Dreamin' of the R1200RT

I think BMW has been very innovative and willing to update their machines every few years while listening to their customers needs. The 2014, R1200Rt demonstrates that and it is a very well engineered and executed bike. I ride the 08 model and had no problems after 40K miles and never spend $4000/year for maintenance.

Thanx for this post. This was beginning to read like a Harley thread. :tongue:

Let's Drink To The Plebians .. .. .. .. .. .. and the Salt of Margarieta , and the NT's .. and everyone and anyone .. -- cause remember what Charlton Heston found on the beach , an old NT

The only down side to owning an S10 is that you really can't strike that arrogant BMW pose, like you have the absolute very best and all the rest of us are plebeians and unenlightened. Been there---watched that:)

Sam:)

It still kinda gets to my brother when we are riding together. I get about 10 gawkers for the Guzzi to one who pays attention to his beemer. And it always seems there is someone who owns, used to own, or know someone that owns a Guzzi. I even get the dirt bike crowd with the ammo cans.

But, he still loves his bike and hasn't had any issues at all with it.

My advice to all is not to own a modern BMW motorcycle that's not under warranty. 4K for a clutch job and 2K for a final drive will dampen your enthusiasm for the brand.

I own 4 'modern' BMW's (and 3 airheads). R1200C, R850R, and a pair of baby GS's. Love them all. None are under warranty. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, warranty or no. It only gets expensive if you have to take it to the dealer to do work. Swapping out the clutch on the C isn't that difficult a job. No way would pay someone to do it for me. Although I do get paid to do maintenance on other peoples BMW's. :)

And, when was the last time you had to change a clutch? Unless you torture them, even dry clutches tend to go at least 50k, if not 100k.

Only clutches that I've ever had to replace were on Honda's. Both our Rebels had to have them replaced at ~3500 miles. Mine now had almost 30,000 on it. I think someone was asleep on the line when they assembled them.

Okay - the dream has dimmed. It was always a dream (no way I can afford an RT), but BMW issued more than a mere recall on the new 2014 R1200RT - they issued a "Do Not Ride" notice on June 5th.

Seems that the rear shock used on the Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment is defective and dangerous enough for them to issue the Do Not Ride notice.

I'm glad I don't have $25,000 in a bike I can't ride.

I dont know why but I am lately very enamoured with the CTX700 DCT.
If my wife wouldnt leave me, I would trade my NT for one right now
It is so light and low

I dont know why but I am lately very enamoured with the CTX700 DCT.
If my wife wouldnt leave me, I would trade my NT for one right now
It is so light and low

They are difficult to find at dealers, at least from what few of them I have seen. I would really like to take one out for a demo ride. Last week at Friendly Honda i asked when they would get a CTX1300 on the floor. They had no clue. They had plenty of four wheelers and jet skis on the floor though. More of them than motorcycles......shows where the sales emphasis is.
They did have a CBX1100 Deluxe on the floor.....I really really like this bike. Fit and finish was superb on this one!

I think I would prefer the NC700X above the CTX700 outfitted like the sample on Twisted Throttle.

Last edited:
I believe the new water-cooled engines used last year in the GS and now this year for the RT, has a smaller diameter wet clutch. The NT is definitely top heavy while the RT has most of its engine mass very low so it's the opposite and likely to feel much lighter when sitting on the bike.

There is currently a "Do Not Sell" order from BMW NA to dealers on new RTs because from what I was told, the shock shaft was improperly heat treated and could break.

And with both, you'd need to buy some kind of storage to add to it. So initial cost to ride one away, isn't bad. But the cost to have it fitted to ride like many of us ride here, is much higher.

I think I would forego hard luggage and go with soft luggage next time around. The hard luggage adds a ton of $$ to the cost

On my CBR250R I had a Motocentric setup of soft saddle bags that had a tail bag that snapped onto the saddle bags and all were expandable
I could carry a ton of stuff and the setup was under $200
Only downside was it wasn't water proof

Clay, if you had a BMW R1200RT, you wouldn't want soft luggage -- you'd demand the excellent BMW hard luggage. And you'd enjoy looking at it until they came up with a fix to the "DO NOT RIDE" problem.

Clay, if you had a BMW R1200RT, you wouldn't want soft luggage -- you'd demand the excellent BMW hard luggage. And you'd enjoy looking at it until they came up with a fix to the "DO NOT RIDE" problem.

Phil I wasn't talking about putting soft luggage on a BMW. I was talking about a CTX700D. That Hondaline luggage is higher than a cat's back and I don't think it really provides a value equal to the cost

I know its a BMW thread but I threw in the Honda for some silly reason

. . . I was talking about a CTX700D. That Hondaline luggage is higher than a cat's back and I don't think it really provides a value equal to the cost

I know its not the CTX700 that you're talking about, but Twisted Throttle did a nice project on an NC700. I think there are lots of very good sidecase choices out there without buying the Honda gear.

I know its not the CTX700 that you're talking about, but Twisted Throttle did a nice project on an NC700. I think there are lots of very good sidecase choices out there without buying the Honda gear.

Doug, one difference between me and many others here is that I cannot afford big ticket farkles. If and when I get a new bike, it will be all I can manage to just buy the bike, so farkles come way down the road and I agonize over every purchase, no matter how small

Doug, one difference between me and many others here is that I cannot afford big ticket farkles. If and when I get a new bike, it will be all I can manage to just buy the bike, so farkles come way down the road and I agonize over every purchase, no matter how small

I hear ya - I'm the same way. I stretched things to buy the NT. (But glad I did.)

My understanding is that BMW has issued a do not ride, do not sell order for the 2014 R1200RT. The dynamic electronic suspension adjustment has issues. "The rear shock absorber was prone to failure, possibly resulting in life-threatening crashes."
Furthermore, as of yet they don't have a fix. I'm told the dealers don't want to see the bike until August when they hope to have a fix.
It seems the issues is bad enough and owner are angry enough that they have announced a compensation package with several options. One of these is to sell the bike back to BMW at the original purchase price and get $1000 towards the purchase of another BMW motorcycle.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...ffected-by-the-2014-r1200rt-recall-82873.html

Back
Top Bottom