Suppose you had to tie one to a trailer

bicyclist

How would you do it? What can you attach tie-downs to? Remove some tupperware and hook to something underneath?

When MOPMan took mine to his shop to make the highway pegs, we used a canyon dancer to tie it in place.

How would you do it? What can you attach tie-downs to? Remove some tupperware and hook to something underneath?

Use soft straps around the triple clamp and then tie down strap to the soft straps. Same with the grab rails, but use a rag around the grab rails before the soft straps and then the tie down straps. Ues at least a four point tiedown and then use the 1,10,100 mile check. I dont like canyon dancers as I think it puts too much stress on the handle bars. Attached are some pictures of my ST tied down in that fashion

Last edited:
If you have a baxley sport chock, then you don't have to tie the front down as tight.

Thanks, everyone. Chuck, I was thinking about doing what you did but maybe using the frame rails under the seat for the rear tie down. What's the hive mind opinion on whether I could use Chuck's triple clamp method without removing any plastic?

Thanks, everyone. Chuck, I was thinking about doing what you did but maybe using the frame rails under the seat for the rear tie down. What's the hive mind opinion on whether I could use Chuck's triple clamp method without removing any plastic?

I tie my NT to my lift and I trailerd my NT home from the dealer using that method and do not have to remove plastic.

We've used canyon dancers and rear ties to haul our bikes from MI down to NC no worries.

When I rode the ferry from Maniwotoc to Luddington, I didn't think that tying to the triple clamp gave me enough of a spread. And the big pannier lids made it hard to use the passenger grab rails. I had the bike on the side stand and hooked to the mesh in the ferry's deck and then crossed the two straps over the bike's seat in an "X." The bike didn't move during the whole four hour trip.

What I have is a 38 year old Cox motorcycle trailer. The rails aren't wide enough for the back tire to sit all the way down in the rail, so I want to be sure the bike is well secured and I don't want to remove the tupperware because I don't know how to do it , yet.

Here's how I tied mine down to my lift. I tied the front down just as Chuck mentioned above - triple clamp. It would help to have tie down loops before using the straps.

NTfrontwheelraised2.jpg

Sorry to dredge up an old thread. I have to trailer my bike from FL to NC. If I get the Canyon Dancers what size do I get? I think I understand where the triple clamp is but an up close picture showing where to put the soft straps would be great. I couldn't tell exactly where to put the soft straps from the pictures in this thread. Sorry I don't have the bike yet so it might be self explanatory once I actually am looking at the bike. Finally there seems to be differing opinions on using rear passenger grab handles. Can I use them with soft straps and some towels for protection or should I just use the frame near the passenger pegs?

I intend to bring tools just in case I need to remove some plastic to strap her down. Any specific tools needed or do I just bring my entire garage? :)

A screw driver is all you need to take the black plastic tip over wing covers off....and that is the best "low" tie down point on the bike. And if if you somehow scuff the paint it is covered by the tip over wings plastic...

As for the Canyon Dancer size my NT handlebars are 31 inches including the bar ends. I have the new version, the Canyon Dancer Two, in the Sport / Standard model (Part Number 32505) which fits bars up to 32 inches.

Don't forget to stop and check / re-tighten your tie downs as needed after a few miles...

BTW dredging up an old thread is the way to go... This keeps all the questions and responses in one place instead of scattered about...:D

EDIT: Don't forget to put the windshield all the way down to minimize drag and pressure on the windshield....

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I think I have what I need to ratchet her down safe and snug. I am going to use the Canyon Dancers, the tip over wings and the grab handles. That is six points... That should be enough. I found an enclosed motorcycle trailer for a great rental price. Only the best for my new bike!

FYI forget U-Haul they are way to expensive. They wanted $160 for an open out of state rental. I found a local place with a 5x8 enclosed v-nose trailer with wheel chock for $24.95 for the entire weekend. I like this trailer so much I think I might buy one just like it sometime in the future. I found a local place that sells them for $1300 brand new.

I hate to dredge up an old post but thought it better than creating a new one. I need to get my bike to Florida to visit my sister. A couple posts indicated the bike would fit in a full size pickup. I found a really good ramp (Big Boy II) and and am considering purchasing it but want to make sure the NT will fit in the back of a full size pickup with a 5.5ft bed. I have a F150 SuperCrew with the 5.5ft bed. Has anyone ever put an NT in the back of a truck like this?

I searched but could not find a thread that discussed this.

I just trailered my new one home.

two soft straps to the triple tree and then tie downs from the soft straps to the front of the trailer
I removed the tip over wing covers and tied them to the d-rings in the front floor of the trailer
Then I put two more on the wings straight to the side of the trailer
I avoided the grab bars altogether

Back
Top Bottom