Stealing an NT????

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 25, 2011
Messages
3,817
Location
Spokane
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
There was a post on the Deuv forum about a guy who had his NT type bike stolen in England and dumped.
Evidently, there is such a theft issue that Honda has come up with a smart key system for NTs and even 300 cc bikes. Its called HISS.
I had no idea...wonder if they steal bikes and can somehow get them retitled to sell or what? Here, yes, many bikes are stolen but not where I tour around the west and I seldom use a disc lock.
Look at the bikes equipped with HISS on this link.....

https://world.honda.com/tech-views/motor/hiss/impression/
 
There are more NT's in Europe, and the motorcycle is recognized. With so many, No such respect for the NT here in USA. This is what was left of the wiring after it was stolen in England, he is looking for diagram on reattaching the wires.
46401799_10155985600716200_8516759383047143424_n.jpg
 
A friend of mine had his Suzuki GSX650 stolen from a restaurant carpark a few months ago, at 10.30pm.
Purely coincidentally, that was only about 300 metres from my home and I frequently use the same carpark as we often eat there.
He lives 15km away.
I have never parked my bikes there, only the car.
He did not have any "extra" protection in use (never does) only the standard ignition and steering lock.
Strangely, he works for the Police Department in admin! :shrug2:
Security video footage showed a van pulled up alongside, two men got out, lifted it onto the power tailgate, pulled it inside and drove away.
It has not been seen since.
Identities were well hidden and there were no number plates on the truck.
The level of security that I use depends on where and when I park the bike.
It can range from the standard "HISS"/steering lock, to that plus a permanently mounted vibration alarm, a "screamer" disc lock and a cable lock for the rear wheel as well.
It is unusual for me to use all of the above but I have done it a few times when touring and staying in "dodgy" areas.
It is usually a VERY long walk home if the bike goes missing.

Macka
 
A friend of mine had his Suzuki GSX650 stolen from a restaurant carpark a few months ago, at 10.30pm.
Purely coincidentally, that was only about 300 metres from my home and I frequently use the same carpark as we often eat there.
He lives 15km away.
I have never parked my bikes there, only the car.
He did not have any "extra" protection in use (never does) only the standard ignition and steering lock.
Strangely, he works for the Police Department in admin! :shrug2:
Security video footage showed a van pulled up alongside, two men got out, lifted it onto the power tailgate, pulled it inside and drove away.
It has not been seen since.
Identities were well hidden and there were no number plates on the truck.
The level of security that I use depends on where and when I park the bike.
It can range from the standard "HISS"/steering lock, to that plus a permanently mounted vibration alarm, a "screamer" disc lock and a cable lock for the rear wheel as well.
It is unusual for me to use all of the above but I have done it a few times when touring and staying in "dodgy" areas.
It is usually a VERY long walk home if the bike goes missing.

Macka

Thanks, Macka, so it looks like this happens down under, also....what do the crooks do with the bikes? Here, we have porch pirates who will steal just about anything like packages to garden trolls off of porches, and car theft of old cars that dont use a chip can be high. They are used by "undocumented pharmisutical salespeople" and then abandonded. What do your theives do with the bikes???
 
The NT700’s sold in Australia all have HISS.

Seagrass

Wow. In Spokane, if you have an old Subaru or Honda, a shaved key will start it up and you are off to the races...if you want an old Subaru Or Honda for a drug mule car....I never thought about it but I suppose the same thing might work on my NT. Maybe in Urban environments in the US there are gangs that can lift an FJR into a van and drive off with it.....I know Harleys are stolen probably the most. They might be easiest to "launder" for resale....and most profitable....
 
Thanks, Macka, so it looks like this happens down under, also....what do the crooks do with the bikes? Here, we have porch pirates who will steal just about anything like packages to garden trolls off of porches, and car theft of old cars that dont use a chip can be high. They are used by "undocumented pharmisutical salespeople" and then abandonded. What do your theives do with the bikes???

I don't have personal experience with theft but I suspect that they are dismantled and sold as parts.
If I was game enough and stupid enough to confront a thief I would love to smash their skull in.
I am not, so it will probably never happen!
I have little respect for low-life scum and believe that the legal system is too tolerant and forgiving of these people.
Sorry, but that is my opinion. I hope that I have not offended anyone here as I have a lot of respect for my fellow forum members.

Macka
 
I don't have personal experience with theft but I suspect that they are dismantled and sold as parts.
If I was game enough and stupid enough to confront a thief I would love to smash their skull in.
I am not, so it will probably never happen!
I have little respect for low-life scum and believe that the legal system is too tolerant and forgiving of these people.
Sorry, but that is my opinion. I hope that I have not offended anyone here as I have a lot of respect for my fellow forum members.

Macka

You are a wise person. 100 years ago, we lived in a different world. Now, its best to let the carjacker just take the car...its only a thing....if your 3 year old grand daughter is strapped in the back seat, well, that's another story....
 
I would be highly pissed off. Fortunately comprehensive insurance is not expensive in my area. I pay $10 a month with a $50 deductible. If mine is ever stolen I would prefer that it not be returned after the joy ride or stripping. My insurance will pay after 30 days if it has not been located.
 
I still have a hard time imagining anybody in my part of the world stealing my NT. Especially now that it's old and been dropped a lot.
 
"drug addicted moron"

Might want to be careful with the NT. I think there are quite a few of those out there.

Brad
 
Consider yourself fortunate that Honda decided not to include the HISS system on our bikes. From all I have read, it can really be a pain in the rear at times!

ps. I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night so I'm no longer a drug addicted moron! :)
 
Consider yourself fortunate that Honda decided not to include the HISS system on our bikes. From all I have read, it can really be a pain in the rear at times!

ps. I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night so I'm no longer a drug addicted moron! :)

Does the Holliday inn cure drug addiciton or stupidity????? ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom