Aarrghh!!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My CeeBailey +4" screen (my 3rd CeeBailey +4" screen!), had cracked about a year and a half ago. I stop-drilled it and it made it to Houston last summer on the Epic Ride, when the crack jumped about an inch. I stop-drilled it at my brother-in-law's house before we had dinner with Chuck500 and it lasted until today.

I was on my way home to Fort Morgan from Rocky Ford and stopped in Limon at McDonald's. When I pulled back onto the road, somewhere between McDonalds and CO-71, the crack jumped about 6", curving down toward the bottom of the screen. It didn't grow any more as I rode the rest of the way home (about 86 miles).

I'll stop-drill it tomorrow, but I ordered a new screen a minute or two ago.

bicyclist

Some clear 2" plastic packing tape applied along the crack should help stabilize the windshield until the new one arrives. I'd put on a couple of layers.

I once made a temporary repair of a completely broken shield with tape. It held for the few hundred miles it took me to get home.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
If you were a short little guy like me, you could save yourself a lot of money Phil. ;)

A +4??? I'd have to stand up on the foot pegs to see over it. :rofl1:

Chris
Phil is a little short guy:rofl1:

Phil after three Cee Baily shields, I think I might try a different manufacture. My MRA Shield only breaks when the garage door rips it off the bike.:doh1:

kenstone

My CeeBailey +4" screen (my 3rd CeeBailey +4" screen!), had cracked about a year and a half ago. I stop-drilled it and it made it to Houston last summer on the Epic Ride, when the crack jumped about an inch. I stop-drilled it at my brother-in-law's house before we had dinner with Chuck500 and it lasted until today.

I was on my way home to Fort Morgan from Rocky Ford and stopped in Limon at McDonald's. When I pulled back onto the road, somewhere between McDonalds and CO-71, the crack jumped about 6", curving down toward the bottom of the screen. It didn't grow any more as I rode the rest of the way home (about 86 miles).

I'll stop-drill it tomorrow, but I ordered a new screen a minute or two ago.
Sorry to hear about your continueing problems
After your last thread about where the crack started I planned to take off my recently installed CeeBailey +2 and look at the mounting surfaces for sharp corners/edges that would create a stress point for a crack to start under wind pressure.
I plan to radius any sharp corners I find...
Because the install instruction give a torque value rather than to fully tightening the shoulder bolts, I may end up trying longer bolts to allow me to put some thin rubber sheet between the shield and the mounting surface and use the torque value given
Just trying to get ahead of any future problems.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
For the higher screen (I had a CB +6) I was going to add some stabilizers. Used to make me wary of failure every time I passed a semi at 80+ mph. Although it survived about 20k miles without a problem, all that flexing I felt it might fail at some point.

A couple of 1" wide strips of spring steel behind the screen that would extend up a few inches higher than the stock mounts. That would spread the stress out across the windshield instead of concentrating it at the upper bolt holes.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
You're not holding your mouth right when you ride

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Phil,

Have you every measured your windshield mounting points and compared them to another NT? As many windshields as you have been through I suspect your mounts are either not the specified dimensions or have a bow or a bend to them. It wouldn't take a lot of difference to "stress" the windshield and cause cracking.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Phil,
You have had too much trouble with these things!! Did you order another CEE BAILY? OR did you try someone else to see if you can get a better product????

I would be inclined to try on From the guy who does all of the IBR rallies etc out of so. CA.I can't remember the name of his shield. I bought one for my BMW R 850 r I thought it was quiet good, only problem I don't know if he is doing one for the NT !

I just looked through my Iron Butt MAG and no add in this quarter , BUT they did quite a feature on him and his products sometime in the past.

Eldon

Bike
AH HA! Aeroflow, only problem is that he doesn't show NT in his line, but he does do ST's

Greg Ortize is the name. Maybe give him a call??

Eldon

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The Aeroflow guy only does windscreens for BMWs as far as I know.

I like the CeeBailey screen. And if it helps them have a nice party every year, I'm good with that.

If this one breaks, I'll try the screen that Chuck's got.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
A couple of 1" wide strips of spring steel behind the screen that would extend up a few inches higher than the stock mounts. That would spread the stress out across the windshield instead of concentrating it at the upper bolt holes.
What about the appropriate size nylon shoulder washers.

Bike
Chuckskirst,

You have a st13 and the NT setting there side by side, How much differnace is there between the two windshiels? Aeroflow does a windshield for St1300's according to their website.

LOL We need to take care of Phil!!

Eldon

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Chuckskirst,

You have a st13 and the NT setting there side by side, How much differnace is there between the two windshiels? Aeroflow does a windshield for St1300's according to their website.

LOL We need to take care of Phil!!

Eldon
The two shields are completely different. The ST shield is a lot wider. The mounting holes have different locations and the ST1300 shield is electric. They are not interchangeable.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
What about the appropriate size nylon shoulder washers.
The problem is not at the screws. The plastic bit there does a good job of distributing the 'clamping' force of the mounting screws.

The problem with the larger screens is the long lever of the wind turbulence on the shield. Mine would flex around 2 inches when in high speed, heavy turbulence. The bracket on the bike just needs to be a bit longer.

Bike
The two shields are completely different. The ST shield is a lot wider. The mounting holes have different locations and the ST1300 shield is electric. They are not interchangeable.
Well so much for my idea !! Thanks for the info Chuck.

eldon

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Well, something is odd here. I just took off a perfectly good +4 Cee Bailey with 10K on it and put on a +6. I developed a torque wrench for the 3-5 in-Lbs needed by using a 5 mm allen wrench and a trigger pull gage.
If the new one cracks at some point, I want to know why....I don't run the screen up at the top notch in any case. BTW, Does anyone else get bug hits on the BACK of their windscreen?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
It is called back pressure. The shield develops a negative pressure behind it and the bugs get sucked into the back side of the shield. With some shields it is annoyingly noticeable to the rider so vents or slots are made into the shield. IE; the cat eyes my the ST1300 shield. Or the space at the bottom of the NT700 shield.

Attachments

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
BTW, Does anyone else get bug hits on the BACK of their windscreen?
If you run a CeeBailey,you'll get, just like wine-barr said, about 1/4 of your bugs on the back side of the window. I had a Clearview screen on my Connie that had a vent like a Goldwing in the screen and was mounted flush to the fairing at the base. I didn't get many bugs on the back of it, but still got a few.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I get fewer bug hits on my Cee Bailey because I trimmed some off the bottom. There is less turbulence behind the windscreen.

Top Bottom