Dreamin' of the R1200RT

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Disclaimer: I don't even come close to having enough money to buy a new '14 R1200RT.

So, I'm sitting here eating lunch at my desk, and wishing I could be outside riding the NT.

While wandering around on the web, I discovered that R1200RT weighs 604 pounds wet. My NT is listed at 573 pounds, though I know it weights more with the top box on it and "stuff" in the panniers.

But that surprised me - 30 pounds difference between the NT and the much more powerful Beemer. The BMW F800GT weighs in at 470 pounds, or round that out to 100 pounds lighter than the NT.

I always knew the NT wasn't particularly svelte, but it is still light enough for me to hold up easily at a stop light.

I guess what I'm asking is that if I were to win the lottery (which will be difficult as I don't ever buy any lottery tickets), would I be able to handle the extra weight of the R1200RT? Does the RT in fact have a lower COG due to the boxer engine?

Hanging around some of the other forums, its too early to tell yet if there are reliability problems with the new '14, which seems to be a radical upgrade to the whole bike. Should I start buying lottery tickets?

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
I think you may have been drawn into the "bigger is better" phenomenon. Sometimes, maybe, but IMHO, not always.

I would be most interested in a quality SOLO mid-size touring bike of 500 to 750 cc with long distance comfort, weather protection, and storage.

Since I have long since lost the desire to cruise at 100+ mph speeds, a small to mid-size tourer might be very interesting indeed. Lightweight and agile. But, especially if it utilizes the low rpm, long stroke Honda engines which produces such fantastic fuel economy.

An interesting dream, but not likely to be produced with $4.00 gas. Too little demand from those like me. Plus, no one would likely spend more for a high end, well equipped smaller machine.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
BMWs are light compared to most other brands of equal displacement. To me they feel lighter yet when I ride them.

Sometimes I wish they would make the NT a hundred pounds lighter, but if they did I couldn't afford one.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Doug, start lifting some weights at the same time you start buying the lottery tickets, lol. I'm heading in the RT direction and have listed my NT for sale which should just about cover the cost of the top case. Turns out the RT and NT have the same wheelbase (58"). The extra weight, size and ponies on the RT should come in handy in high winds.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
My question about the new RT is this: The bikes with dry clutch have to be basically broken in half to replace the clutch..($2000 or $4000 I cant remember)

With the new wet clutch, A: the clutch should last a million times longer, right?

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Doug, start lifting some weights at the same time you start buying the lottery tickets, lol. I'm heading in the RT direction and have listed my NT for sale which should just about cover the cost of the top case. Turns out the RT and NT have the same wheelbase (58"). The extra weight, size and ponies on the RT should come in handy in high winds.
Greg - I was very surprised to see your NT up for sale. When you get your RT, you'll have to come back down here and we'll ride the Border Wall again - - so I can say I've hobnobbed with an RT owner. :tongue:

Rich (Yoda) had mentioned wanting to go fast, but the NT is plenty fast for me. Not long ago, I was over near Seadrift - Port O'Connor on a two lane road with 70mph limits. After passing a car pulling a camper, I was pulled over by a local deputy. He could not have been more professional and he told me he clocked me at 72mph as I started around the camper. What I didn't tell him was that I glanced down at my speedometer when I pulled back into the right lane - and I was doing 92 and accelerating. Glad he didn't clock me there or I would've gotten a ticket. The NT has more than enough power for me and I doubt I'll ever find out how fast it will go.

No - an RT is just a dream. The NT is a great bike for me. I was just dreaming while eating my lunch, but as you say, an R1200RT is reputed to be great in the wind and very comfortable.

The closest BWM dealership for you is in San Antonio, right?

And - hope you recover from your bicycle fall. How long do you think it will be before you're on a motorcycle again?

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I agree with most all on this subject. THE OLD BMW's of the 50 vintage were the best in the world at that time. In todays world I would almost rather buy a new ST13, or a Harley , or a Goldwing rather than a BMW, Bring More Wampum machine. When they are running they are great, but when they are broke down it is terribly expensive particularly if you have to travel 500 - 1000 miles to get to a dealer and then wait for parts to come from the Fatherland. Our NT's are much more dependable than any of the BMW bikes on the market. All that said my friend Joe in TN has a K1600 GTL that has been good to him once he got the bugs out of it, and the handling is out of this world..

Now if you hit the big lottery for multiple millions by all means go out and buy a couple of them, and a BMW mechanic to travel with you along with a support truck full of spares, or a couple of backup BMW's.

Just my two cents worth of thought. best .
dealer support is a toss up between Harley and Honda both can be found most any place, also a lot of non dealership independent shops shops

Eldon

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I think BMW moved the clutch and transmission in the new RT to the front of the case which should ease maintenance. Not sure about the durability of dry vs wet clutches. Some riders have reported a different feel (smoother but smaller friction zone) between the new and old clutches.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I think you may have been drawn into the "bigger is better" phenomenon. Sometimes, maybe, but IMHO, not always.

I would be most interested in a quality SOLO mid-size touring bike of 500 to 750 cc with long distance comfort, weather protection, and storage.

Since I have long since lost the desire to cruise at 100+ mph speeds, a small to mid-size tourer might be very interesting indeed. Lightweight and agile. But, especially if it utilizes the low rpm, long stroke Honda engines which produces such fantastic fuel economy.

An interesting dream, but not likely to be produced with $4.00 gas. Too little demand from those like me. Plus, no one would likely spend more for a high end, well equipped smaller machine.
This sounds an awful like the way I describe my NT. (Just sayin')

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
That makes two of us, Yoda.

And, yes, that does describe the NT. But Honda doesn't make the NT any more. I may wear out my NT before I'm 90 and if I do, I'll be looking for another bike.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Bob, I'm going to go as far as I can on the NT. I've also thought about warehousing a low mileage one until this one wears out, but I don't know if I could slip that by Joanne (as wonderful as she is!). :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My brother loves his beemer (2014 GS). But, he also admits that when the service contract runs out he will buy a new one. He only has about 20k on his and no issues at all.

Clutches on inline shaft bikes are a pain to replace. On the Guzzi's they are designed to be a fairly simple task, but, still involves removing the rear swingarm and transmission. A one day job, even for me. Usually a bit longer cause I'll do other stuff while in there, like changing some bearings and seals. I have only had to "crab" my bike once, and that was just because I wanted to stop an oil drip.

Yep, cross mounted engines have easier clutch jobs, but, how long and how much does it cost to adjust the valves on the NT? ;) On the Guzzi it takes about 20min. Same with anything to do with carbs/fuel injection. My clutch is starting to show signs it needs to be replaced, but, part of it is because I overheated it badly a couple times (slipping clutch on hot day in traffic). It has 72k miles on it.

And, when was the last time you had to change a clutch? Unless you torture them, even dry clutches tend to go at least 50k, if not 100k.

So, yeah, clutch jobs are a bit more expensive, but, more than offset by the ease of other jobs that have to be done more often.

For a beemer? If you don't work on it yourself then I'd not own one without a maintenance contract (and even then they are made to be difficult for the avg person to work on).

bicyclist

Other repairs - Fuel Strip (20741 miles) under warranty, Brake Line Recall (20741 miles) under warranty, Fuel Pump Recall (50010 miles).

Fatal issues - I have had 4 failures that stranded me.

1) Ignition switch had to be replaced at 25956 miles. $294.61 (luckily at home, so I trailered to dealer)
2) EWS Ring while in Erie PA. Had to call tow truck, but after the bike cooled it started and I rode to repair. Repaired under warranty.
3) Final Drive while in Brevard NC at 36169 miles. Out of warranty, BMW helped cover cost. I paid $900. Plus an all day towing experience with AAA, family and friends to get home.
4) Fuel Pump Controller failed at 49997 miles in Brevard NC (What is it with Brevard?). UHaul and Gas $400, New Controller $150. Yes I have AAA but I only have 100 mile coverage so it was AAA to Asheville, hotel till tuesday, or $600 is mileage overage to home. UHaul was just so much quicker and no missed work.
That sort of owner experience is not atypical and is unacceptable to me, which is why I got rid of my BMW. All of the things mentioned are well known and documented problems. Having 4 failures that stranded him in 50,000 miles is outrageous for a bike which costs as much as a BMW.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I agree that four failures that leave you by the side of the road in 50K miles is totally unacceptable.

But, the R1100-R1200RTs still fit me better than anything else I've ever sat on. Love those ergonomics!

skiper

Some People Would Rather Go Over The Niagra Falls than Pay RT Maintenance Bills .. but they would be happier going with the flow -- Go to a GO-GO and GO GO GO and Ride and Ride til the Sun Comes Up > just Tap Tap Tap til you be OUT ,, then Smile Awhile ,, Do it Again Right Away .. All We Have Is Now -- There's Nothing Else To Own .. :^)

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I had a 1957 R-50. It was at the time the penultimate bike. Were I to win the lottery and had millions in disposable income, the last choice for me would be a BMW--car or motorcycle. If I were to want a larger bike in terms of displacement (am perfectly happy with 700cc) it would be a Triumph like Dan (VzShadow) owns or Yamaha FJ. BMW has chosen to rest on its past reputation offering the consumer a product with planned obsolescence of four years because they can get away with it. Sure, there is the "Oh Wowie Factor" when one owns a Bimmer, but in my view, flushing dollars down a toilet just so one can say they belong to this exclusive club, really eludes me.

Bike
ST1300,R1200RT
I think BMW has been very innovative and willing to update their machines every few years while listening to their customers needs. The 2014, R1200Rt demonstrates that and it is a very well engineered and executed bike. I ride the 08 model and had no problems after 40K miles and never spend $4000/year for maintenance. I also down sized ST1300 to 2010 Honda NT700 ABS. The bikes are within 25 lbs of each other, so handling in garage is identical. The bikes handle differently on highways/curves, but both have engine buzz/vibration (Honda 4.8-5.2K, BMW below 2.5K RPM range). The frequency of required service for BMW is similar to Honda and hourly rate is within $5/hour in my area. After looking at the new FJR 1300, I have to congratulate Yamaha on closing the gap between European bikes if only they were priced at the NT level.

Top Bottom