[How To] RedBirds Handlebar Relocation

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
A while back I decided I really needed to relocate my handlebars so I could sit up straight. I had heard of Helibars, and looked at their installation PDF, but I decided to do my own using handlebar risers (I already had a 1" riser), ROX bar extenders, Honda Transalp Clutch Cable, custom throttle cables from Motion Pro (see sources for cables) and a Goodridge 22" brake line (a 21" line may work even better) with straight and 35 degree banjo end. Also 4 new sealing washers for the banjo fittings. There is an extra straight banjo in the pic since I did not know which would work best, a straight or a 35 degree one. Also the brake line in the pic is 24" long which was too long so I got a 22" one after I found that out. Here is the stuff:

For the installation of these parts I generally followed the instructions available as a PDF download at the Helibars site for their product. My suggestion - follow the owners manual for plastic removal order. It is slightly different then what is documented in the Helibars PDF. The most tedious part is adjusting the throttle cables at the motor -- not difficult just takes time because of very little arc of movement space for the wrench. The clutch cable threads up from below easier if the wheel is turned to the left. For the brake line, clamp the straight banjo in a vice between 2 pieces of rubber and screw on the brake line. This is the lower end fitting for a non-ABS model. After using a Mityvac setup to suck out the brake fluid from the brake reservoir, then removing the factory brake line, bolt the 35 degree banjo to the reservoir and then bolt the lower banjo fitting of the Goodridge line to the junction block and screw the upper end of the line to the 35 degree banjo fitting. For an ABS model I would suggest you find a place that makes up hydraulic hoses (ask a farm implement dealer for a recommendation perhaps) and show them your hose (on the bike of course). Ask if they can use your fittings to make one 3" longer, or perhaps add a 3" extention to your hose.

Upper end of brake line:

Lower end of brake line - note that it is tie strapped to the fork tube to keep it low so it will not rub on full left turns:

Brake line looking down the tube - note that it is tie strapped midway between the clamps to keep it next to the tube:

Side view of the parts installed, note 1" riser and 2" ROX bar extender. I have recently changed out the 1" riser for a 1.5" one:

Another view of the parts installed:

I've described brake bleeding in another post, using the Mityvac setup to suck the fluid down the line while a friend keeps the reservoir topped off.

To raise the tank, loosen the bolts, swing the ROX bar extenders and attached bars up until the tank will clear. I used the ROX entenders with the anti-vib inserts, you could spend less money and use the solid ones if you prefer.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Very informative thread. Great job! Moderator: Would it be difficult to have all the DIY posts of this quality cataloged as an easy reference for our family? They could be indexed as to which category is appropriate--e.g. Handlebars, Electrics, etc. It would certainly be a great reference.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Moderator: Would it be difficult to have all the DIY posts of this quality cataloged as an easy reference for our family? They could be indexed as to which category is appropriate--e.g. Handlebars, Electrics, etc. It would certainly be a great reference.
Well RedBird put in the correct sub-forum (Forum / Main Category / Farkles / Accessories / Handlebars / Footpegs), thank you very much :D, so I'm not sure what else to do with it.... Suggestions?

BTW Nice write up RedBird!

hondaaddict

How much does this setup cost? I'm almost afraid to ask because I just spend $400 on the Helibar system.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Well RedBird put in the correct sub-forum (Forum / Main Category / Farkles / Accessories / Handlebars / Footpegs), thank you very much :D, so I'm not sure what else to do with it.... Suggestions?

BTW Nice write up RedBird!
Wayne, I really don't know what is doable on computers----I just muddle through just enough to get by. On another forum I saw all the DIYs indexed, eg, Electrical: Installing Denali Lights. or Installing a Zumo GPS, and so on.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Two questions.

Do the ROX isolators really work, ie, are they worth the extra money or do you still have vibrations in the bars. Having used a variety of things that are supposed to cure the vibration problem I am always skeptical.

That setup looks like it would interfere with a tank bag, ie, you can't use one. Is that the case?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
On another forum I saw all the DIYs indexed, eg, Electrical: Installing Denali Lights. or Installing a Zumo GPS, and so on.
That would be nice but I don't know how to do that here. The best I can do is add is How-To and Review flags if the OP doesn't add them. Please send me a link to that forum so I can see what they are doing...

Motopilot

Two questions.

Do the ROX isolators really work, ie, are they worth the extra money or do you still have vibrations in the bars. Having used a variety of things that are supposed to cure the vibration problem I am always skeptical.

That setup looks like it would interfere with a tank bag, ie, you can't use one. Is that the case?
I'm in the process of installing the ROX riser now and will let you know if it helps with vibration or not. (might be a few weeks before I receive my custom throttle cables, though)
I think the angle/height you use will determine if it hits a tank bag or not. The photo above shows a relatively low angle compared to how I've positioned mine so far. My bars are much higher (but not as far back) as the ones above. Also, that photo has both a 1" riser plus the 2" Rox riser.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Looking at the pix, I'm about 99% sure that Ken's setup would not work with either of my Bags Connection tankbags, the DayPack or the City. I'd love to sit that way, but I guess I'm pretty well adjusted to leaning now.

Good and helpful "How To," Ken! Thanks.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I'm in the process of installing the ROX riser now and will let you know if it helps with vibration or not. (might be a few weeks before I receive my custom throttle cables, though)
I think the angle/height you use will determine if it hits a tank bag or not. The photo above shows a relatively low angle compared to how I've positioned mine so far. My bars are much higher (but not as far back) as the ones above. Also, that photo has both a 1" riser plus the 2" Rox riser.
Thanks. I am looking at my 1" riser plus another 1" up and 2-3" back. If the ROX isolators make a big difference I will go that route. If not, will probably get a custom set of bars.

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Well, perhaps I'm biased since I'm using these Rox risers but I think they do eliminate almost all the handlebar vibration. And yes, the way I have positioned mine, only a small magnetic tank bag will work. Large tank bags will not. As far as how much did the setup cost, well, less then the helibars but not all that much less. From memory, around $160 for the 1" and the Rox Risers, $70 or so for the throttle cables, a little less then $20 for the transalp clutch cable, and around $70 for the brake cable parts. So that's $320.00

Motopilot

I went for a short ride after installing the ROX risers, and it did seems like there was less vibration, especially at slower speeds, however there is still some vibration at ~60 and up.. I'd have to ride longer at speed to see if my hands feel any different. I also rode my Burgman 400 for the first time in several months, and was amazed at how smooth it is compared to the NT. No vibration in the bars at all. (but, then again, I wasn't on the highway either, and that's an adventure in itself on the Burgy)
I did like the riding position from the change, although an extended windshield is now going to be a requirement too, I feel.
I was able to ride without any cable extensions, but the clutch and brake are tighter than I'm comfortable with and the throttle needs 1-2" too, so I'll be getting new cables/lines for all three.

Motopilot

After a few weeks, I'm really happy with the ROX riser so far. It CAN be installed and the bike ridden without changing any cables, but I ordered a new clutch and throttle cables and have yet to order/replace the brake line. I was surprised at how I had to take the entire bike apart to replace the throttle and clutch lines. I might have been able to replace the clutch without removing the plastic, but my wrenches wouldn't quite fit at the bottom to allow me to remove the cable. The throttle is even worse... you need to lift the tank and remove the air filter housing. Definitely need the service manual for this one.

After I got everything torn apart, had installed one of the two throttle cables, and was ready to install the other one I found that the threaded nut that connects the cable to the handlebar housing was installed incorrectly in REVERSE! See attached photo. Had to put the original cable back on and put everything back together and will have to wait for a replacement before trying again! UGH! (the whole process took me about 2 hours)

Attachments

NL7U

For those with the ABS models that replace the front brake line, be aware that it takes a special fitting on the "down" end to link up to the ABS system. Moto-Heaven in Pennsylvania should be able to supply the correct hose.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Do you have a URL for their site?
For those with the ABS models that replace the front brake line, be aware that it takes a special fitting on the "down" end to link up to the ABS system. Moto-Heaven in Pennsylvania should be able to supply the correct hose.

NL7U

www.moto-heaven.com

Make sure you tell them you have the ABS model if that is what you have. The fitting that joins the ABS components has a threaded mounting hole, the same as the OEM one. They put mine together (I was there when they made it) with an unthreaded one, which I did not realize until getting back to Florida (they are in Penna.) and had to make accomdations for mounting. Also, don't be surprised if you have to do some filing on the mounting bracket that is welded to the frame to clear the new fitting. It wasn't a big deal, but you should be aware of that. the more I ride my 700, the better I like it, which is more than I said about it for the first two years of ownership.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks. I installed the Helibars riser and don't really care for the extension line they provide for the ABS model. I was expecting an entirely new (and longer) upper hose. Instead they provided a short extension with a bulky bleeder valve on it. :frown: I'd rather have a complete hose from the reservoir to the steel ABS module line. The extension Helibars provided functions but is an inelegant solution that doesn't look worthy of their beautifully manufactured riser. Definitely looks like a rush job. I'd like to clean the look up but finding that fitting is definitely a custom deal.

www.moto-heaven.com

Make sure you tell them you have the ABS model if that is what you have. The fitting that joins the ABS components has a threaded mounting hole, the same as the OEM one. They put mine together (I was there when they made it) with an unthreaded one, which I did not realize until getting back to Florida (they are in Penna.) and had to make accomdations for mounting. Also, don't be surprised if you have to do some filing on the mounting bracket that is welded to the frame to clear the new fitting. It wasn't a big deal, but you should be aware of that. the more I ride my 700, the better I like it, which is more than I said about it for the first two years of ownership.

jugbelly

I am considering relocating my bars as you did. Do you have a list of sources and part numbers that you would be willing to share. Thanks

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
See the "sticky" thread on sources for longer cables. Read through that thread, part numbers and where to get them are listed in it. Note my last post in the thread about an alternative to the brake line that I used. Also, this was done to a non-ABS NT. If yours is an ABS model, you would need a different brake line then the one I used. For the actual Rox risers, search the web and you will find several places to get them, including Rox themselves. For the 1.5" risers, I adapted (drilled out) a set I got from http://eaglemike.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=bar+risers that are made for a KLR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom