Alternate seats

Bluerider3

If you are not happy with the stock seat, what seat makers are you using that make seats for the NT?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
About 60,000 miles into my history with my first '99 Concours, I'd tried a sheepskin pad over the stock Kawasaki saddle. It helped, but it wore out. Then I tried a Rick Meyer saddle and it was wasted money -- it never fit me right even after being rebuilt plus he gave the worst customer service I've found from anyone in the motorcycle accessory business. I finally broke down and spent the big bucks to get a Russell DayLong saddle. I rode it for over 100,000 miles with no complaints at all.

When I bought my NT, I rode the stock saddle for about the first 15,000 miles and it was better than the stock Kawasaki saddle had been but on a really long day, I'd have a spell or two, usually no longer than 20-30 minutes when my butt would ache. So, once more I bought a Russell DayLong. I have ridden it for nearly 100,000 miles and on my longest days (1529 in 24 hours and 1850 in 35 hours, I've had absolutely no buttockal discomfort. Both my saddles have been Russell's heavyweight option (a stronger transverse spring than stock) and both have been covered with leather. Neither had the pillion area modified except to be covered in leather. Seems like I spent about $630-$650 bucks for both saddles, but they are my single best purchase for my bikes.

I have never owned but did borrow a Corbin saddle and rode about 250 miles on it with my Concours. It was awful on several counts: 1) it probably added 10-15 pounds to the weight of the bike. Corbin makes their own seat pan and they weigh a bunch; 2) it didn't fit the bike very well; 3) it transmitted vibration from the bike to me. The Concours had a reputation for being a "buzzy" bike, but it never bothered me except for that one ride with the Corbin. It transmitted vibration to my nether region and after 60-70 miles my penis would go to sleep. I've never had that happen before for any reason! And I hope to never have it happen again -- it wasn't particularly painful, but it was definitely strange.

Russell can be found at www.day-long.com

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Take a look at Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA. Great seats and service. Be prepared to have a seat custom fit to your height, riding position, rear end size, other desires. And you're within a days rides. My Rich's seat is all-day comfortable.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I bought a slightly used Corbin from an NT Forum member from Ohio. I just came back from a Stayin Safe training course held in SW Pa. and SE Ohio, 938 miles in four days. I love it! I had Corbins on my Concours C14 and my Kawasaki Z750S...to each his/her own. BB

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Russell for mine.

But, almost any reputable seat maker can get it right if you are very clear what you want. Heck, you can do it yourself if you are brave enough :)

Some people love different brands/models. Others hate the same seat.

Bottom line is, if you can ride through a full tank of gas without moving in the seat and without feeling ANY discomfort, and do that through 3 or 4 tanks of gas every day over multiple days, then you got it right.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Take a look at Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA. Great seats and service. Be prepared to have a seat custom fit to your height, riding position, rear end size, other desires. And you're within a days rides. My Rich's seat is all-day comfortable.
I couldn't agree more. Rich spends how ever long it takes to build you a saddle that is perfect for you. Very professional and friendly, with a well-appointed shop. If you are not close to his shop,( I had an 8 am appointment) he has a very nice room on site that rents for a very fair rate. He has a large selection of vinyl and leathers, and each saddle has a special, surgical-quality gel insert. I can't imagine any other saddle is substantially better, and he provides free modifications once you've ridden several thousand miles. I recommend visiting his shop and discussing his products with him before you make a final decision.

www.richscustomseats.com

Ken

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I have my OEM seat, and if someone wants to send their seat into a upscale maker, and wants to keep riding while his seat is being made: I'll send my OEM seat (of course you pay for shipping), and you send me your OEM when you get your custom seat (again at your expense). I know sometimes builders get backed up and you could be out of riding without your seat. I'm never sure why I keep may OEM seat, in fact I have 2 seats for my 84 BMW, both after market. I guess I am a pack rat at heart, but really a procrastinator. I think all but Corbin requires a seat pan, (yes I have a Corbin as then
84 came with one so I just got same/and after more then 20000 miles I still like the heated seat).
Ride what you like-try not to make too many mistakes.

Last edited:

bicyclist

Russell for me, but if I lived in WA, I'd go to Rich's. Ya can't beat a seat made for your butt. Having owned a couple of Corbin seats, I would not buy another; not for reasons of comfort, but poor quality.

I've got the Rich's custom seat also--a true craftsmanship seat He has a place you can stay over night at his shop and it is a lovely unit for cheap. If I was living in Prosser, I'd make the trip over, stay overnight at his place and ride home the next day. Google his site and learn more.

Terry

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Too many bikes to be able to have a Rich's seat on each one..... I do have one on my Honda Rebel. Love it. Made it go from a 'I've ridden 30 miles and my backside is killing me" to a "600 miles today and I could go further but I'm not thrilled about hitting a deer in the middle of the night".

I think the one on my NT is a Corbin. I like it, but its pretty slippery. I have a sheepskin strapped onto it, makes it a bit better.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I had a Russell on my NT and it was great. I tried Sargent, good but I messed it up with a bad adjustment. Tried a Rick Meyers, did not like it.

If you are on a budget, check Great Day to Ride. The mod is inexpensive and works. I had one on my first bike, a Suzuki GS500F. Turned that bike from a 50 mile bike to a 500 mile bike.

Bothell, WA in the wet part of the state.
Bike
Red 2014 FJR
Thought I would toss a comment in here about Rich's seats too. I had one fitted for me last February and absolutely love it. Think I was there for about 4 hours.

I wanted to pass along the fact that he does mail-order too. While I was there he was putting the finishing touches on a couple of seats that were sent to him. While they weren't "custom fitted" Rich spends a lot of time listening to what your needs and concerns are. And his prices are reasonable too!

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
The AirHawk cushion works for me too. I only use it for long rides, the factory seat is fine otherwise. Plus, if I end up buying the beamer I'm looking at I can use the airhawk on it as well.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
+1 for Rich's seats. Can't beat a custom fitted seat by people that know what they are doing.
Only suggestion is have the seat fitted AFTER ergo adjustments to bars, footrests, etc.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V,
Russell Day Long with the back rest for me. Did a 650 mile day over the 4th weekend and had it not been for the heat, would have been good for another 650. I am attempting a Butt Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24hrs) in October. That should be a pretty good test.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Russell or riches are equLLY GOOD, JUST mTTER OG WHETHER YOU LIKE sEttle RE or not

Elson

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had two Russells. One I had built for my 1st '99 Concours after wasting $400+ on a Rich Mayer saddle that never fit me even after shipping it back to him twice. The Russell fit from day one and I was never uncomfortable on it. After I totaled that bike, I moved the saddle to my 2nd '99 Connie and ended up putting over 100K on it.

When I bought my NT, I was reasonably comfortable on the stock seat, but after my first long trip -- a little over 4K to Wisconsin and Michigan (where we managed to get 5 NTs together at the same time) and on around Lake Superior, I was ready for a Russell. I bought Elzilla's stock saddle after she had gotten a Russell built. I've got over 100,000 on this Russell now and did have to have it recovered once after I wore out the seam near the front of the saddle on the right side. That failure was a result of the way I have to hop and slide to get onto a bike due to my knee replacements. I've still never been uncomfortable on the Russell.

On my way to Spearfish in '12, I rode 1430 miles in 25 hours. I was shot, but my butt never bothered me at all. Then last May, I finally managed to complete a Bun Burner Gold, riding 1526 miles in 23 hours, 48 minutes. Like the Team Lyle people said about the Rachel Insanity Days Rally, it's "All the Nevada You Can Ride in 24 Hours." No buttockle discomfort whatsoever.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Russell, but I've never had a Rich's saddle. People who have them also speak highly of Sargeant's and Jim Moore has the Top Sellerie Deauville Saddle and likes it a lot.

The one saddle other than a Rick Mayer that I would absolutely not buy is a Corbin (but some people like them, too). The only Corbin I've ever tried was one I borrowed for a 200 mile day ride on my Connie. It weighed probably 25 pounds due to the heavy fiberglass seat pan that Corbin makes for all their saddles, it didn't fit the bike well, and it transmitted a huge amount of vibration into my "manly" region. I've never had that part of my anatomy go to sleep before or since!

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Sargent on my bike, trying the Airhawk as a bit more cushion. The Airhawk makes the bike feels like a low tire when riding with it. Thought the tire was deflating until I stopped and put the tire gage on it. Attempting different pressures to make this comfortable.

Top Bottom