4th Nat'l NT Rally-Jul 9-12, 2014 - Spearfish, SD

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
+1 to what Joe said! It would have to be more fun than what I've been doing! Enjoy yourselves and post some pictures, please.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
So you guys are sitting in your lawn/camp chairs sipping on a cold drink of your choice (hopefully it is not stove fuel) And I am sitting in a dental chair sucking on a High Volume Saliva Ejector. Great. Good Grief. Life is not fair.:doh1::biggrin:

Enjoy yourselves and have a good time. Don't forget to ride safe.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Mellow, Frosty and I made it to Cody. We will get on the ST forum later and write thankyou posts but would you please thank Dan and George for us on a job well done. They both were great! Had a great time and met lots of good folk. Gonna go back next year and socialize more than ride. Off to Nat. Winchester show tomarrow and then Yellowstone. Having fun, wish you were here.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
So you guys are sitting in your lawn/camp chairs sipping on a cold drink of your choice (hopefully it is not stove fuel) And I am sitting in a dental chair sucking on a High Volume Saliva Ejector. Great. Good Grief. Life is not fair.:doh1::biggrin:

Enjoy yourselves and have a good time. Don't forget to ride safe.
Thanks! We are riding very safe and have had no close calls so far. Tomarrow we face the 5000 buffalo in Yellowstone. What could go wrong?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
+1 to what Joe said! It would have to be more fun than what I've been doing! Enjoy yourselves and post some pictures, please.
I will post my plcs on photobucket later. Will look for other pics on ST forum, too. We missed you all that couldn't make it.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
BTW, you MAY hear wild allegations that I lost about everything in my kit at one time or another. I will plead "Plausible Deniability" to all of them! These allegations include, but are not limited to, my tablet, Uclear helmet bug, and a rather large sum of stashed cash, and my notebook where I write down interesting thigs I hear. Rest assured everything is where I ...er...found it and well stored at this time. !

Bike
2010 NT700, 83 CX650
Got back today about 630p...great ride back through So Dak yesterday taking 34 and 212, and a comfortable ride through light rain most of the way back through Minnesota today. The Devils Tower ride is a highlight...fun to ride with like-minded riders and enjoyed chatting with most of you at the campground. Great trip!

Got to "meet" some locals yesterday at a pulloff on the west side of the Missouri River yesterday on 212. There are several picnic shelters, but ironically the one I chose had no picnic tables.....The pulloff was a little strange..a one lane blacktop that lead to the edge of the river, and a grassy area to the right that served as a parking area of sorts. I pulled off, and parked the bike on the blacktop pointing towards, grabbed my water and phone, and a map. I walked under the shelter to get out of the sun, and about two minutes into my break, I heard a car approaching, then heard a truck honking and saw an old Lincoln , with bad shocks and covered from wheels to rooftop in red dust and dirt, come careening off the high way and turn onto the blacktop where the Pooch was parked, with my helmet and jacket resting on the seat. In the car, with the windows down were three revellers, laughing and yelling at the offending truck that he;d cut off. Number One, the driver, turned off the blacktop and bounced into the grassy parking area, gently hitting the fence marking the boundary. At first I thought they were looking for a place to fish, but as they got out of the car, it was apparent they were simply looking for a place to drink , other than in just the car. Number 2, riding shotgun, opened his door and wrestled with a styrofoam icechest. I was gathering up my stuff and headed back to the Pooch, when he called out to me, thinking I was someone he knew, and cajoled on getting a new bike. Number Three, seated in the back seat, appeared to be the most sober of the three, and realized that there was no where to sit. His comments to Number Two went unheeded as Two lurched towards me and the bike with his arms holding the icechest like flight attendants advise us to use seat cushions in the event of a water landing. About this time, Number Two seemed to realize he didnt know me, and his ramblings quickly devolved into comparisons of my bike with his Road King at home....Number Three finally got his attention regarding the plight of there being no place to sit, and apparently focused the three on their quest to find a restful drinking spot. Number One got the Lincoln started, and after revving the tired V8 repeatedly, found the shift lever and managed to back out of the spot. My hackles rose as they slowly rode past, glaring and presumably weighing options, and I admit , when I got turned around and outta there, I didnt stop for anything but gas until I was clear of the Cheyenne River Valley.

Lesson learned....just like you never sit with your back to the door in a bar you dont know, dont park the bike if you cant leave without turning around.....

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Quite an experience, Jon.
I was offered a pull on a jug with a clear liquid in it at a very rural rest spot in TN by a local character. May have been the same car.

I'm about 50 miles W of Chicago headed for SW MI to see my highschool buddy and then MIairhead. Dodged most of the copious rain so far. Then heading north and across the Mackinaw bridge then west to home.

Bike
2010 NT700, 83 CX650
Glad you were able to dodge most of the rain, Jim. I thought of you when I saw the radar images yesterday morning of Iowa and Illinois. Enjoy the anniversary party and your ride through the UP. And watch for the old Lincoln at the rest stops!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Quite the story. Makes me sad and angry. Most of my stories like that are not as bad. I meet more good people than what ever they were.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Frosty and I are in Three forks MT. Home tomarrow..yellowstone is still there, until the next volcanic event. Got to meet the official Browning factory historian today. Pretty cool..:

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
We made it home safe and sound (for us). Water vests came in handy on the last lap but lucky cloud cover helped keep the heat at bay.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Glad you did too, my friend....it was great riding and talking with you....care package being prepared....be patient and Santa will arrive....!

Glad you and Joe made it safely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom