Hello from London Great Britain

that's insane !

I couldn't agree more. I learned to ride in California in 1966, and even at that time lane-sharing was legal. I'd rather commute on LA area freeways, which are among the most crowded in America, than ride near any other urban area in any other state. I know many riders are strongly against "filtering" but California surveys show it to be --at worst-- no more dangerous, more environmentally sensitive, more productive, and less stressful. I can't imagine standing in line, stopped among stationary cars and breathing the exhausts of 12 lanes of idling cars, if I had the option to avoid it.

Is there a country within the EU that prohibits lane splitting?

Ken

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more. I learned to ride in California in 1966, and even at that time lane-sharing was legal. I'd rather commute on LA area freeways, which are among the most crowded in America, than ride near any other urban area in any other state. I know many riders are strongly against "filtering" but California surveys show it to be --at worst-- no more dangerous, more environmentally sensitive, more productive, and less stressful. I can't imagine standing in line, stopped among stationary cars and breathing the exhausts of 12 lanes of idling cars, if I had the option to avoid it.

Is there a country within the EU that prohibits lane splitting?

Ken

Hi Ken, can't tell u about all Eu, can tell you what I know, if motorcycle is filtering in France, he must turn on hazard lights, In Latvia motorcycle cant overtake on up coming line more then 3 cars at the same time without getting back in the line where he was. Lithuania - the same, but you cans plit the line, coz in law it sez that line is for so many viacles as many there will fit. Spain, motorcycle can filter, Italy - you just cant not to, coz 80% of all ppl is on scooters, bikes etc, Estonia, ok as long motorcycle dont cross 2singlle line marks on road.
Poland, po problems with anything, Germany - not shore, coz there is a places where you can drive even on a side of the road and there is a place where motorcycle must be in traffic, but usually that is where all traffic is in movement anyway. so yea, its not that bad here ..! :) there is only 2 bad thing, 1st - fuel prices and second insurance prices !

In 2000 or 2001 I did trips through CA and I had occasion to do some very tentative filtering in traffic jams. Can't say I got comfortable with it, but I did it OK. Haven't been in a traffic jam in CA since then.

In 2006 I rode 5000 miles through Europe with two guys from the UK. I just played follow the leader and we filtered everywhere. I got pretty comfortable with it. It helps to have local guides who know what to do. No one got mad at us. In some countries, the drivers were so determined to have the bikes filter past them at lights, they would almost make themselves a nuisance.

I filtered illegally in heavy traffic on Labor Day on I-95 in NH, a couple years back, because it was about 100 degrees, my clutch hand was giving out, and if I hadn't filtered I'd probably still be there. The drivers were SUPER hostile and tried to block me, honked their horns, flipped the bird, yelled threats, etc. I bet plenty were on their phones calling the cops to complain, but the cops were just too busy to get involved. I was afraid some driver would pull out a gun and shoot me - the USA is known for road raging gun nuts with short fuses. That was a terrible day, and I have planned my subsequent trips to avoid that kind of scene.

Oh, and as for turning on your hazard lights? The US-spec bikes mostly don't have hazard lights. To get them you have to install an aftermarket kit, or source some EU switch gear.

In 2000 or 2001 I did trips through CA and I had occasion to do some very tentative filtering in traffic jams. Can't say I got comfortable with it, but I did it OK. Haven't been in a traffic jam in CA since then.

In 2006 I rode 5000 miles through Europe with two guys from the UK. I just played follow the leader and we filtered everywhere. I got pretty comfortable with it. It helps to have local guides who know what to do. No one got mad at us. In some countries, the drivers were so determined to have the bikes filter past them at lights, they would almost make themselves a nuisance.

I filtered illegally in heavy traffic on Labor Day on I-95 in NH, a couple years back, because it was about 100 degrees, my clutch hand was giving out, and if I hadn't filtered I'd probably still be there. The drivers were SUPER hostile and tried to block me, honked their horns, flipped the bird, yelled threats, etc. I bet plenty were on their phones calling the cops to complain, but the cops were just too busy to get involved. I was afraid some driver would pull out a gun and shoot me - the USA is known for road raging gun nuts with short fuses. That was a terrible day, and I have planned my subsequent trips to avoid that kind of scene.

Oh, and as for turning on your hazard lights? The US-spec bikes mostly don't have hazard lights. To get them you have to install an aftermarket kit, or source some EU switch gear.

dear God, why ppl have to be like that, like if Im standing and sweating my arse out in traffic jam then everyone should be .... cant stand that way of thinking... When I was in Florida and was driving around I was so happy that U have so wide roads and that go between the cars is so easy even on the big bobbers... yea.. on thet time I didn know that its not legal, about hazard lights, yes, on many scooters or bikes they dont have from factory, but if you want to filter, u must have them fitted on.

After 5000 miles riding through Europe, on the way back to the UK we were met in France by a couple other guys from the UK and we all took the Channel ferry together. I was their visitor from the USA and they all wanted to show me a good time, so the guy who was leading took us off the motorway and led us all over London, just so I could see it. I wished I had a communicator radio so I could just say "Stop! Please!" The congestion was awful and the road markings were unfamiliar, and in a city built before the automobile and riding motorcycles that could filter and squeeze through streets that might just have been pavements, I had my hands full just to follow and not get lost as we traveled in circles in a maze. I wasn't looking at Big Ben or whatever. And it was hot that day. We lost one of the English guys and I never saw him again - I talked to him later in email and he said he just got fed up and went home. By the time we got to Ace Cafe I was exhausted and we still had to ride to Manchester that afternoon. If I ever tour London by road again, I want to sit on top of a double decker bus and just let someone else drive while I look around. Riding there regularly, you must be tough!

After 5000 miles riding through Europe, on the way back to the UK we were met in France by a couple other guys from the UK and we all took the Channel ferry together. I was their visitor from the USA and they all wanted to show me a good time, so the guy who was leading took us off the motorway and led us all over London, just so I could see it. I wished I had a communicator radio so I could just say "Stop! Please!" The congestion was awful and the road markings were unfamiliar, and in a city built before the automobile and riding motorcycles that could filter and squeeze through streets that might just have been pavements, I had my hands full just to follow and not get lost as we traveled in circles in a maze. I wasn't looking at Big Ben or whatever. And it was hot that day. We lost one of the English guys and I never saw him again - I talked to him later in email and he said he just got fed up and went home. By the time we got to Ace Cafe I was exhausted and we still had to ride to Manchester that afternoon. If I ever tour London by road again, I want to sit on top of a double decker bus and just let someone else drive while I look around. Riding there regularly, you must be tough!

yea, I just just to it. When I came down here from Dorset it was strange but now... its just how it is... bad thing is that all over the place 20mph signs are growing... and the cctv cars with photoradars ar all over the place... so... need to watch on speed all the time ....

My one experience with this was years ago when i saw a lane splitter get surprised, in a very bad way, when someone stopped in a traffic jam opened a door to get out of the car and look ahead at what was happening. This is the same sort of thing bicyclers face with parked cars, of course, but impact not as damaging to the car door. The thought of this will make me very wary of trying it when i go touring south to CA. I only ride in city when necessary to get back out into the countryside where i can enjoy the ride again.

Back
Top Bottom