would be welcome.

I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of folks who are only Forum names to me now. I'll put you on my list!

I keep driving my employees crazy by coming up with remakes of songs ...

I'm going to the country to meet a lot of Motorcyclists ....

top it off that I cant sing, carry a note well, not good at the substitutions (see above) and well they are all ready for me to go on the trip!

I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of folks who are only Forum names to me now. I'll put you on my list!
(Chris back from darkest Oregon) Thanks Phil for reminding me...I think I am gonna have to make a cheet sheet with people's forum names, real names,
pictures, etc. I will be easy to remember...I have a name tag that has "Chris" Spelled upsidedown do I can read it and know who I am.....
Almost time to leave....heat heat go away, come again some other day

The long range forecast has me riding home from Spearfish in the rain with temps in the low 70s. I was working on the bike in the garage today and it was 103. I think I can stand being cool for a few hours...and I'll have the heated jacket with me if I need it.

Right now, it looks pretty good. Temps in the low 80s and mostly dry and sunny until Sunday.

I'm bringing 150 nametags to stick on your shirt and a marker to write your forum name and real name. Hope that helps.

well I have the same name face problem, so you won't be alone in that.

Thanks Mellow!

I'm bringing 150 nametags to stick on your shirt and a marker to write your forum name and real name. Hope that helps.

Good idea. That will work great until some pranksters start switching name tags (I doubt that could happen in this group). That would really screw me up. I'm looking forward to the trip as well as meeting all the new people here.

Back
Top Bottom