Rattle up front when riding on bump of dip

Bike
2011 Pearl Black NT700VAB
Hello! I hear a rattling noise when I ride over a bump or a dip on the road. I suspect it is the center bearing (I don't know what it is called). Has anyone worked on tightening the bearing? Or is it time for a bearing replacement. I don't have steering issue and when turning the handlebar from side to side, with the front wheel off the ground, I don't feel resistance and grinding. So maybe an adjustment is what I just need. This is not covered well in the manual.

What do you call that part of the bike which holds the entire front end suspension?

Thanks in advance.

Put the NT on the center stand. Lift the front wheel off the ground by lifting it with the front forks. One fork in each hand. Try to move the forks front to back. You should be able to tell if you have any play in the steering stem bearings. If so you can try to adjust them.

Last edited:
Put the NT on the center stand. Lift the front wheel off the ground by lifting it with the front forks. One fork in each hand. Try to move the forks front to back. You should be able to tell if you have any play in the steering stem bearings. If so you can try to adjust them.

Warren, thanks. I see that it is called "Steering stem bearings". I tried that but I cannot tell/hear a slack or movement! But riding on a bump/dip, I hear the rattle. I'm pretty sure it comes from the steering stem because in my younger days on a bicycle, that's what I hear when my bicycle steering stem bearing needs adjustment. Anyway, is it a big job to do this adjustment? Do I need to remove that big nut on top of the steering stem? I don't think I have the socket for that size!

Thanks. I will try to look for Youtube video on steering stem bearing adjustment.

how many miles? your bike seems fairly new. I look over many things before delving into steering head bearings. what noise seems to be in front just might be somewhere else. any friends to help with push-pull loose feeling in things? check bolts on axle and fork pinch bolts

Is the noise new? If so it is quite possible your brake pad spring issue is the culprit. Those brake pad springs are anti-rattle springs.

Brad

how many miles? your bike seems fairly new. I look over many things before delving into steering head bearings. what noise seems to be in front just might be somewhere else. any friends to help with push-pull loose feeling in things? check bolts on axle and fork pinch bolts

My bike has 22,450+ miles. It might be something else that is making the rattling noise but I suspect it's the head that needs adjustment. Thanks.

Is the noise new? If so it is quite possible your brake pad spring issue is the culprit. Those brake pad springs are anti-rattle springs.

Brad

No! This rattling noise has been going on before I replaced the front pads (and did not put back the tension spring on the right caliper after it dropped). And now, I want to work on it and figure out where it is coming from. I'll work on it this weekend. Speaking of tension spring, I'll work on it again this weekend. I have to put it back.

If the steering bearings were loose enough to make noise, you'd feel it for sure in the handlebars and the sound could be described as a deep clunk. A "rattle" usually comes from something thin.

At 22k miles, it's highly unlikely that you need new steering bearings and unless someone has messed with it in the past, I'd say they're OK. Woodaddict puts about a bazillion miles on his bikes so if anyone would know, it would be him! :)

Last edited:
The steering head bearings will more than likely be tapered bearings that need to have a "pre-load" set.

It is unlikely that these bearings will be causing your problem and if you do not know the procedure or have the correct tools you should not be trying to adjust these bearings.

Just my thoughts

Seagrass

The steering head bearings will more than likely be tapered bearings that need to have a "pre-load" set.

It is unlikely that these bearings will be causing your problem and if you do not know the procedure or have the correct tools you should not be trying to adjust these bearings.

Just my thoughts

Seagrass

My steering bearings were "notched" at about 50K miles. My mechanic recommended "All Balls" replacement bearings. The stock bearings were ball bearings, but the ones I bought to replace them were tapered roller bearings. They still work great at almost 120K miles.

Last edited:
[...my steering bearings were "notched" at about 50K miles. My mechanic recommended "All Balls" replacement bearings...]

The ball races develop small dents because the steering is in the straight ahead position most of the time. You can feel a definite notch when you turn the bars side-to-side when the front end is lifted. I changed to All-Balls tapering bearings on my previous bike (PC800) mostly because of a shaking in the bars under decel conditions. So far, haven't felt any notchiness or shaking on decel on the NT.

Okay. I looked at the repair manual and it's a big job to adjust or replace stem bearings! I will diagnose more on what is causing the rattle. Thanks.

Could it be something as simple as you having a golf ball stored in one of the fairing pockets? Or could some of the mounting points on the fairing be loose?

I am far from being a qualified mechanic but would check simple things first. At 22K miles it is highly unlikely that your steering head bearing has failed.

The most likely source seems to be slightly loose fairing parts. The tab holding some of it together are notoriously easy to break.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I followed the procedure to test if the the steering head bearings are worn or loose. My steering is smooth and no play. It's perfect. I can't figure out where the rattle is coming from when I ride on a bump or a dip on the road! The pockets are tight, the tupperware up front are tight, the fender is secure. In other words, there is no loose part up front.

I'll just increase the volume of my music on my bluetooth headset on my helmet. I give up.

I think I have had a noise when I hit a bump every science I got my NT. It is nothing I can find and no issue on control, might just be compression of front shock system. My 84 BMW has always had a rattle on bumps, too.
You would be able to find a bad part on front end steering system by your checking, and if nothing is loose: you bearing would give more then a rattle.

In diagnosing the rattle, no one mentioned cables. I had a distinctive "rattle" on my Ultra that was evident on rough roads, and I determined it was a cable slapping the cowling. I applied a small piece of self adhesive foam to restrict the movement some and the rattle quit. Is there a chance a cable (clutch?) has been routed incorrect?

Back
Top Bottom