Dreamin' of the R1200RT

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
My understanding is that BMW has issued a do not ride, do not sell order for the 2014 R1200RT. The dynamic electronic suspension adjustment has issues. "The rear shock absorber was prone to failure, possibly resulting in life-threatening crashes."
Furthermore, as of yet they don't have a fix. I'm told the dealers don't want to see the bike until August when they hope to have a fix.
It seems the issues is bad enough and owner are angry enough that they have announced a compensation package with several options. One of these is to sell the bike back to BMW at the original purchase price and get $1000 towards the purchase of another BMW motorcycle.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/bmw-usa-announces-compensations-for-customers-affected-by-the-2014-r1200rt-recall-82873.html
As always happens on the Internet, there is a lot of discussion on this issue, Dan. For some reason, I've been following the "discussions" on a couple of BMW touring forums, as well as ADVRider. Some of he flame attacks are astounding! Rumors abound, but yes - it does appear that BMW (at least BMW North America) will buy back the bike. Many dealers have offered loaner bikes (most folks seem to have taken either the R1200 GS or the big K1600 bikes.

Meantime, I am packing up the NT today and getting ready to leave the house early tomorrow morning for Spearfish. No "Do Not Ride" notice on MY bike!

PS: I read of one guy who was offered the C650 scooter as a loaner. After reading Yoda's post, I wonder if that R1200RT owner will take up his dealer on that offer,.

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
There is nothing wrong with low budget priced farkles as long as they are a proven thing with respect of doing the whole job for you. The thing that really burns me up is to see someone waste their money on alternate and still not achieve the real deal! Example, Russell seating compared to beads, air hawk corbin, sargent, ETC,ETC.If you spend your hard earned dollars wisely and get the best to begin with you are usurally not into much more in the long run. Same thing applies to mosty all clothing items. Over the years I have tried a lot of gear, most of which didn't fit, too small to get proper arm length or big enough to be comfortable and the arms too long, same on pant waist , & leg length. IF your body parts are of the right size to buy a good fit off the rack you can get by on the cheap even though it usurally will not hold up over the years of use that the good stuff will. Aerostich is one example, many sets of it get used almost daily and last beyond 10 years still doing the job in a excellent manner. In Langlitz if you can keep your body in the same size factors as when you had it built you can still be wearing it for 30 to 50 years and it will still look good and be doing it's job for you. LOL I am on my third set of langlitz due to changing waist and chest sizing, but the previous two sets are running around somewhere binging pleasure to their owners.

Bike wise as far as BMW is concerned, their suspension nd handling is superb. Being me I automaticly thing boxer engine whether R, RT or GS or GSA, most of which are almost to tall for me. For a short legged person the K1600 GT,or GTL is fantastic. A good friend has a GTL with over 40 ,000 miles and no problems with it. But there are a lot of good bikes out ther. some of the best buys for your dollar are the used NT's right now. My biggest concern with NT is the saddle bag lids or doors which ever you want to call them. When mine go totally bad I will do some real creative engineering on them, Two years in North Afrika to learn that engineering!

when new bike time caomes to me again it will probably be a HD with a reverse gear added as a $2500.00 Farkle.

Eldon

Bike
Bonneville T120
PS: I read of one guy who was offered the C650 scooter as a loaner. After reading Yoda's post, I wonder if that R1200RT owner will take up his dealer on that offer,.
The C650GT scooter has also been recalled because of faulty timing chain tensioners so I wouldn't accept that option.

slider

I just couldn't buy a BMW bike. There's just too much risk when others are making awesome problem free bikes.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
One of these is to sell the bike back to BMW at the original purchase price and get $1000 towards the purchase of another BMW motorcycle.
Is this like the old joke:
"First prize is an all expenses paid trip to ______. Second prize is two all expenses paid trips."

Bike
Just came back from a ride up to Artist Point. @250 miles...short by some standards, but we took back roads. The NT was marvelous. When I went around the North Cascades Highway with Kyle, we talked about the lids. I'm possibly speaking too soon, but I've been using mine for 14,000+ miles and using them constantly. No issues at all. In fact, it seems like the more I use them, the smoother they operate. The left is used several times a day. The right, much less so. And the right is the stiffer mechanism. My thinking is that frequent careful use will have them working for a long time.

However, if they break...I'll try some creative engineering. The rest of the bike is too good to throwaway for some plastic lids.

Chris
Chris, I acturaly have already gotten creative with mine, My Honda wrench came up with a idea of attatching some fine cable to the latches themselves and running it up through the top of the lid. as a just in case pre problem fix. These work as a over-ride to the key lock as well. Send me a pm with email on it & I can take some picturesc for you. I would post them here but that is above my skill leval.

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
This isn't a PM, but send me pictures of your mod and I'll post them here on the Forum.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The ride to Spearfish will be my "test ride", but I've modified my large panniers by totally getting rid of the OEM mechanism and replacing it with a combination lock system. It looks great - now to find out on a long trip if it works as good as it looks.

Bike
Phil,

I will do that, It is nearly light enough to try to do that in next few minuts. I am up early this morning to get my body rythem ready for tomorrows early departure for Spearfish. Coue D' Alene ID tomorrow night; Billings Tuesday night ,Wednesday early afternoon arrival at Spearfish.

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Eldon, thanks for the pix. I sure wish I could see what your mechanic attached the wires to on the inside of the pannier mechanism.

Top Bottom