4th Nat'l NT Rally-Jul 9-12, 2014 - Spearfish, SD

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
John, I'd be delighted to have you drop by. Keep me posted on when you are coming and I'll tell you which town to go to.
Will do, Phil. This will be my first long trip on the FJR. I am planning on about a 3000 mile round trip - DFW north to Spearfish, then west to Wyoming and south to New Mexico, then home.

I have not been riding for 10 days now. I lost my footing on a downhill right turn-stop and dropped the bike (650 lbs) on my right ankle. Boots fortunately took most of the shock (ATGATT!). Good news is that I now know that I can pick up a 650 lb. motorcycle.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
In all the drops I've had, both on my Connies and my NT, I've never gotten an appendage under the motorcycle. That's always kinda' surprised me, as clumsy as I am. Hope the ankle heals quickly.

BTW, any damage to the bike?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just to be clear to other folk reading this who are not familiar with this campground, you need a special code to get into the showers and this campground is normally expensive and very nice, and has a high class of folk.....your grand daughter is safer there than most places in America. Or to put it another way, of all the things I worry about in life, the least would be taking a loved one to this campground.....and I am paranoid.

After some deliberation versus, Camping / motel and a long serious discusion with my Grand Daughter and her Father & checking accommodation availibility We have reserved accomodations at Bell's from 9 - 12 July. I had looked forward to camping, BUT for security reasons it was decided it would be better to not to have to pull guard duty while Grand daughter was in shower, and leaving her alone when I would be doing same etc. I would trust our own people but you just never know in a public campground where trouble might come from and I will use whatever means is required for her protection.

Eldon

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/CoyoteChris303/library/Spearfish2012
Anybody have a link to some past NT rally pictures for the first timers. This will give them an idea of what to expect. All mine are on my computer instead of a picture host site.

PS. Again those that go this coming year, please don't segregate your self from the ST guys. We are are all ST (Sport Touring) riders and our NT is just a smaller scale version of the ST1300. Bike types don't matter. Last year I rode my Wee650. If I can make it this year (some riding conflicts) who knows I might just ride my DR650.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
The canyon cages protected the right side of the bike. On the other hand, I was in a parking lot practicing low speed turns and I dropped it on left side also. It's a little dinged from that.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
John,

Those are just beauty marks, they will give it some special character. More power to you being able to get it up by yourself!

Eldon

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I HATE that when that happens....I have noted that as I age my balance isn't what it was in the last century...I try to be extra careful but doo doo happens....glad nothing serious was broke....

Will do, Phil. This will be my first long trip on the FJR. I am planning on about a 3000 mile round trip - DFW north to Spearfish, then west to Wyoming and south to New Mexico, then home.

I have not been riding for 10 days now. I lost my footing on a downhill right turn-stop and dropped the bike (650 lbs) on my right ankle. Boots fortunately took most of the shock (ATGATT!). Good news is that I now know that I can pick up a 650 lb. motorcycle.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
**** ATTENTION ****

I can't make the even this year so.....

The Dan

from ST-Owners will be the master of ceremonies.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
That's too bad Rick. If you don't get someone to ferry it over let me know and I'll have you ship it to Dan. He has the NatSTOC banner as well and a trailer so has the extra room.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
At this point, I am planning to go to Spearfish. I have already told Rick I will bring the banner (I know, an awesome responsibility for a first time visitor :smile: ) if he can mail it to me.

Bike
At this moment I am not 100 % on whether I may have to drop out of Spearfish. I had some medical issues jump up out of nowhere Thursday and Friday . I am impatiently awaiting phone calls from two different medical facilities that my Primay Care doctor has referred me to; more immediately it is affecting my trip to Dayton Ohio for 27-29 June and reservations I have there. I can handle the disappointment ok myself but I am going to have to disappoint my Grand Daughter if I don't hear something , or IF I do hear and I do not like that at all. I will post accordingly once I know what is really going on.

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Bummer, Eldon! I thought about you this weekend. After I got to La Junta (12 miles from Rocky Ford), I stopped for dinner and decided I needed gas to be sure I got home. A car was pulling out of the gas station and I slowed down to be sure he was clearing the driveway. I put my feet down in case I needed to stop, but I didn't have to come to complete stop. So I just left them dangling and accelerated into the station. It was nearly dark and I didn't see the curb I kicked with my right foot.

I was pretty sure I'd broken it and my ankle the way it felt. I was able to get stopped without falling over and then realized that the station was out of gas! I sat there for a minute and decided I could get home OK. I made it to another station, got home to Rocky Ford, and then looked at my foot. No visible damage, but it's swollen so much I couldn't get my dress shoes on for church yesterday. It was a good thing I could still get my motorcycle boot on for church and the ride home. I've iced it and stayed off of it today.

I sure hope your health issues are manageable! Keep us posted.

Bike
2010 NT700 & 2014 Ural
Doesn't look to be that long a drive, so I'll be there.
I like to keep moving so not for the entire event, but I will be there.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Terry, It's a little better today. I haven't gone to the ER with it. Maybe I should. I'll be in Pueblo for the rest of the week for our regional annual church meeting. I guess I'd be better off having it checked before I go rather than after. If it's still hurting tomorrow, I'll probably go get it checked.

The foot is swollen more than the ankle. It was tight getting my foot into my sandal today when I went outside.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I'll have to take a rain check for Spearfish. I have a court date on the 9th. Hopefully, I can make it next year

Bike
UPDATE!!

I will be there , Medical issues look good, doctor wished me a good ride to S. Dakota!! Grand daughter 's being able to come is still a major question, not on her part but a family issue! I am keeping my reservation at Motel, ( Bell"s ) regardless. I may have a Retired drive buddy there for a day or two depending on his schedual, He lives about 15 miles out of Custer and near a small community called Pringle. He rids a new Triumph.my plan is o arrive at Bell's on 9 July.

Still not sure whether I will ride HD or NT

Eldon

Bike
Thanks Joe, I am not sure which bike I am riding, IF I am alone probably the NT, I my Pinon is with me probably the HD Ultra. They are both basicly serviced and ready to travel , just need to check tire pressures f and pull excess junk out of trunk!

Top Bottom