“Come on, Decepticon punk!”

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The best AFN Radio (armed forces network) was "Gun Smoke." Loved that radio program in the early 60's. Then there was "Music in the Air" After that it was time for bed.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
One of the things I like about this forum is you guys make me feel younger.
Young is relative though.

Arknt

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Sorry to hear that you were born about a generation too late Bruce.
My ex-brother-in-law told some fantastic stories of what he did as a kid. Also, all the Tonka toys were fantastic and made of all metal.

I do not envy missing the Vietnam War. I was a Senior in High School when Desert Strom started. I was worried about being drafted.

I was a kid in the 1980s. It was all about robots. I was into transformers from the start.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Me like Japanese toys better...1600 women shoot archery on their coming of age day.
1673929695897.png

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My ex-brother-in-law told some fantastic stories of what he did as a kid. Also, all the Tonka toys were fantastic and made of all metal.

I do not envy missing the Vietnam War. I was a Senior in High School when Desert Strom started. I was worried about being drafted.

I was a kid in the 1980s. It was all about robots. I was into transformers from the start.

The only transformer I was aware of when I was a kid was the one that powered my Lionel electric train.

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V
The only transformer I was aware of when I was a kid was the one that powered my Lionel electric train.

Mike
YES!! You could run a wire from one connection to the other, and it would glow and then POOF! it was gone. As much fun as the train. Did yours have a place to add 3 In 1 oil so the smoke stack would smoke?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Did yours have a place to add 3 In 1 oil so the smoke stack would smoke?
What you didn't use the Lionel Authentic Smoke? :eek: It was only $1.00 a bottle for about an ounce. Versus 3 in 1 oil at 50 cents a can that was the equivalent of 8 bottles of Smoke.:rolleyes:

Remember this:
No, but it might have been really popular in the barracks I lived in back in 1972....🤣 When I was younger I had this helicopter:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Me like Japanese toys better...1600 women shoot archery on their coming of age day.
1673929695897.png
Transformers is a Japanese toy. Original developed by Takara in Japan. They sold the North American rights to Hasbro that started selling them in the US in 1984. Hasbro and Takara still work closely together in the design of new Transformers. The Takara Transformers are only sold in Japan and are much sought after by collectors in the US.
My son has been collecting Transformers since he got his first one when he was four. His apartment is filled with them and he also has a 10x20 storage unit filled to the brim. I thought his interest (obsession) would have dimmed over time but after 35 years it is still going strong.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
YES!! You could run a wire from one connection to the other, and it would glow and then POOF! it was gone. As much fun as the train. Did yours have a place to add 3 In 1 oil so the smoke stack would smoke?
I don't recall adding oil, but I do recall the Lionel Smoke Tablets and the litany of horrors that befell your train set if you used anything but the Genuine Lionel Product

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I got an American Flyer S-gauge model train for Christmas the year I was 6 (1949). I liked American Flyer because there wasn't a 3rd rail in the middle of the track, and you could cram more layout into the same space. It made smoke and I don't think Lionel did until later. I don't remember ever seeing the Whirleybird, and I never had one of the Vertibirds...probably because I was 39 when they came out and my son was 17.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Remember this:

I wanted something like this back in the late 70s and early 80s. Years later, my best friend from middle school had one. He would not allow me to play with it.

I also remember browsing the Sears Catalog when I was at my grandparent's home before my grandmother's passing almost 40 years ago.

Top Bottom