$18 a Quart Royal Purple motor oil... Worth it?

Bike
2010 NT700V
So at 4,500 miles I took the full synthetic plunge and paid about $50 for 3 quarts of Oil. Full synthetic is suppose to run cooler, adds more protection and ... more power. And since its a motorcycle with a wet-clutch you can't just buy $5 full synthetic. You need to buy the stuff that is for motorcycles. So Royal purple sells 10w 40 Max Cycle for $17.99 a quart.

And what does it do? How about noticibly less stutter at lower RPMs! Yep, Way less hunk a hunk a en en errrrrrr. As for the other stuff, I noticed it quieter and will assume I have more power. But more testing will be surely needed.

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/product-categories/motorcycle/#!max-cycle-motorcycle-engine-oil

Please post your experence with full synthetic motor cycle oils.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I use Rotalla Syn 5w40 on my bikes, around $20/gallon and never had any issues.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Synthetic is the way to go in most cases, Mobil 1 came standard in my last new Corvette, even as the "break in" oil. I changed over our new Taurus SHO to Ford's "house" branded synthetic blend at 1,000 miles, with twin turbos, and an itchy right foot, :D I want all the protection and cooling I can get! Both the NT and Wee were changed over to to synthetics at their first services. At the 1K service my new H-D will converted over to H-D's "house" branded Synthetic 3 oils as part of my 5 year service plan. The only things I don't use synthetics in are lawn equipment and older classic cars....

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Synthetic. $20 a gallon at Walmart. Its motorcycle and diesel truck rated for wet clutches. Since I ride in the winter I like the 5W on the lower end for quicker oil circulation at low temperatures. I think hands down after a lot of research that Rotella T6 is the best value out there in synthetic oils for motorcycles.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have been using Rotella t6 5w40 in the NT for the last year. Seems to work great in mine. I am going to try and make it to Spearfish this year and will probably be anal and change it again before I leave. I will try to grab a sample to send in to Blackstone when I do.

My DR650 is still very new, so I ran the regular (non-synthetic) Rotella 15w40. When it gets more miles on it I will just use the Rotella T6 synthetic so I can use the same oil in all three vehicles. Rotella T6 works great in turbo subaru motors too.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Warren, does that Rotella 5-40 have the "Energy Conserving" label that our Honda Owners Manual says we should not use? I found that most weights that started with 5 did. Not sure why. The Rotella oil sounds like the one I would want use next time, It is pretty cool when I leave for my commute at 5:45 AM and I agree with you about using 5 weight, should I trust the owners manual?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Rotella T6 is not an energy conserving oil which is one of the reasons it has the JASO-MA motorcycle certification on it. You can use it without the worry of clutch slippage.

Last edited:

docta

No.

Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under control.

TW

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I can't imagine any oil being worth $18/quart. $18/gallon is more like it.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I can't imagine any oil being worth $18/quart. $18/gallon is more like it.
Do the math on what printer cartridge inks costs per gallon if you want a real shock! :D

Paul,

What does Subaru recommend for the WRX models dino or synthetic oil? Ford specifies their synthetic blend for the SHO since it has twin turbos that generate a lot of heat....especially the way I drive it when my wife lets me...:D

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Do the math on what printer cartridge inks costs per gallon if you want a real shock! :D

Paul,

What does Subaru recommend for the WRX models dino or synthetic oil? Ford specifies their synthetic blend for the SHO since it has twin turbos that generate a lot of heat....especially the way I drive it when my wife lets me...:D

I know this is a motorcycle forum, sorry to digress......... I don't have an WRX, but have a modified subaru Forester XT which has 2.5 liter turbo engine. I believe the owners manual doesn't specify synthetic, but recommends oil intervals half that of the normally aspirated models. I was all for long oil intervals on my old reliable-easy-on-oil corolla, but I have been doing 3500-4000 mile OCI using Rotella T6 on the subaru. It might be overkill, but I have piece of mind. The oil is shared with the turbo and the oil gets beat up pretty bad. BITOG forum has lots of positive used oil analysis using Rotella T6 in Turbo motors.

I figure if it can stand up to the heat of my turbo subaru it should have no problem in the motorcycles. It also is JASO approved for wet clutches. I think it shifts better than when I had Honda GN4, but it could also be that the motor and transmission are finally fully broke-in.

taldric

Rottella T6 5w-40 here as well. Just did my second oil change. When I drained that first batch of T6 oil out my bike had 8,400 miles on the oil. While it came out darker then the new stuff, it still was tansparent and looked pretty good.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
My local Walmart was out of the T6 last time, prompting my switch. FWIW, I have heard that they are making formula changes, however, and that they may slide toward the energy conserving side of the scale. I'll have to have a close read next time I see it.
Some ST folks are also using Delo400 @$12/Gal.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I used Rotella T-6 in the Ninja--which for a 250 was a really high performing engine. I put 12,000 miles on it with no problems. The NT runs great on T-6 and the Service Manager at Honda feels that it is fine--in fact, he uses the stuff in all his vehicles.

elizilla

Rotella T dino oil was $12.99/gallon at Tractor Supply Co, the last two times I was in there. Dunno if that's a regular price or a frequent sale.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Quiz time.

I want my motorcycle engine to last 200,000 miles. Assuming I use the proper grade of oil, which is more important:
a. Change the oil at the manufacturers specified mileage/time interval or,
b. Use the proper brand or,
c. Use synthetic only or,
d. None of the above, Mellow recommended using milk in Hondas in another thread:D

I'd say "a". I think using even the best oil for longer than the specified mileage/time is going to cause more wear and damage than religiously replacing the cheapest oil at the correct mileage/time. And all this effort to prevent wear & tear is for what if you start your cold engine & immediately race it off?

1fastbob

I wouldn't use purple oil if it were free. 5w40 Rotella in the blue jug for me.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Quiz time.

I want my motorcycle engine to last 200,000 miles. Assuming I use the proper grade of oil, which is more important:
a. Change the oil at the manufacturers specified mileage/time interval or,
b. Use the proper brand or,
c. Use synthetic only or,
d. None of the above, Mellow recommended using milk in Hondas in another thread:D

I'd say "a". I think using even the best oil for longer than the specified mileage/time is going to cause more wear and damage than religiously replacing the cheapest oil at the correct mileage/time. And all this effort to prevent wear & tear is for what if you start your cold engine & immediately race it off?
Why not synthetic changed at the Mfg interval?

Top Bottom