Habor Freight High Position Motorcycle Lift

Herb

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I'm thinking of getting a lift for maintanence work. The Harbor Freight Platform lift is just too big for my shed. I saw a picture of the Easy Rizer Red lift. Can't remember who in the group has it. It looked perfect but at $600 is more than I'd like to pay.

Harbor Freight has this High Position Lift. Is it possible to adapt this to lift the NT?

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887.html

It could probably be done if one were to fabricate a platform that would attach to the two arms. I think that I would use a 3/4" piece of plywood with steel rails that would slide onto the two horizontals with a locking pin installed. The plywood could be reinforced to be very rigid using an Engineer Stake (One of those green posts used for signs) on both long edges.) The platform would slide off when not in use. In the simplest form, two "U" beams could be fastened to the plywood and be set on the two horizontal arms. They could be secured with 3/8" Bolts. I would make sure that the plywood is sufficiently supported when the lift is down so that the bike can be rolled on. Tie down eyes would be attatched where securing straps are attatched securing the bike. The finished platform should then be painted with a porch and deck enamel sprinkled with sand for non-skid. Herb, I think that it is very doable. I would definitely secure a "Wheel Stop" at the end of the platform. An MC Wheel Chock abailable at Harbor Freight would do nicely. I have their regular lift and love it.

You can make anything work with enough time and money. This lift works best for bikes with an exposed lower frame. A single piece of channel iron will now pick it up by the wheels add some bits for tie down...a tray for the center stand... something to grasp the center of the bike and let the wheels hang free. Humm.

I'd be concerned about the small footprint. Looks to me like it would be easy to knock it over.

Think about cutting a hole in the floor of the shed and dropping in the platform lift. You could park the bike on it.

I'd be concerned about the small footprint. Looks to me like it would be easy to knock it over.

Think about cutting a hole in the floor of the shed and dropping in the platform lift. You could park the bike on it.

Wow, that's an intriguing and original thought, but you'd have to cut into the joists as well to make it level with the floor, right. Might be tricky. Another thought that just occurred is raising the entire floor(shed's 12x12) similar to what Chucklist did with his wooden side panels for his platofrm lift. This would save the hassle of engineering adaption to the Harbor Freight High Lift and still save money over the Easy Rizer Red lift. I regularly get coupon discount for the platform lift at $250 or so.

I have the conventional HF Lift and love it. It is in the centre of the floor in the second bay in the garage. In the down position, my Chev. Suburban clears it fine. The Suburban comes in during the winter. I will relocate the lift inbetween the two bays so that I can work on the CB550K during the winter months. The ST-700 will occupy a space in my already cramped bicycle shop. Since I ride during the winter, I have to locate the bike so that I can get it out of the garage easily.

Wow, that's an intriguing and original thought, but you'd have to cut into the joists as well to make it level with the floor, right. Might be tricky. Another thought that just occurred is raising the entire floor(shed's 12x12) similar to what Chucklist did with his wooden side panels for his platofrm lift. This would save the hassle of engineering adaption to the Harbor Freight High Lift and still save money over the Easy Rizer Red lift. I regularly get coupon discount for the platform lift at $250 or so.

That sounds easier than the other project if the overhead is tall enough and you could add some in floor storage. How cool is that.

Back
Top Bottom