[Review] LaZer Monaco Window Hi-Viz Helmet

CommuterNT

Are you sure we aren't related somehow Chris? I two just order the Lazer Monaco in white and have had it for 2 months now. I'm not sure I'm in the same "wow" category as you on this helmet but as always every users helmet experience is unique.

Here's my take. I order the MD as I was on the cusp of a MD or LG and was worried that if I went with the LG that after it broke in it would be too big. I'm still undecided if I made the right decision or not. When I first got the helmet it was very tight to put on and was uncomfortable when the chin guard was down for any length of time. It has definitely eased a bit but it is snug. The rest of the helmet feels great which makes me wonder if the LG would have been too big after it broke in. I've done some research and you can order the next size up cheek pads and that may help but of course Revzilla.com is out of stock and expexting them in the next couple of weeks. I've also taken them out and compressed them under several books and bottles of wine. That helped a bit. The fit issue I have is that it would get very uncomfortable on the top of my head after about 45 min of continuous use. I figured out that it was a pressure point that was making my head go numb there. VERY uncomfortable but only after extended wear. I also discovered that I have kind of a bony ridge across the top of my head which is probably what contributes to the pressure point. The other is that the chin guard sits very close to my chin to the point where it is touching or I just have to move it a little bit and it touches. It has gotten a bit better with break in and adjusting the helmet on my head so the my chin sits in the cut out for the chin guard opening button. I don't think I have an unusually large chin and never seemed to be an issue ever in my life. The jaw part I'm not to surprised about as I have very muscular and defined jaw bone. (must have been all the gum I chewed as a kid).

As far as the noise level goes I find it about average with earplugs. I've noticed since I've been riding with my windscreen all the way up lately it has significantly reduced the noise. For some obvious reasons.

Ok, now that it seems like I think this is the worst helmet, let me tell you it is not. It is a very fine helmet. I like Daboo researched the heck out of my next helmet and found this helmet to be an excellent value on features, design and finish, and price and that is why I chose it. The pinlock is a must if you ride in conditions where you can fog up your screen and this comes with every helmet. The photo chromatic facesheild should be standard on every helmet. You don't even no its working and that's how it should be. The weight is amazing, its lighter then my full face HJC CL16. It looks gorgeous and in the rain I've had no issues. Daboo pretty much explained all the other features very well and would concur.

Bottom line is if you find this helmet fits like it does for Chris, get it! If you find it fits like it does for me then you may want to consider another helmet. I would definitely get this helmet again if it fit me better but again that is all subjective.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Interesting as the carbon fiber version is at the top of my list for my next helmet. Hope it fits :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I think I'll write to Jason and see if he'll sell the "defective" helmet. I scratch mine within weeks of using it so some minor blemish from the factory is not an issue for me.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Every vendor buys their stock for about the same prices.
The only way one can separate himself from his competition is to provide excellent customer service
If Revzilla can earn your trust by excercising some goodwill and good faith, they will make more money in the long run
It looks like maybe they understand what it's all about

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
This is a disappointing story. I was really hoping that the Lazer stuff was good.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
My original interest in the LAzer was the fact that it comes with the photochromatic shield.
I still have my heart set on a Nolan and I am going to try an N104 around Xmas
I wanted the N91 to work for me. I really liked it except it wasn't comfy
BUt after having a Nolan in my hands and on my head, I am a fan of the fit and finish of the overall product
As long as I can't (won't) pay for a Shoei, Nolan is at the top of my list unless HJC or Bell comes up with one I like.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I was hesitant to pay the premium to add a Shoei Neotec to my growing helmet collection but I am glad I did because I am no longer trying to find the perfect helmet. If I had bought one in the beginning I would have saved money by not having bought the other six I have laying around.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Warren said: "I was hesitant to pay the premium to add a Shoei Neotec to my growing helmet collection but I am glad I did because I am no longer trying to find the perfect helmet. If I had bought one in the beginning I would have saved money by not having bought the other six I have laying around."

That's the way I feel about my Schuberth, Warren.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If I had bought one in the beginning I would have saved money by not having bought the other six I have laying around.
Isn't that the truth...:rolleyes1: One way to give a helmet a decent try out is ordering it through Cycle Gear. They still have their "7-Day No Hassle Helmet Exchange" which I used when trying out a NeoTec. The NeoTec didn't fit comfortably so I swapped it for a Qwest... The only issue is my local Cycle Gear now only open stocks their Bilt "stuff". Anything else I have to order pretty much...not a big deal but it adds a few days to the process

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I'm not trying to be argumentative with you guys or defensive, but some folks' budget just won't/can't abide a $600 hit for a helmet. Thats darn near a mortgage payment and I could never justify it, given that I am just as safe in a $300 helmet as i am in a $600 helmet

And having said all that, I would have a Neotech over any pof them if i could/would pay for it...My PERSONAL sensibilities wont abide it.
Just an OPINION

Its kind of like shopping for a refrigerator...

"this one keeps your food cold for $600...this one keeps your food cold for $1000, and THIS one keeps your food cold for $2000"

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
For me it was not that I thought the Neotec was a safer helmet than my N90 but I hated the drop down visor in the N90 to the point I would not use it. It also has very poor ventilation. The Neotec solved both of the problems. Nothing about it annoys me which allows me to enjoy my ride more. Those two benefits made the cost worth it to me but I can understand why it might not to others. Perhaps I get annoyed to easily but nothing takes away from the enjoyment of my ride more than equipment issues.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I tried on a Neotech a while back and wish I hadn't. I fell in love with it instantly and almost bought one, but my conscience would have haunted me for droppping that much coin on it
I;m going to buy something next year around Xmas or New Years. Maybe I will buy something inexpensive while I wait for the next great modular from Shoei. Then I can get a Neotech on closeout

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Chris,

Are you saying you'd rather have the Shoei than the Lazer?

I am still considering the Shuberth too.

My problem is fit. My Shoei RF1000 fits me great but I have had problems with others like the Nolans.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I am about in the same bucket. I don't mind spending money for the Shoei but I want 1) a lighter helmet, 2) quiet, and 3) drop down visor or photochromatic. The Shuberth sets the bar (I wish I could find one to try on somewhere). I am hoping the Lazer Carbon will work for me.

Top Bottom