[How To] NT700V Two Tone Horn installation After Action Report!

Good Day,

I just installed new horns on the NT700V. While commuting on I95 in traffic I decided I needed a louder horn than the stock one which just kind of bleats in aggravation. The horns sound like a pickup truck horn. Not as loud as an air horn, but definitely louder than my cars horn. They honk nicely.

After I ordered these I discovered that they were too big to fit in the original location! Dang internet... This lead to an extensive search for a spot to put them. Hopefully this will help someone else. Not saying this is the best way, however it did work successfully for me.

The horns: FIAMM 74100 El Grande - Twin Horns - Red... (Bigger than anticipated!)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DLBIGG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not that great with electrical systems with more than two wires. So I purchased an electric harness to run the horns. I used Cycle Terminal, and the owner was great to work with. He answered several questions before and after the order. Harnesses are made to order and arrived very quickly. The following is the cryptic specs on length for the harness built for this application:

Dual Horn Relay Kit
Item# HRK2G , Length of Horn Leads: 44 inch's from Relay , Relay Horn Control / Switch lead: 36

http://www.cycleterminal.com/horn-kits.html

Mounting location wound up being in, for lack of a better term, the cheek pouches of the NT. I used aluminum stock sheet to form a bracket. forming was done by hand and with pliers. Bracket was installed over electrical tape to give the aluminum some extra grip on the frame. I used 1/4 inch bolts and lock washers to attach the bracket from the horn kit to each homemade mount.

20150503_115105 (800x600).jpg

To get the horns in a good location in the fairing I drilled a hole in the middle of the stock brackets to get proper length so the horns do not hit the fairing panels. you can see the extra bit from the stock bracket sticking out behind the horn in this picture.

20150503_115112 (800x600).jpg

You can see the positioning of the horns from the front. One horn fit on each side. When I put the fairings back on I was able to make minor adjustments to keep the horns from rubbing the inside of the fairing by bending the horn brackets slightly. This tweaking did not require re-removal of the fairings.

20150503_115118 (800x600).jpg

I am quite pleased with the horns and mounting. Hopefully this saves someone else some aggravation and time if they choose to install this type of horn.

VR

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks! I am considering louder horns, maybe pointed to the sides.....
Good Day,

I just installed new horns on the NT700V. While commuting on I95 in traffic I decided I needed a louder horn than the stock one which just kind of bleats in aggravation. The horns sound like a pickup truck horn. Not as loud as an air horn, but definitely louder than my cars horn. They honk nicely.

After I ordered these I discovered that they were too big to fit in the original location! Dang internet... This lead to an extensive search for a spot to put them. Hopefully this will help someone else. Not saying this is the best way, however it did work successfully for me.

The horns: FIAMM 74100 El Grande - Twin Horns - Red... (Bigger than anticipated!)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DLBIGG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not that great with electrical systems with more than two wires. So I an electric harness to run the horns. I used Cycle Terminal, and the owner was great to work with. He answered several questions before and after the order. Harnesses are made to order and arrived very quickly. The following is the cryptic specs on length for the harness built for this application:

Dual Horn Relay Kit
Item# HRK2G , Length of Horn Leads: 44 inch's from Relay , Relay Horn Control / Switch lead: 36

http://www.cycleterminal.com/horn-kits.html

Mounting location wound up being in, for lack of a better term, the cheek pouches of the NT. I used aluminum stock sheet to form a bracket. forming was done by hand and with pliers. Bracket was installed over electrical tape to give the aluminum some extra grip on the frame. I used 1/4 inch bolts and lock washers to attach the bracket from the horn kit to each homemade mount.

20150503_115105 (800x600).jpg

To get the horns in a good location in the fairing I drilled a hole in the middle of the stock brackets to get proper length so the horns do not hit the fairing panels. you can see the extra bit from the stock bracket sticking out behind the horn in this picture.

20150503_115112 (800x600).jpg

You can see the positioning of the horns from the front. One horn fit on each side. When I put the fairings back on I was able to make minor adjustments to keep the horns from rubbing the inside of the fairing by bending the horn brackets slightly. This tweaking did not require re-removal of the fairings.

20150503_115118 (800x600).jpg

I am quite pleased with the horns and mounting. Hopefully this saves someone else some aggravation and time if they choose to install this type of horn.

VR

Top Bottom