[Review] Olympia Switchback Mesh Jacket

tawilke46

Bought the Olympia Switchback mesh jacket last month. This is my first mesh motorcycle jacket. Wore it for the first time on a motorcycle ride in Florida last week.
Here are my first impressions on this jacket.

1. Air flow through the jacket is very good. Kept me comfortable, even in the Florida heat and humidity. I still sweat some and got hot when stopped, but once I was moving, the air flow cooled things back down.

2. The build quality is also very good. I liked the overall fit and finish of the jacket, made from 500 denier Cordura fabric. The velcro at the cuffs could be a little more substantial, but it is only a minor complaint.

3. The jacket has 2 outer zippered slash pockets. Inside there is one zippered pocket and a velcro pocket for a cell phone.

4. For jacket size adjustment there is a snap strap at the mid waist, a velcro adjustment on the bottom top of the hips, and a velcro tab at the neck. On the sleeves a velcro strap on mid sleeve and a velcro closure at the wrists keeps things from flapping in the breeze.

5. At the neck there is a padded soft liner and soft lining at the wrists. Made wearing the jacket more comfortable in those areas.

6. I would like to see more reflective material on the sleeves and the back of the jacket. It does have reflective piping on the front, sleeves, and back. I just prefer more reflective material on my jackets.

7. The zip out liner is perhaps one of the nicest features on this jacket. The windproof/waterproof liner can also serve as a separate lightweight jacket on it's own. Very nice.

8. Has a full complement of CE approved Motion Flex armor in the elbows, shoulders and back.

On a 5 star rating I would give the Olympia Switchback a 4-1/2 star rating.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I have an older version of this jacket and I use it about half the year. Sometimes with and sometimes without the lining. Mine lacks a couple of the new features, but works fine. I even wore it in 100-degree weather in the Denver area last month.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Nice jacket...

If you want to boost the reflective materiel here is a link to a company that sells 3M Reflexite Sew On SOLAS Coast Guard Approved Marine Tape. When I bought a big roll of it they had the best price per foot that I could find. I have it across the back, down the sleeves seams, around the cuffs, down the zipper on both sides and on the waist adjusters of my mesh Hi Viz Yellow Fieldsheer jacket. I did have to "farm out" the sewing to a professional with a heavy duty sewing machine though, our old "home duty" sewing machine wouldn't sew that many layers very well.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Can't find my receipt right now, but I purchased from Revzilla for $229.99 plus shipping........
Let your fingers do the walking on the web! I believe Motorcycle Superstore also sells this jacket.
I am sure there are other vendors as well.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

They had the hi-viz, but the jacket also had a lot of black, which down here is like wearing a heat magnet.
So I chose the silver/grey to get the lightest color I could. Hopefully makes it a few degrees cooler in the heat.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Did not mean to offend anyone....we are all guilty of sometimes asking "unneccessary" questions. How do you all think I knew about "can I google that for you" trick? Yes, a co-worker sent it to me after I asked him a question I could have easily googled myself.
Dave....please don't take offense. We are not mean spirited, but sometimes it is hard not to poke a bit of fun....

freezingalaskan

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I also have a switchback jacket which I like but don't care for the zip in feature as the sleeves get caught trying to put your arms in. I usually wear the liner as a separate jacket underneath the shell as it is easier to put on and take off this way.

skatefriday

I bought the hi-viz swithback a couple of weeks ago from RevZilla and paid you guessed it, $229.00

I like it a lot. It was used during two 100 degree days in Woodland Hills, CA for the MSF
class. Certainly was hot while sitting still but the minute I started moving, the airflow
through the mesh was sufficient to cool. I wouldn't let heat turn you off from the yellow/black.

Both of the MSF instructors went nuts over the jacket, holding it out as a prime
example of what you should wear while on the street. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Okay, what I want to know now is how to find the example that asks the right question.
How was your summer, Marcus??
Just go to http://lmgtfy.com/ and enter the question, then hit Google Search. Then a link will be built for you which you can copy and then paste in an email, etc. Really easy....see here how to do it ;)
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=let+me+google+that+for+you

Summer was so so this year as far as weather goes. Did take an overnight ride, Anchorage-Denali-Fairbanks-Delta Junction-Glennallen-Anchorage on maybe the two most beautiful days of the summer in early August. 800 miles....absolutely loved that trip.
You should try it sometime.....

freezingalaskan (Marcus)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My wife and I have owned the Airglide jackets and pants for going on 4 years now. I've put close to 100k miles on with the jacket and pants. I'm on my second Hi-vis vest which I wear over the jacket (after 3 years, the sun took it's toll on the brightness). I've had 3-4 of their gloves also. Other than the velcro for the wrist and neck closures getting a bit worn out, the jacket and pants have performed quite well given the extent of their use. Very high quality stuff. :)

Kevin Gunter

The jacket can be purchased without the liner as well. Local BMW dealer had this jacket on sale for 100 dollars so there are deals out there if you're lucky. It is my go to jacket for 3 of the 4 seasons. I also have a one piece high viz suit of the same construction that has armor for the lower legs and hips. Good Stuff.

Top Bottom