First ride on my new NC700X

elizilla

The drop foot issue with my left foot has made it real hard to shift gears. I installed a hand shifter kit for the Ural, and I've been looking at electric shifters for the Super10. But I am also trying a different solution. Today I picked up my new NC700X DCT.

The local Honda dealer where I bought all my previous bikes, has changed hands and changed all their employees again, and the new guys couldn't be bothered to come up with a quote for the bike, even when I said they could email it to me later. I guess they assumed I was a tire kicker and not serious, and I'm not going to chase them just for a quote. So I had to buy it from a dealer that is 75 miles away. I'm glad I don't need service.

Anyway, when we got back from Honda Lapeer with the bike in the truck, it was 35 degrees and sunny. This is the third day in a row that it's been above freezing, so the roads are kinda sorta passable on a bike. I took it out for a little ride. Only 3 miles, since I don't have the heated grips installed yet, or the harness for the electrics, and it's cold at speed. I didn't leave the village or go over 35mph. But the bike is very nice. Compared to the Super10 or even the NT, it is light and small and easy to manage. The DCT works well; I never wished I was in a different gear and it shifts very smoothly. It is disconcerting to not have a clutch, and the footpegs feel high; I may change them. I'll wait and see if I get used to them first.

But so far, so good.

Sounds like you have a new "project" to get ready for spring! I'll be interested to hear how the DCT performs on the road when you get more of a chance to ride it....

On to the farkling. My favorite part! First it is getting heated grips and a chain oiler. Then the Autocom, the Flash2Pass, some power outlets, hyperlites, maybe some driving lights.

For now I am going to hold off on the Givi racks, since I am so awkward and the bike has that huge storage compartment in the fake tank. I'll see how I do with that before I add any Givis.

The NC was one of the bikes I looked at before buying the NT. If I had a shorter commute it might have won, partly by virtue of the gas mileage and the uber-easy maintenance.

Congrats on your new scoot! Keep us updated on how it works for us tall folk.

Congratulations, Katherine! We hope that this works out well for you and will be anxious to hear how farkling progresses.

Congrats and keep us updated. This might well be my next bike when the NT gives out or I get the itch.

Congrats on the new bike. You might want to consider http://www.pro-oiler.net/ instead of Scotoiler, although it is a little pricey.

I actually already have the Pro-Oiler. I ran it on my VFR, and the guy I sold the VFR to didn't want it, so I kept it. I'm going to clean it up and put it on the NC.

But first I have to reclaim my table lift from my sweetie's 1971 Triumph project bike. :)

nc700x_firstride640x480_zps7de142b1.jpg

Hope you enjoy the new ride. You may want to add a snowmobile to your stable by the looks of white stuff in the background.

Brad

Daboo;109221 I've been working so much recently said:
(But it has given me the $$$ to pay for it easily.)[/I] Rather than keep putting it off, I'm taking it to the local Triumph dealer. They are competent mechanics (I hope, since I've never used them before), and they should be able to handle this with no problems.

Chris

Chris, if you are taking it to the Cycle Barn, that is where I took mine for the valve adjustment. I'm assuming they did a good job, though tough to tell. I was annoyed with what they quoted me originally for labor. They originally quoted 3.5 hours which I thought was a joke especially since it was already being worked on from my accident. After complaining they knocked an hour off.

Katherine congratulations on the new purchase, I hope it works out well for you and it sounds like a GREAT solution to keep you riding.

I will be very keen to here your opinion on the DCT after you have put some miles on the bike. I do not know anyone who has owned a DCT but I have read a few reviews that were quite favorable toward them. It will be interesting to hear a review from someone "I know" (so to speak)

To Chris and Commuter, I was talking to the service advisor Michelle and she said there is currently a discount for service in their slow months. I've had them do all the work on my NT and it has been fine. I bought my NT there and have a 'lifetime' 20% discount on service, not great, but not bad either.

Terry

[...Does your bike have a center stand?...]

I believe that a centerstand is NOT standard but is available as an accessory.

Great looking bike in Red.. I tried the test ride the DCT back before I got the VStrom and couldn't find one around here. I didn't like the low rpm shifting on the manual one but I thought that would be negated on the DCT - meaning I just didn't have to worry about it.

The thing that killed me was where they put the horn button, kept hitting it when trying to turn off the signals.

Congrats on the ride! I've been on the CTX700 forum and they all seem to be very pleased with the bikes. I'm happy to hear your initial very positive report.
My wife has been thinking that she doesn't want to bother with shifting anymore as she is as old as me which makes her an old lady. She's narrowed her choices to the CTX 700 and the new Honda Forza 300 scooter. We'll see. It's probably 2 months anyway before the weather improves enough her in Maine for a fair weather rider like her.

I bought the accessory centerstand, got them to include it with the bike, and install it before delivery so I don't have to fight with those darned springs.

IMHO there's no excuse for a bike to have a chain and no centerstand!

Katherine, +1 on what Paul said. I saw the Twisted Throttle NC700X project bike when I was there in September. It was quite a bike and made me rethink my earlier automatic rejection of the bike.

I saw it at the moto show in January. It looked sharp.

Some farkles are bike specific, some are generic. Of the generic ones, all the ones I like, I already own. I am a good customer of theirs. :)

The bike specific ones, like crash bars, I don't know if I will buy. I am thinking I prefer to keep the bike light for now and risk scratching it in drops.

Back
Top Bottom