Should You Look Over Or Through A Windshield?

Heed what the MFG's say regarding their product.

Most of that is dictated by lawyers for liability purposes. Do you really read and follow every warning that comes with every product you buy????

Most of that is dictated by lawyers for liability purposes.

Yep, the Owners Manual for my old 1972 Ford LTD Convertible was only 32 pages... A 2010 Ford Flex Limited gets a DVD with over 400 pages just in the base "manual" not including the Navigation / Entertainment / Sync manual. There are more pages on child restraint warnings in the Flex "base" manual than the LTD manual had in total...

Do you really read and follow every warning that comes with every product you buy????

At 400+ pages for the base manual, plus a separate 300+ page manual for the Nav / Entertainment / Sync system the short answer is No... I only RTFM as a last resort... And then only if my wife doesn't get tired of my complaining and look it up first...

But as far as the windshield "over or through" discussion the "over" was recommended well before we let the lawyers dictate everything....

Geez, guys. Do you really think that those of us like to look through a windscreen are so stupid that we'll try to see through a strategically placed blob of bug guts? I do like to look through the screen, but I'm not so committed to that that I'll compromise my ability to see boulders on the road, or road gators, or boards, or dead skunks, or whatever.

I can see some distortion in the flip area of my CeeBailey, but it sure doesn't confuse me about where to point the bike or what I'm going to need to do to miss something on the road.

So, I'll keep doing what's comfortable and what seems safe to me. But I do thank you all for your concern.

I like looking over the shield.

However, do what works for you... If it gets too dirty, pull over and clean it. Some like it better in the rain than looking over.

Bottom line is do what works for you. Give them both a try and see which one you feel provides the most desirable riding experience.

LOL

As for bugs. When I was riding through Utah a few weeks ago I had the shield down so I was looking over it. I turned my head to look at something and a big yellow splat hit my faceshield. If not for turning my head it would have been dead center in my field of view.

So, should I not use a visor cause a bug splat could blind me? :) Yeah, just raise the visor. Just like I would lower the windshield if a bug splat made it not transparent anymore.

For those of you who look over a shield and ride with an open face helmet and glasses, what do you do if a bug splats on the glasses? I would guess that you just look through the other eye until you can pull off the road and clean them. So, what do you think I do if the same happens to a windsheild?

This is common sense folks, nothing more. You use your windshield the way you want and I'll use mine the way I want. And, if I am still alive in 20 years then I guess you were wrong :D

As much as I enjoy reading this, I'm gonna have to end this discussion once and for all...

Did you read any of the reviews? My favorite was Ronald: "After getting home frustrated with this thing, I snapped it in half and threw it in LE GARBAGE!!!" An honest product reviewer if there ever was one! And he even speaks French! :D

Did you read any of the reviews? My favorite was Ronald: "After getting home frustrated with this thing, I snapped it in half and threw it in LE GARBAGE!!!" An honest product reviewer if there ever was one! And he even speaks French! :D

I don't know what's funnier... the fact that people bought that thing (which looks like a gag gift or something), or the fact that people bought it, used it, THEN discovered that it was junk, and then reviewed it as junk... I mean really, you're going to use your hand to manually wipe your windshield when:
a. you're on a bike, which requires a certain amount of concentration to begin with
b. you're on a bike, when you should keep your hands on the grips as much as possible
c. you would only need that thing in the worst of weather conditions, which increases the importance of a and b

I don't know what's funnier... the fact that people bought that thing (which looks like a gag gift or something), or the fact that people bought it, used it, THEN discovered that it was junk, and then reviewed it as junk...

Just more proof the old saying "There is a sucker born every minute." is till true...

The only "wiper" I want on my bikes is a piece of chamois sewn on my glove's left index finger to wipe my visor. Good gloves used to come with this "feature" standard but I haven't seen it for awhile...

Rider Wearhouse's Elkskin Ropers (and maybe some others, for all I know) come with a strip of windshield wiper-like rubber sewn onto the left thumb (not the left index finger like I first posted). Works pretty good for some bugs.

Last edited:
Rider Wearhouse's Elkskin Ropers (and maybe some others, for all I know) come with a strip of windshield wiper-like rubber sewn onto the left thumb (not the left index finger like I said). Works pretty good for some bugs.

Held Steve touring gloves have this. So do the Held Warm&Dry gloves but I find I'd rather wear the Steves in almost any weather.

As for the windshield thing, I'm not getting involved. People can do what they like, and I don't think anyone here lacks sense. The NT just doesn't attract fools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drama drama... in the future, actually.. give me a sec... I'm going to remove the drama... be right back.

LOL

For those of you who look over a shield and ride with an open face helmet and glasses, what do you do if a bug splats on the glasses? I would guess that you just look through the other eye until you can pull off the road and clean them. So, what do you think I do if the same happens to a windsheild?

:D

I look over my windshield. I also have a face shield on my helmet. The bugs that do not splat on the windshield are however carried over my head with the wind so I get almost no bug splats on the face shield. I had a 7 hour ride over the weekend and my windshield was a mess. I had one small splat on my face shield and I was looking over the windshield the whole time.

The bugs that do not splat on the windshield are however carried over my head with the wind so I get almost no bug splats on the face shield.

Well that's a definite plus for the NT over the FJR1300. It sure seems that the FJR windshield directs most of the bugs right at the faceshield :(

It's somewhat better if I keep the windshield all the way up but then I get buffeting and no airflow.

Ken

If is interesting. Yesterday I rode 500 miles looking over the shield. At about the midpoint I had to stop and clean my visor cause there were so many bug splats on it. Fwiw, I had the shield up so I was just barely looking over it too. ;)

The windshield looks pretty bad too, but I can still see through it :)

Back
Top Bottom