There are many bikes....but few classics.....
I will! Can you see below?I haven't been on the Deauville website in ages. What's the link to it?
Yea old Coyote cast his fly upon the pond water, still as death...waiting...the trout comes to the surface! Fish on! :ROFLMAO:I can understand that statement. The F800ST was a little lacking in some ways. BMW listened and made changes which resulted in the F800GT.
Ride magazine has an article this month touting the NC750X as being the ultimate commuter bike. This is a bike built on the cheep to get the price point down on the bare bones model...Single front disc, unenclosed chain drive, no ABS, Filler cap under the frigging seat, for goodness sake....I cant even see a center stand....remember that the NT was billed as a commuter....The more I see other bikes, the more I appreciate my NT....thats the bike with the center stand, shaft drive, real brakes, movable windscreen and, oh, I forgot...panniers that SHOULD had all been shipped with big lids and make the small lids a $500 option...snort....It's all water-under-the-bridge but I have to think that if American Honda had brought the NT700V to the states a few years earlier and with a lower MSRP, it could have made a significant difference in sales numbers. The other negative obstacle was that our cycle rags didn't understand why anyone would buy a bike that didn't have 120 HP or appeared showroom ready for the Dakar Rally. :-(
I am sorry you took it as negative bullying...it was mearly a reference to our ongoing debate as the the suitablility of the different generations of BMW 800s....although I havent heard much about the lastest 750/850 series. I am glad you are happy with your bike.After looking at the articles you pasted in that aren't readable, and the response above, I can't help but think your reason for making this thread was as you put it above, Waiting to bait me and put me down.
This fish spit the hook out and is gone.
I bought my NT in December 2009 so have owned it a long time.
In 2014-15, I bought a used NC700X/DCT from a friend and it had only 750 miles on the odometer so was essentially brand-new. It is quite a different bike and the DCT makes it a great in-town bike although I've taken a few long trips on it. One of the things I like best about it is the much lighter weight - around 70 pounds less than an NT - plus the weight is low so it feels more like 100 pounds. The fuel tank is under the seat plus the engine is a parallel twin that is leaned forward quite a bit to get the weight lower. I initially worried about the smallish fuel tank @ 3.9 gal on the NC but it's thrifty on fuel so going more than 200-miles between fill-ups is normal. It has a 6-speed transmission with chain drive so I'm now ready to install a new chain & sprockets at 23k miles. Final drive would have been nice but would have been heavier and more expensive.
I do wish it had an analog fuel gauge because I hate the 5-bar gauge! The chain drive hasn't been as much of a bother as I had originally imagined.
As we get older, something with lighter weight seems a lot more important than having more power.
Coyote Chris - the NC has an optional centerstand and ABS is standard on DCT models. And I will agree it was built to get the cost down low but I applaud Honda for that because you can't get young people interested if the MSRP is $12k!
I think that if one is a person who wants/Needs the DCT, and its 30 pounds of weight?, Plus the weight of the optional center stand, plus the cost of both, and the modern ABS which I consider a huge plus, then it becomes a different bike, but not a cheep bike. My biggest gripe is the single disc front, actually. First time I rode a V-strom I reported it to the service dept as having a defective rear brake….the real issue was I have been riding bikes where the rear brake pedal actuated the rear and one of the front disc brakes…well, thankfully my V-Strom has two front discs but the rear brake is aweful. The reviewer in Rider Mag. Points out very diplomatically that you had better learn to use both brakes on this (the NC) bike at the same time…Just Like I have to with the Vstrom. Sorry to harp but a commuter bike needs real brakes….not cheep brakes….its dangerous out there.I bought my NT in December 2009 so have owned it a long time.
In 2014-15, I bought a used NC700X/DCT from a friend and it had only 750 miles on the odometer so was essentially brand-new. It is quite a different bike and the DCT makes it a great in-town bike although I've taken a few long trips on it. One of the things I like best about it is the much lighter weight - around 70 pounds less than an NT - plus the weight is low so it feels more like 100 pounds. The fuel tank is under the seat plus the engine is a parallel twin that is leaned forward quite a bit to get the weight lower. I initially worried about the smallish fuel tank @ 3.9 gal on the NC but it's thrifty on fuel so going more than 200-miles between fill-ups is normal. It has a 6-speed transmission with chain drive so I'm now ready to install a new chain & sprockets at 23k miles. Final drive would have been nice but would have been heavier and more expensive.
I do wish it had an analog fuel gauge because I hate the 5-bar gauge! The chain drive hasn't been as much of a bother as I had originally imagined.
As we get older, something with lighter weight seems a lot more important than having more power.
Coyote Chris - the NC has an optional centerstand and ABS is standard on DCT models. And I will agree it was built to get the cost down low but I applaud Honda for that because you can't get young people interested if the MSRP is $12k!
Hummmmm....that is interesting...the reviewer on Rider claims an average fuel economy on the 750 of 69 mpg over 1400 miles of non-easy riding. A CAnadian spec full dresser 750 caught my eye when Frosty and I were touring in Canada. It was solid red and looked sharp with the bags......How well does your rear brake work alone?Let me correct you on a few things you mentioned. The fuel capacity on the NC700X is 3.7 gallons. The DCT model weighs about 505 lbs without any accessories installed onto it. The fuel economy I have been getting in the past 5 years of owning it has been 53.8 MPG over 118 tracked fuel-ups.
I am proud to say that I rode mine into work today. NaTalie is my primary commuter.
![]()
I run into the issue about "not wanting to pay for something desired" across many areas in life. Its very real. Many indeed have not learned that it is far more important to have something you really like, over something you have reservations about, even if it costs more. In the end, you remember the happiness and forget about the extra $2,000. Yes, perfection does not exist in any bike, but I would like to see a greater emphasis on safety features over price point. Subaru has made the decision to make its accident avoidance system (Eyesight) standard and it has saved my bacon more than once from a fender bender with an inattentive rude driver/pedestrian to one incident of a major wreck avoided. Subaru now has the destinction of being one of the safest cars in the world. Honda, just put on the second disc, integrate the brake system, and add anti lock brakes.I think I can find something wrong with every motorcycle out there (If I can't I'm sure my wife would help me). Every manufacturer can make a better motorcycle. But they have to sell them for a profit and that is where we consumers ruin the system by not wanting to pay for what we want. It is all about striking that balance and that's different of everyone. I'm just glad we have all the choices we have, even if they aren't perfect.
And "what's perfect" changes on every ride. Sometimes I want more power and sometimes I want less weight. Some days I want more protection and somedays I want more air flow. Some days I ride on interstates and some days I ride on dirt roads. Somedays I prefer agility and somedays I like stability better. Sadly, my wife says I can't have all those bikes. So does my checkbook and insurance company.
I run into the issue about "not wanting to pay for something desired" across many areas in life. Its very real. Many indeed have not learned that it is far more important to have something you really like, over something you have reservations about, even if it costs more. In the end, you remember the happiness and forget about the extra $2,000. Yes, perfection does not exist in any bike, but I would like to see a greater emphasis on safety features over price point. Subaru has made the decision to make its accident avoidance system (Eyesight) standard and it has saved my bacon more than once from a fender bender with an inattentive rude driver/pedestrian to one incident of a major wreck avoided. Subaru now has the destinction of being one of the safest cars in the world. Honda, just put on the second disc, integrate the brake system, and add anti lock brakes.
(Your wife is perfect except that she has terrible taste in men, like mine! :ROFLMAO![]()