Another Speculative Honda Motorcycle...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I read the article too. They also mentioned the patent filing for the NT designation. They keep talking mid-size though. Mid-size to me would be 800-900cc, not 1100! 'Course I remember back in the day when a 750 was a big bike! Phil remembers that too..... when he transitioned from Conestoga's to motorcycles.

😈

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
What ever it is going to be there are three things it will surly be. 1. Too late, 2. Too heavy, 3. Too expensive. I m a Honda guy from way back but have found the other three Japanese manufactures are just as good if not a better bang for your buck.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
What ever it is going to be there are three things it will surly be. 1. Too late, 2. Too heavy, 3. Too expensive. I m a Honda guy from way back but have found the other three Japanese manufactures are just as good if not a better bang for your buck.
My thoughts exactly.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
While I was out running around yesterday, I went to the BMW/Triumph/Ducati dealership in Ft. Collins to get a set of '12 Bonneville fork gaiters. I enjoyed looking at their bikes although none of them offered anything I wanted. Then I went by the Honda shop and was surprised at how many smaller bikes they had. They're pushing the CB500 pretty hard. The had two of the new Cubs and two of the 150cc scooters that both looked good.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I rode a CB500F at a demo ride several years ago. I purposely lugged it down in a high gear then gave it throttle and the engine pulled through cleanly. A carbureted 70s CB500 with points ignition could have never done that! The bike felt light and nimble but had nil wind protection and a smallish fuel tank. It would make a great in-town bike.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The CB500X seems attractive to me as does the new NC750. If something would happen to Traveller I don't know what I would get to replace him.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
The CB500X seems attractive to me as does the new NC750. If something would happen to Traveller I don't know what I would get to replace him.
I had a 2015 CBR500R...same engine as the 500X. As Dirtflier said, the low rpm torque is quite amazing. You can come into a 30 mph town on the highway, and leave it in 6th gear. Then accelerate back up to highway speed while still in 6th,, and it won't shudder or shake. An NC will not do that. The 500 starts getting a bit buzzy after 70mph, and quite tingly at 80 mph. The NC is totally smooth at 80mph. Fuel consumption on both bikes is similar.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
The Honda Transalp is/was pretty common over here (the reliable V-2 plant is known from the Hawk, VTR, NT, etc...)

What I understood will they now use the NC750 platform, but to cope with EURO-5 emission regs they'll have to increase displacement to 790cc to (still) provide torque*... 🤔
(* same BS is happening in the car industry since decades... they all need to have like 200HP now, fuel consumption, taxes and insurance rates increased proportionally... :rolleyes:)

What beats me is how gadgets like touchscreen, DCT, ABS and CBS are supposed to work on an offroad motorcycle... a no-go IMHO...

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I rode a CB500F at a demo ride several years ago. I purposely lugged it down in a high gear then gave it throttle and the engine pulled through cleanly. A carbureted 70s CB500 with points ignition could have never done that! The bike felt light and nimble but had nil wind protection and a smallish fuel tank. It would make a great in-town bike.
I took Yoda's old bike for a test ride. I could have easily ridden that bike from coast to coast.
a 500.jpg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The ADV bike rider wants all those electronic doo-dads and sales numbers seem to support that reality. And let's face it, most ADV bikes are only rarely ridden in the dirt and usually it's a dirt road and not a segment of the Dakar Rally! If you wanted a plain Jane ADV bike, you can always buy a Royal Enfield Himalyan. :)

Someone commented earlier about the NC not pulling away smoothly from low revs when compared to the CB500 but the engines are two different beasts. The NC has a 270 crank to provide a feeling of more grunt at low RPM but it does shake a lot and it took me a while to get accustomed to it but now it's normal...oh well. :(

Bike
2010 NT700V
I hear many Africa Twin owners apply decorative mud with a squirt bottle before Bikes and Coffee meets.

In all seriousness, I've done enough forest service roads on normal street bikes with sport touring radials. Not ideal, but I've never had a problem. Certainly never had a reason to buy a heavy ADV with faux knobbies. If I wanted to ride trails I'd get a dual sport or just a dirt bike.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I had a VStrom 1000 and never rode it in the dirt. It was a great handling bike with cartridge forks and a good rear shock, that really soaked up the sharp edged bumps. I would gladly pay the extra money for an NC750 with good suspension and a better headlight.
The ST1100 has an interesting front suspension....a cartridge on left leg and damping tube on the right leg. Not sure of the idea behind that. But it worked well.

All this talk about Africa Twins is getting me excited! I can't wait to see if they really do put out a mini AT. This 2018 ATAS makes the NT feel tiny. IMG_1142.jpeg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
All this talk about Africa Twins is getting me excited! I can't wait to see if they really do put out a mini AT. This 2018 ATAS makes the NT feel tiny. IMG_1142.jpeg
I think I am too old......these bikes look aweful...like toys....transformer toys.....

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I took Yoda's old bike for a test ride. I could have easily ridden that bike from coast to coast.
I rode my 2016 CB500X from Santa Rosa, CA to Charlottesville, VA in July of 2019. It was a really enjoyable ride along backroads the whole way. It is not an interstate bike, and the saddle does get a bit uncomfortable after 300 miles or so, but the ride quality is excellent, the engine just sings along, it handles beautifully, and the mpg was 64. The NT700V is a much more comfortable bike though, and I wouldn't have needed rags and lube to service the chain every 1000 miles, which on a long ride is not much fun at all (especially when camping and without hot water for wash up). And the panniers on the NT are far superior to the set of Shad cases hanging on the side of the CB. But all in all, its a great bike and I've enjoyed every mile on it.

Top Bottom