[How To] Corbin Seat Fix for Fuzeblock

tawilke46

Finally got around to taking a Dremel and a file to the seat pan on the Corbin.:smile:
Used Katherine's suggestion of using putty to locate where I needed to take out seat pan material.
Scribed marks (slightly larger than Fuzeblock outside dimensions) where I needed to cut and went to using the Dremel.
Seat now fits nicely over the Fuzeblock with no interference. The cutout was not as big as I had originally envisioned and was fairly easy with the Dremel. However, even with the guide on the Dremel it was difficult to get a straight cut.
The most interference with the seat pan was on the front of the Fuzeblock. So the actual cutout is shorter front to back, than the outside dimensions of the Fuzeblock.
Now back to riding.
Pics below:
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/tawilke46/NT700V Seat Fix/IMG_0388.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/tawilke46/NT700V Seat Fix/IMG_0386.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/tawilke46/NT700V Seat Fix/IMG_0384.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/tawilke46/NT700V Seat Fix/IMG_0380.jpg
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/tawilke46/NT700V Seat Fix/IMG_0379.jpg

Not as professional a job as I would have liked, but it works just fine. Will have to see if it affects the performance/comfort on the rear of the seat. I'm betting it won't make any difference.
Don't usually ride anyone back there anyway.

Edit: If you use a high speed tool such as a Dremel, be sure to wear breathing protection. The black seat pan material comes off as a fine powder and smells like airplane glue. So protect yourself.

Last edited:

elizilla

Glad you were able to work it out. Looks like you had to remove a huge amount of seat pan material!

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Nice. I notice the front corners of the Corbin overlap the gas tank, instead of following the tank's lines. The left side of my Corbin does the same...wonder if the pads on the seatpan can be modified? JAT.
Someone else on this forum had the same problem with their Corbin. I believe it was sent back to Corbin at least once, maybe twice to get the fit corrected around the tank. Cause the fit is pretty poor, especially on a seat as expensive as the Corbin. This person had no luck getting Corbin to give it a better fit to the NT. Sooooooooo
I have been doing my best ignoring the fit fopah. As long as I can get it on the bike and the rest of the seat fits, I can live with it. Not happy but can live with it, ya know?
Not sure if modifying the pads would work, might be worth looking at.

Would not recommend buying a Corbin seat for the NT.

Last edited:

Neil-OKC

Yeah that was me who had the problems with the seat. Mine fit just like the pictures of your's shows in pic #0384.

I finally gave up asking those crooks for anymore help and since I am mechanically inclined I decided to see what I could do myself. I ended up bending the tongue to about a 5 degree angle and it now fits much better. but damit for 500 bucks they should of been able to make it fit better. Least I know it wasn't me who couldn't install it correctly.

If anyone were to ask me, and well I'll say it even if no one asks, NEVER EVER buy a corbin seat for the NT or for that matter any other bike. Their customer service has one job and one job only, to keep stringing you along until you finally either give up and stop calling or demand a refund. I hate that company and if they are the last custom seat company on the planet I'd demand a recount.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
OK, Neil, why don't you take a deep breath and tell us how you really feel about Corbin.

I've never bought one of the saddles, but did ride one once. A friend had one for his Concours and was at the start of a group ride he couldn't join and asked if I wanted to try the Corbin before I replaced the OEM saddle on the Connie. It was about a 250 mile ride and by the time I'd done 50 of it, I was wishing I had the OEM saddle on the bike.

The first thing I'd noticed was the weight. The Corbin had to weigh more than twice what the OEM saddle weighed. Even though I outweigh any saddle I've ever seen, I know that adding excess weight is generally viewed as something other than "a good thing."

The second think I noticed was how hard the saddle was. I've ridden and loved Brooks bicycle saddles for years. Hard isn't bad, but Brooks saddles work. For me, at least, the Corbin didn't. Connies are sorta' famous as "buzzy" bikes, and the Corbin transmitted every bit of buzz to my "delicate" parts. By the time that 50 miles was behind us, I had a certain part of my anatomy tingling with the same feeling you get when your arm goes to sleep. It didn't ever feel "right."

Oddly enough (at least to me, it seemed odd), my friend really liked the Corbin. If it had been mine, I probably would have paid someone to take it off my hands.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

The first thing I'd noticed was the weight. The Corbin had to weigh more than twice what the OEM saddle weighed. Even though I outweigh any saddle I've ever seen, I know that adding excess weight is generally viewed as something other than "a good thing."
The second think I noticed was how hard the saddle was.
I noticed the same with my Corbin. I think the OEM fits much nicer, and may end up going back to the OEM. Hate the idea of being hung with a $450 seat I don't particularly like.
I bought the Corbin BEFORE I joined the NT Forum. If I had joined the forum earlier, I may not have bought the Corbin to start with!
But I have modified it so no choice there. It may end up in the box up in my attic! Oh, well. Live and learn (the hard way).
The OEM seat with a Aerostich lambskin seat pad is not too bad a ride. OEM is much lighter.

Last edited:

Neil-OKC

See that's the problem, the seat for me is very comfortable and fits my butt just right. I've no problem with the seat itself, it is the crappy customer service they provide. I tend to judge a product not just from the item itself but the people behind it and well their people need to learn better customer service, if nothing else they need to get new R&D people, ones who know what they are doing. Because obviously at this point they have amatures that don't know a thing about research first, design second.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

See that's the problem, the seat for me is very comfortable and fits my butt just right. I've no problem with the seat itself, it is the crappy customer service they provide. I tend to judge a product not just from the item itself but the people behind it and well their people need to learn better customer service, if nothing else they need to get new R&D people, ones who know what they are doing. Because obviously at this point they have amatures that don't know a thing about research first, design second.
Totally agree. Design accuracy (Corbin seat fit around tank very poor) and customer service sorely lacking!
Cannot recommend Corbin seats to anyone because of your and my experiences.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Back in the day (shows how old I'm getting), when Corbins were selling to people who had new C-10 Concours, their were constant complaints about customer service. It amazes me that they're still in business.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
It amazes me that they're still in business.
Go to their store near Daytona Florida and you will see why... Go to "Destination Daytona" during Bike Week, buy your H-D at the big dealership, hit J&P Cycles, then go down the street to Corbin and you're all customized... The rest of the year the Corbin store is nearly vacant most of the time, when I went in there was one clerk working in that huge showroom...

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Back in the day (shows old I'm getting), when Corbins were selling to people who had new C-10 Concours, their were constant complaints about customer service. It amazes me that they're still in business.
That same comment applies to a lot of companies now a days. Amazed they are still in business.

elizilla

I bought a used VFR that came with a Corbin. The seat was comfortable, but it didn't attach properly to the bike. It just sat in place, and if you braked hard you could feel it shifting under you. The reason it didn't attach, was because it didn't have the hardware to attach to the bike, or a place that the hardware COULD attach! The guy I bought it from liked the seat, and so does the guy I sold it to. (Both are friends of mine) I rode the bike with the stock seat, for the years I had it, and had no complaints.

My sweetie has a Corbin on his TDM. He bought the bike used and it came with the Corbin. He likes it. It fits OK, but it's super difficult for him to get it latched back on, every time he takes it off.

I wouldn't buy a Corbin.

Top Bottom