Shoei Qwest

Dan,

I don't have a Quest, my current helmet is a RF-1000 TC-6, but my overall experience with Shoei, with a RF-700 and a RF-900 prior to my RF-1000, has been very good...

Wayne,
I have an RF 1000 but Shoei advertises that the Qwest is designed for a more upright touring posture like the NT. Just wonder it there is a difference or if it is advertising gobbledygook.
Dan

Wayne,
I have an RF 1000 but Shoei advertises that the Qwest is designed for a more upright touring posture like the NT. Just wonder it there is a difference or if it is advertising gobbledygook.
Dan

I get very good airflow through my RF-1000, especially on the top vents, so I don't know how much they can improve on it...

I have the Shoei RF-1100 full face. Very comfortable to ride but I miss the convenience of flipping up the front when I am stopped. Thinking about a Shoei Multitec but also interested in the Schuberth C3.

Andy,

Cycle Gear has the Shoei Multi-Tech on sale for around $450 depending on size /color... I just ordered one in Axis Yellow from the local store that should be in just after Christmas. I considered the Schuberth C3 but for the price difference, and local dealer, I decided to stay with Shoei... Plus all my spare shields will interchange!:cool:

What I like in concept is the new mechanism that causes the seal between the shield and the helmet to self adjust. I never have been very good at making the adjustment to get a good fit for Shoei. I have seen the specs on this helmet and 2 db reduction is really not a great deal but I do like the fit. I have had RF 800,900, and 1000. Each has its pluses and minuses. I like the fit of the 900 better for the summer and the 1000 for the winter warmth. The 1000 is quieter but has less view. The 1000 has removalable inserts; the 900 does not. The Qwest has removable everything I think. It does have vent adjusts that work well with gloves on. I will get one if I can find something I like that is affordable. The dealers don't seem to like it due to the price.

Lorien

One little trick that used to help me when I wore Bell Helmets was to put 1/8 inch self adhesive black felt along the top of the visor in the inside. That thin band cut noise, old Bells whistled!, and kept the rain from running down the inside of my visor. You can get the felt at any craft store. I have not needed to do that trick on any of my Shoei's....

I just bought a new Qwest to retire my 5 year old TZ-R (that I loved by the way). I must say that I am a bit disappointed in the Qwest.

It fits really well overall, but a little different than the typical Shoei designs. It allows a little more width room and definitely a little more room in the front (good if you have a larger nose like me or tend to use a communications system with a microphone).

One thing that is pretty cool with the Qwest is that Shoei allowed a nice recessed facility for ear pieces such as the ones that come with the Cardo Rider systems. I installed the Cardo Rider Q2 Pro system and it fit nicely. It keeps the ear speakers away from your ears (no rubbing as with my TZ-R) but this also makes the ear speakers a little quieter and not a full sounding because of the distance between your ear and the speaker. The additional room in the front also allows more room for the microphone as well.

Aerodynamically I have no complaints. It is stable at any speed, light and comfy for hours of riding. The drawback is the noise! It is definitely the loudest helmet I have ever owned (even though that is one of Shoei’s selling points of the Quest). My biggest complaint is the shield. I wear glasses and sometimes like to ride with the shield up. If you open the shield any further than one click, you get an awful whistle!!! It will drive you insane! If you raise your head high or move it low, the noise will go away, but in a normal riding position, you are at the loudest point of the whistle. I have to raise the windshield of the bike to make it go away.

Besides that, you can also hear the engine noise of the bike come right up through the opening at the chin. If you add the chin curtail (supplied with the helmet) it helps reduce this phenomena. I tried using earplugs with the helmet, but it makes the Cardo communicators too quiet to hear (unlike my old TZ-R which was perfect).

I am going to try and tweak it for a while and see if I can overcome these issues, but as for now… I must say that I liked my old TZ-R MUCH better. To make matters worse… I bought two of these (one rider and one passenger)! Ooooh the buyers remorse!

Last edited:
I am curious to know if you are using the stock windshield? If it is not too much to ask your apporximate height and where do you run the shield?. Here is why I ask: when I first got my NT I was somewhat disappointed with the wind noise even with the shield full up. I was wearing a RF900 most of the time but in the winter had a RF1000 in reserve sort of. I was aware that with the 900 there was a very quiet zone about two or so inches below my usual riding position so I got a Cee BAiley +2 clear and Voila! the quiet zone came to me. Best I have had in years. Now there is a caveat: that was with my RF900; the RF1000was even quieter! UNfortunately I did not realize the the 1000 had the top vents closed (sort of missed that since I was only using it in the winter). Now come spring and I finally open the top vents on the 1000 and the noise was bad! CLose the vents and all gone. The 900 has the vents open all the time. So I suggest you may wish to experiment with the vents and see what you get. And let us know because SHoei is really pushing the Qwest as a touring helmet. Cycle World was very high on it too. I will get one maybe. Like the fit. Look forward to hearing your report.

Lorien

HI,
Since I initially started this thread I purchased a Qwest helmet and a Cee Bailey +2 inch shield. I have also found the quiet zone. The helmet fits well and is significantly quieter than the RF1000. I haven't switched the Scala rider communications over to it from my RF1000 but I should according to David.
I haven't experienced the noise issues he mentioned.
I like the helmet very much.

I have the Shoei Qwest and I thoroughly enjoy it. I have no complaints about the noise. I wear glasses and have no problem with the shield up or down. I would recommend the Shoei Qwest. With my ear plugs in when riding, it is very quiet. Just completed a 5 day 1400 mile ride with no helmet problems.

Really? Hmmm... I am going to spend a little time with it to see where my whistle is coming from. In the meantime, here is a link with a review and a list of "write in" reviews from owners; http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/qwest/ Seems like the noise issue goes back and fourth. I am curious as to what is up with my results. I will post after I get more time in with it. Personally... I really want to be happy with it. I like the style, fit and comfort. If I find the whistle... I am a happy man :)

My Shoei Qwest whistles if the shield is simply pushed close, like I was in the habit of doing with my RF1000. But if I use the little locking lever on the lower left, to actually lock the face shield down, it is the quietest helmet I've ever had, regardless of windshield position or whether the helmet vents are open or closed. The RF1000 had that locking thing too, but it didn't change the noise level to lock it, and it's a pain to have it locked so I never made it a habit. Now I am making it a habit. Locking it also stops rain from dripping down the inside of the face shield.

My two big complaints about the Qwest are:
1. It fogs up worse than any helmet I've ever had. Terrible! You almost need the rain to drip down the inside of the face shield, to clear the steam; I end up having to crack it open in wet or cold weather.
2. The ear speaker pockets are in the wrong place. I had to fill the pockets in with cut up pieces of mouse pad, so the speakers could be mounted about a quarter inch forward and down from the pockets, and stay in place properly.

The Qwest is also larger than my RF1000, which makes it harder to fit in a top case.

Hi Katherine,

Good idea regarding the relocation of the ear speakers. I am going to experiment with that a bit as well. What communication system are you using in your Qwest?

I have been using the Qwest for a few months now. Super quiet when shield is fuilly closed. Fit is excellent though I had to order the narrower cheek pads. I have also incorporated my Scala Rider headset. I think it could use more ventilation but it works. I do have to crack the face shield in certain ridingh consitions to prevent fogging however--cold mornings, some rain conditions. Overall I like the helmet very much.

I messed around with the Qwest for the entire day on a bike with no fairing or windshield. I agree… with the face shield down tight, it is the quietest helmet that I have owned. With the windshield open a notch, it still is very good with just the wind rush that one would normally expect. Opening my face shield more than half way, my Qwest does develop and very loud and annoying whistle above 45mph. I took the shield right off of the helmet and the whistle disappeared. To be honest, it was even quieter with the face shield off than even part way open! The wind rush noise was not bad at all.

On the NT things are easier to keep under control with the movable windshield. If I ride with the windshield up and the helmet is in the void, I can use the face shield in any position without incident. If I ride with the motorcycles windshield down for maximum airflow on a hot day, I just can’t open the face shield up on the Qwest past the half way point.

My old RF1000 and my TZ-R did not have this whistle issue (although the both these helmets were a little louder than the Qwest overall).

Interesting about the Shark lube-I went to one of the Cycle World shows and the Shoei rep had a similiar treatment for their helmets. I have never seen it offered publicly however.

Lorien

I would guess that the lube they are using is just silicone spray, which is available at any auto parts store. Though it's most commonly sold there in an aerosol can, and a squirt bottle would probably be more convenient for this application. Googling for silicone lube in a squirt bottle brings up many, um, "adult" stores. Perhaps what they sell would also work for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom