Vista Cruise

Igo

I don't see a thread titled Vista Cruise. I thought I saw something here.
All I want is something cheap on those long straights that I can set for 10 minutes while I shift off my right hand.
Sometimes I let go of the left handlebar and turn about 10 degrees left to aid in circulation. All I want to do is do the same thing with my right. Will this Vista Cruise do?
I would rather have the easiest thing to install then cheap being the next consideration. I won't used these for long distance cruise control, just a few minutes of releif on a safe stretch out in nowhere land.
Thanks all.

taldric

There was a vista cruise installed on my NT when I bought it. It looked cheap and felt crappy. I removed it immediately, but I admit I never tried to use it.

I did install the Throttlemeister from MCL over the weekend. After some adjustment and remembering to apply the thread lock it worked great! I'm still learning the best way to turn it on/off while at speed, but it looks great and works great. Admittedly a bit expensive though.

Stex

I have Vista Cruise on: NT700, 650 V-Strom, 1200 Bandit, VTX1800 and 400 Burgman..............it works great to give your hand/arm alittle break. It's cheap, easy to install and easy to adjust, it does exactly what you want lock the throttle........just give it a try. If you have the bucks go for the other stuff.

elizilla

Igo, there are two kinds of Vista Cruises available. Both have something to fix them to the switch pod, and a ring that wraps around the throttle tube, in between the grip and the switch pod. Then there's a lever you press down that tightens the ring and grips the throttle tube. The difference is in the mechanism they have to fix them in place. One has a pair of fingers that wrap around the switch pod and are supposed to be trapped by the throttle cables. The other has a bar several inches long that reaches over to grip a clamp that is attached to the handlebar, just inboard of the switch pod. The first one is the most unobtrusive, but it doesn't fit the NT, at least not unmodified, because our throttle cables don't exit in the right spot, and they're not the right shape for it to grab.

I installed the wrong Vista Cruise on my NT, because I happened to have an old one in a pile of junk on my workbench. I used zip-ties to hold the fingers in the right spot. It works well.

I've installed other Vista-Cruises in the past. The thing you have to understand about the Vista-Cruise is that you can't just throw them in there willy-nilly and expect them to work well. You have to find a way to make the action smooth. In the case of the NT, the stock grip has a sort of bead in it, that fits it closely to the switch pod. You can't see it unless you take the grip off. I trimmed this bead, because it interfered with the Vista-Cruise. I also worked on the Vista-Cruise itself, a bit, with my bench grinder, to flatten some bulges and smooth it out, and to make it fit cleanly to the shape of the NT's switch pod. Then I used silicone spray where the Vista Cruise and the grip rub - this will be a maintenance item, to reapply at every oil change. And my zip ties hold the Vista-Cruise much more rigidly to the switch pod, than it would be held by the standard arrangement. As a result, it works perfectly. It doesn't prevent the throttle from springing back when it's not engaged, and when I do engage it, it holds perfectly steadily, exactly where I put it.

Here are some pictures:

Last edited by a moderator:

taldric

Mine had the "bar" type lock on it. I actually like the look of the one that Katherine has. Katherine, you want me to send you a black zip tie to make it a little less obvious? ;-)

elizilla

I'll acquire some locally. :) It's been on my list, but I'm glad I still have the white ones for the photo - it makes it easier to illustrate what I did there.

bish79

I have the one with the bar lock on it. If installed properly, it works well and doesn't feel cheap.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Sounds like MCL is caught up with back orders and is handling new orders fairly quickly

OP
OP

Igo

Igo, there are two kinds of Vista Cruises available. Both have something to fix them to the switch pod, and a ring that wraps around the throttle tube, in between the grip and the switch pod. Then there's a lever you press down that tightens the ring and grips the throttle tube. The difference is in the mechanism they have to fix them in place. One has a pair of fingers that wrap around the switch pod and are supposed to be trapped by the throttle cables. The other has a bar several inches long that reaches over to grip a clamp that is attached to the handlebar, just inboard of the switch pod. The first one is the most unobtrusive, but it doesn't fit the NT, at least not unmodified, because our throttle cables don't exit in the right spot, and they're not the right shape for it to grab.

I installed the wrong Vista Cruise on my NT, because I happened to have an old one in a pile of junk on my workbench. I used zip-ties to hold the fingers in the right spot. It works well.

I've installed other Vista-Cruises in the past. The thing you have to understand about the Vista-Cruise is that you can't just throw them in there willy-nilly and expect them to work well. You have to find a way to make the action smooth. In the case of the NT, the stock grip has a sort of bead in it, that fits it closely to the switch pod. You can't see it unless you take the grip off. I trimmed this bead, because it interfered with the Vista-Cruise. I also worked on the Vista-Cruise itself, a bit, with my bench grinder, to flatten some bulges and smooth it out, and to make it fit cleanly to the shape of the NT's switch pod. Then I used silicone spray where the Vista Cruise and the grip rub - this will be a maintenance item, to reapply at every oil change. And my zip ties hold the Vista-Cruise much more rigidly to the switch pod, than it would be held by the standard arrangement. As a result, it works perfectly. It doesn't prevent the throttle from springing back when it's not engaged, and when I do engage it, it holds perfectly steadily, exactly where I put it.

Here are some pictures:

Katherine, I sure do appreciate the efforts to explain all this. I shoot 1000 yard target rifles and I am accustomed to polishing very fine and tiny pieces of hardware to clean up machine action. I understand what you are saying. But I can't see the entire mechanism. Is this something I may not be able to over power in a crisis?
For all parties interested, I'm only looking for a mechanism that will allow me to rest the right side of my body for 6 or 10 minutes in a clear stretch. I'm not looking for long distance cruise control.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Igo/Ego/whatever (a tip of the hat to Rick for the personality insight!),

I've had Vista-cruises on my old Silverwing and on my first Concours. They're just like the Throttlemeister -- you won't have any trouble over-powering them. They simply don't allow the throttle snap back when you take your hands off. I usually crank off the Throttlemeister, but when there's a need for RIGHT-FREAKIN'-NOW throttle off, I just twist away.

bish79

Thank you bish. So how does one go about aquiring one of these bar type Vista Cruise?
I was lucky, I just happened to walk into my dealer (which is a Honda powerhouse) and they had a few in stock. I don't remember the exact price but I think it was in the $30 to $40 range.

elizilla

It's very easy to roll off with the Vista-Cruise engaged. You have expend a similar effort to roll off, as you do to roll on, is all. You could ride with it engaged all the time, and quickly it would seem normal.

OP
OP

Igo

Excellent. That is what I'm going to do then.
Now I just got to get the luggage rack finished.

OP
OP

Igo

You already know I can't answer that question but the Vista Cruise is a charm. If I understand the operating principle of your Throttlemeister from just looking at the un-installed mechanism then I'd have to say that the Vista Cruise has a much greater friction surface so much less fiddling to get it adjusted. That is, if I understand how the ThrottleMeister works.
I'd be glad to look at it more closely Rick. I'd like to see the instructions. It sure is nicely machined.

taldric

I don't have the Honda heated grips, I bough the Oxford ones from Twisted Throttle, but getting the Throttlemeister to work properly was a bit tricky. Did you get the plastic piece that goes into the end of your grips? My grips extend past the plastic tube so I had to use the black plastic "adapter" thingy. I had to cut it down to the correct length, then glue it into the end of the heated grips. Then the long metal part with the rubber o-rings on it slides into the center of the plastic throttle with the machined part screwing into the end. Getting that contraption then adjusted to the exact correct distance so that "off" lets the throttle rotate freely and "on" stops it from moving took me some time and trial and error. I discovered that I wasn't tightening the bolt down nearly far enough at first - you really have to wrench that thing around.

taldric

I don't remember an aluminum spacer being in there. Just the long metal thing with the black o-rings around it connected to the end piece. Maybe I'm remembering wrong? In my mind there were only three parts to the throttle side - the long metal thing with the black o-rings that goes inside the handlebars, the black plastic adapter that goes in the end of the grips, then the throttlemeister itself attached at the outside. There might have been a small aluminum "plug" that was inside the throttlmeister. Maybe your trying to put something in there that doesn't belong? Did you pull out the weight inside the handlebars on the throttle side?

Top Bottom