$18 a Quart Royal Purple motor oil... Worth it?

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Why not synthetic changed at the Mfg interval?
I'd buy your used motorcycle.

IMO, if you told me you use synthetic and go 2X the mfg interval miles between changes, and your neighbor is selling the exact same motorcycle but used SuperTech Cheapo oil, but changed his at the mfg interval, I'd buy your neighbors motorcycle.

Have you ever looked at a used car/motorcycle and the seller has fresh oil in it, but has no idea when it should be changed next? Doesn't give you a warm fuzzy that it's been done other than have new oil in it to sell it.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
A mechanic friend once told me many years ago "oil is cheap"

I change my oil, as specified by the manufacturer, or earlier.

I have been changing the oil is my daughters cars twice as often as recommended.

It is much cheaper to change oil than to pay to have a motor rebuilt.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Quiz time.

I want my motorcycle engine to last 200,000 miles. Assuming I use the proper grade of oil, which is more important:
a. Change the oil at the manufacturers specified mileage/time interval or,
b. Use the proper brand or,
c. Use synthetic only or,
d. None of the above, Mellow recommended using milk in Hondas in another thread:D

I'd say "a". I think using even the best oil for longer than the specified mileage/time is going to cause more wear and damage than religiously replacing the cheapest oil at the correct mileage/time. And all this effort to prevent wear & tear is for what if you start your cold engine & immediately race it off?
NO!!!!! I said, 'it would probably work'... LOL

Please do not use milk.. well, unless it's soy milk which tastes like synthetic oil.

taldric

Use inkjet printer ink. You will have to purchase huge quantities of the little cartridges and carefully empty each one. Because it is so expensive it must be better! At the very least it will be better than Mellow's recommendation of soy milk! ;-)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I'd buy your used motorcycle.

IMO, if you told me you use synthetic and go 2X the mfg interval miles between changes, and your neighbor is selling the exact same motorcycle but used SuperTech Cheapo oil, but changed his at the mfg interval, I'd buy your neighbors motorcycle.

Have you ever looked at a used car/motorcycle and the seller has fresh oil in it, but has no idea when it should be changed next? Doesn't give you a warm fuzzy that it's been done other than have new oil in it to sell it.
The conditions one rides in and how one rides are the other factors to consider. I primarily commute in stop and go traffic on surface streets. My NT sees a lot of shifting and clutch action. I also commute in the summer when it is 100+ and in the winter when it is well below freezing. I use 5w40 synthetic and change it every 4-5K.

Bike
choosing
$18 a Quart Royal Purple motor oil... Worth it?

No.

Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under control.

TW
I agree. 18 dollars a quart is very expensive. You can get Amsoil, a quality product, for about 6 to 8 dollars. I have heard that Royal Purple is good stuff, but I don't think it is
three times better than Amsoil.

Joe

Bike
Silver NT700V
Like Warren, my bike sees a lot of commuter service. Because of that, and it is covered in the maintenace agreement i have, the dealer is changing the oil at every service interval, 4,000 miles instead of 8,000. Using regualr Honda lube but forsee no problems.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
My Honda dealer does the service and I do the oil and filter changes. The Service Manager is OK with me changing every 5000 miles and using Rotella T-6 with a K&N 204 filter. I did the same with my Ninja--same Service Manager.

Top Bottom