You didnt use a tooth brush and Q tips on your chain? Oh no.......![]()
NOPE... Nothing this time around just sprayed it with PJ1 Blue Label. I use a grunge brush usually and only when required.
Yours was polished to a mirror finish.
You didnt use a tooth brush and Q tips on your chain? Oh no.......![]()
NOPE... Nothing this time around just sprayed it with PJ1 Blue Label. I use a grunge brush usually and only when required.
Yours was polished to a mirror finish.
WD 40 is mostly Kerosene so its fine, but way more expensive than real kerosene. I was shocked today to learn how much a new chain and sprockets would cost after 20k-30K.....$200 Plus you are going to have to learn how to use a chain staker...looks to be a two step process and not explained well in the breaker manuals...thankfully, there is youtube....I do pretty much the same drill on my bicycle chains as I do with the Yamaha XS650. I clean the chain with WD-40 and use those blue disposable Shop towels. A couple of passes with the WD-40 does the job. I then dry the chain thoroughly using the blue shop towels and a hair dryer. Then I apply the chain lube (I like the white Lithium variety). The wheel then gets spun very slowly while heat is applied to the chain with the hair dryer. The chain gets wiped down in the morning with a blue disposable shop towel.
Shaft drive is more convenient, but chains are a lot better now than they were in the 60s.
WD 40 is mostly Kerosene....
10% is only about 5HP at the rear wheel for the NT. Not going to do much.
The weight savings of a chain or belt drive would probably do more

Anyway, that’s why I’m back with my second NT. It may not fit me as well as the Strom, with a bit of pressure on my old wrists that isn’t ideal. And the NT has its own quirks with the underwhelming pannier system and jigsaw puzzle plastic works.
If I recall correctly from the previous Strom, the hydraulic line for the front brake was the most limiting component in achieving the bar height adjustment.
Lou there is a drive belt kit available for the VStrom. Some clever person in Europe worked it all out and sells them in kit form.
From memory you get around 40,000 kilometres (24,000 mikes) from a belt with almost zero maintenance.
When I had my VStrom I was seriously considering the belt kit as I loved the Vstom and it fitted my 6 foot 1 inch frame very well.
I love the NT too but the six speed VStrom with excellent fuel economy (always above 60Mpg and up to 80Mpg) is always a draw card, excpept for that chain.
Seagrass