Air filter box leaks

Bike
2010 NT700V
I was changing my steering bearings and while I there I decided to check on the air filter. Then realized that it was some fine dust in it (I forgot to take a photo). nothing major but need to be addressed. It came from the edge of the opening not sealing properly. All I could find was masking tape As a temporary fix. Anyone had this problem and is there a fix other then buying an other box ?
15AAFEE2-82FC-4400-98C4-598941D7C202.jpeg2B307F5B-8E92-48C3-BAC6-8209E4A1B7F6.jpeg

The airbox is designed to hold the air cleaner element firmly against the intake aperture thus preventing dirt/dust entering the engine. The airbox is not sealed as air has to enter the airbox somewhere.

As I recall, the NT has an unusual air filter set up. Air comes into the air box through the middle of the air filter, and the throttle body intakes are in the main airbox area. So there should be no dust anywhere in the air box. Normally, the air comes into the top portion of the air box, through the filter and into the lower section of the air box. The top section is dusty in this type of set up. You can buy the gasket that goes between the 2 halfs of the air box. Good idea if you are getting dirt or dust in the air box.

There's a small rubber snorkel on the air filter base, that's where the air enters. It inlets air just above the radiator.

i get small pavement rocks right near filter. have to use sweeper to suck them up. they get thrown up thru inlet

Perhaps I am mis-remembering the airbox design.....

:(

Mike

Fresh air comes into the airbox via a snorkel that takes in fresh air from just below the steering head and there is nothing to stop dust/dirt from coming into the airbox but it still has to get past the filter to do any damage.

I honestly don't think you have a problem.

I would agree, as long as the filter is not clogged the engine is getting filtered air. This area below the fuel tank just seems to collect all the road dust.

The stock NT filter paper is very robust and can be washed and dried and re-used, at least that's been my experience. I usually replace it only during a valve clearance check, and mostly because I'm in the area.

As I recall, the NT has an unusual air filter set up. Air comes into the air box through the middle of the air filter, and the throttle body intakes are in the main airbox area. So there should be no dust anywhere in the air box. Normally, the air comes into the top portion of the air box, through the filter and into the lower section of the air box. The top section is dusty in this type of set up. You can buy the gasket that goes between the 2 halfs of the air box. Good idea if you are getting dirt or dust in the air box.

The ST1300 has a very similar airbox setup where the air enters from the floor o the box and then through the filter into the cavity.

Your masking tape fix will start to peel off the first time you ride the bike. The heat from the engine will heat up the adhesive and it will curl up and eventually fall off completely. Masking tape has a low-tact adhesive meant to be easily removed without harming the surface it is stuck to.

Fresh air comes into the airbox via a snorkel that takes in fresh air from just below the steering head and there is nothing to stop dust/dirt from coming into the airbox but it still has to get past the filter to do any damage.

I honestly don't think you have a problem.
So my remembery of the intake system is correct. The airbox is not sealed. The air flows thru the filter into the throttle bodies as I explained earlier.

Mike

Here is a diagram. You may need new gaskets if you have dirt in there.

Brad1621387259575.png

1621387259575.png1621387259575.png

Question: Has anyone encountered mouse nests within the airbox following Winter storage? Can they get in there through the snorkel? I put a wire screen over the snorkel on other bikes to keep them out of there. Not sure if I need to do the same on the NT. I haven't seen any evidence they've been in there, but I haven't checked in a while either.

Question: Has anyone encountered mouse nests within the airbox following Winter storage? Can they get in there through the snorkel? I put a wire screen over the snorkel on other bikes to keep them out of there. Not sure if I need to do the same on the NT. I haven't seen any evidence they've been in there, but I haven't checked in a while either.

I suppose that's possible. I store my NT in a Zerust motorcycle bag during winter, they work great, no rust and no critters!

Thanks for the idea of changing the rubber seal. In the meantime I’m going to get some electric tape. Definitely better then the masking tape.

Thanks for the idea of changing the rubber seal. In the meantime I’m going to get some electric tape. Definitely better then the masking tape.
That gasket is $2.50....amazingly cheap. Make sure the 2 screws in each snorkel are tight.....they secure the bottom half of the air box to the throttle bodies. Also make sure the larger hoses that connect to the air box are attached.

just yesterday on spyder forum, a mouse nest was found in air ductwork. it does happen. mostly if a critter can get in / thru/ access where MC is stored

I've never had a mouse damage anything on one of my bikes, but one day as I was leaving the house in Ft Morgan, I had ridden about a block when a mouse climbed out of my tankbag and ran around on my lap and leg before I could knock him off. I was lucky not to crash!

If you do decide to do this. I would recommend that you make at least 2 revolutions around the airbox. 3 would be better if you are really worried about it.

I was in error when I mentioned that the o-ring seal between the air box halves is meaningless. That was my "senior moment" for the month or the week? 😢

I was just now looking for another photo and I ran across this pic I took a long time ago that shows the lower portion of the air box. The snorkel fits into the bottom of the airbox and feeds air to the inside of the air filter. In theory the airbox is filled with filtered air but any crud in the airbox can get sucked into the intake trumpets!

air box innard, from left.JPG

Last edited:
I was just now looking for another photo and I ran across this pic I took a long time ago that shows the lower portion of the air box. The snorkel fits into the bottom of the airbox and feeds air to the inside of the air filter. In theory the airbox is filled with filtered air but any crud in the airbox can get sucked into the intake trumpets!

View attachment 17750
You couldn’t explain it better DirtFlier. Yes the air box should be spotless, any residuals in it means there is a leak somewhere.
I have to check mine now. It’s been a couple hundred miles since I put the tape.

Back
Top Bottom