12th Nat'l NT Rally - Jun 22-25, 2022 - Spearfish, SD

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
1069 in 14hrs 15mins.

Yes, it is a pretty amazing machine, great handling, great range, great tech, great weather protection, pretty much great everything.. my only gripe is the speedometer is off by 5mph but only my Yamahas have been close to accurate. I look at the GPS a lot to see actual mph.
Impressive. A 75 mph average.
Most motorcycles can do that but the rider makes it happen.
That's 50% higher than my average speed.
Wow - just Wow.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Impressive. A 75 mph average.
Most motorcycles can do that but the rider makes it happen.
That's 50% higher than my average speed.
Wow - just Wow.
Lots of high speed limits along the way and when I stop, I don't stop for long... camelbak for water and bananas / nuts / granola bars for food. Not to mention I was on a luxury barge.. lol

16 hrs on the Tracer but had to stop a few more times for gas.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Lots of high speed limits along the way and when I stop, I don't stop for long... camelbak for water and bananas / nuts / granola bars for food. Not to mention I was on a luxury barge.. lol

16 hrs on the Tracer but had to stop a few more times for gas.
I usually find that my trip average speed is about 10 mph lower than my highway traveling speed. Going through towns, gas stops, pee stops, and being old all factor into trip averages. Avoiding interstate highways is a huge factor in my "crawl speed" average. Interstate riding is more fatiguing than crossing SD on Hwy 212. Heat takes it's toll too.

I understand the need to get from point A to point B in X amount of time. I just plan my trips so I don't have to do that because motorcycling is supposed to be fun. "Road burns" just aren't that much fun to me. Sometimes In wish otherwise.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I usually find that my trip average speed is about 10 mph lower than my highway traveling speed. Going through towns, gas stops, pee stops, and being old all factor into trip averages. Avoiding interstate highways is a huge factor in my "crawl speed" average. Interstate riding is more fatiguing than crossing SD on Hwy 212. Heat takes it's toll too.

I understand the need to get from point A to point B in X amount of time. I just plan my trips so I don't have to do that because motorcycling is supposed to be fun. "Road burns" just aren't that much fun to me. Sometimes In wish otherwise.
Yeah, having to be at work on Monday tends to mess up my plans somewhat and I want to spend as much time as I can with the crazies that show up lol... When I retire I will definitely keep my trips at more comfortable 600 mile days.

It didn't even get hot til I hit the Kansas turnpike.. .it was like a switch went on.. .83 to 99 in the blink of an eye.. then climbed to 110... back to 103 in OK.. and a chilly 99 in Texas... funny how 99 can actually feel good LOL..

I never felt bad but keeping water that can be sipped slowly makes a ton of a difference... I don't like wearing a camelbak though, so may find a way to just hang the bladder on the sides or offset on my camping gear.. when I wear it it's like having a backrest but you don't want one... That made my knees hurt because I had to sit more forward than I like.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Back home today after 400 miles from Challis chasing Lewis and Clark through Idaho.....
a idaho.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I

I am with you. 250-300 mile days are fine on two lane highways. We did 400 today, 200 on I90. 92 was the high temp. Not ideal but we are home safe and sound (for me). Its all about the journy.
Work is a four letter word that ends in K. Much rather stop and smell the flowers along the way....or tanks that have fought in Bastogne.
IMG_20220626_162329498_copy_614x460.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Many of the placards would show prodution numbers for various models
a brit.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
You are looking at the main US battle tank for the North Africa campaign. Really.
a battle tank.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Imagine if you will, a gun vault that houses very rare machine guns and old west guns and army weapons. All intact. And the musket that fired the first shot at Bunker Hill. The one owner of all these weapons and 450 vehicles knows this because the soldiers were told to not fire till they saw the whites of their eyes. The ONE soldier who couldnt hold his fire hit his mark but was court marshelled for not following orders. This is his musket.
a gun vault.jpg
a musket.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
One of the great mysteriess of WWII is what the heck is the "comb"?
It is on one and only one drawing but no blue prints...many factories put it on various vehicles...see link. I think it is an antenna tiedown.
a comb.jpg

Top Bottom