[Review] Arai Signet Q

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I tried on all the helmets I could at the Minneapolis Bike Show and found the Arai Signet Q the most comfortable. Now I have one of my own and am getting used to it.

The one I got yesterday isn't as comfortable as the one I tried on at the bike show. It is fairly snug even after remeoving the optional foam sizing padding. I realize helmets are supposed to be snug, but there is a line somewhere between snug and uncomfortable. I'm guessing the padding will take a bit of a "set" with some use and sweat and it will become more comfortable. But right now it isn't as comfortable as my Shoei RF 1000.

The venting is pretty good on the Arai, actually the best I've had. I'm still working on the perfect combination of windshield height and which vents to open/close to get best venting and least noise. In some configurations it is noisier than the Shoei, but it is moving more air too. Field of view is a little less than the Shoei, but good. I've always been impressed with the shield clarity of the Shoei, and the Arai seems to be as good so far.

It has more vents than any helmet I've had (or seen). It takes some time to know which way to push which vent control to make it work. The controls are a little hard to feel with gloves, but after I learn the gadgets it will probably get better. By the time I get to Spearfish I hope to know how to operate it.

I don't intend to test the crash protection features.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Update

After another 150 miles today I'm setteling in on the new helmet. I only had to stop once to take it off to see how to open/close the back vent. I might remember till next week now.

I had to raise the windshield height one notch to get quiet. But that is probably due to the fact that I added a Russell Day Long saddle which sits a bit higher than the stock one. It was very comfortable today. I went from 70 degree weather to something in the 40s near Lake Superior and the vents worked well for adjusting air flow.

This helmet does not have a drop down visor, but I just use one of those green stick-on strips on the top portion of the visor. It is much easier to clean that way. I'm going to like this one.

Snow is finally melting, but there is plenty left.
Guys are still ice fishing.

Attachments

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
After about 4K I can call the Arai Signet Q broken in now.

I finally learned how to operate all the vents and it has become second nature now. The vents are very effective and give lots of combinations when used together in various ways in different wind conditions and speeds. Best venting I've ever had. I rode in lots of rain and the top vent(s) leak a drip evey once in a while, but I did not get enough to get wet.

The shield clarity is very good and cleans up easily. Some shields are easier to remove, but I've finally learned how to operate this one so any cave man could do it.

I don't know if it is worth the premiun price I paid for it, but it was the only one that I could find that fit well. So comfort alone is worth the price to me. And I know I'll appreciate the great venting as the summer warms up.

Top Bottom