2009 DL650 Wee Strom

tawilke46

I went to GN Gonzales today for the first time in six years. GN was one of the largest Honda distributers in the U.S. for many years.
Someone had traded a Harley Street Glide and a 2009 DL650 for a Gold Wing.

Well the DL has 85 miles on it and looks brand new. Has crash bars and a skid plate installed and a aftermarket w/s.
They are asking $5,895 for it. I know they only gave the guy no more than $3500 on the trade.
I was thinking if I could get them to sell it for $5,000 it may be worth adding another bike to my garage.
Very tempting! What to you all think? Good deal or no?

Will take out for a test ride tomorrow!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I paid 7k for my ABS back in Nov 2009 brand new. Go for it. all they can do is say No. It is brand new with 85 miles. It is worth 5900 with that few miles. Is it ABS? Orange or silver?

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

The bike is silver. Non-ABS. The bike is in super shape as one would expect with essentially no miles on it. Heck, it isn't even broken in yet!
We shall see tomorrow!
May be in my garage tomorrow pm.

1TRAK

5K for a new Strom 650 would be a steal for certain. An NT for long travels and a Wee for everything else, Good Times.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Its only a good deal if you have a use for it otherwise its a waste of 5gs if it sits in your garage.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Did not make it over to GN today yet. Try again tomorrow. Still want to take it out for a test run to see what a Wee feels like. Can take a run down river road that has plenty of curves and straights.
I am past the fever stage now (fever was bad yesterday), so common sense is dictating I think about the purchase for a while. There are plenty of used bikes out there and there is no hurry.
Having said all that I am still interested in the bike.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

My guess he will be thinking closer to $8k to $9k. Could start at $7k and go up to $8k as a max.
But those other bids up to $6,400 were way off the mark.
This guy removed it from bidding. He may be giving up.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
This guy removed it from bidding. He may be giving up.
Or the conversation with the significant other goes like this: "I tried to sell it but no one offered me anything near what it was worth!" I've seen that several times on eBay...:rolleyes1:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Putting 5k in farkles on an 8k motorcycle is bound to lose you money when its time to sell it.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Oops! I messed up then. Guess I better keep the NT for a few more years.
I don't have 5 in it, but close.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Oops! I messed up then. Guess I better keep the NT for a few more years.
I don't have 5 in it, but close.
Just strip it down to stock before you sell... I sold enough farkles off of the NT to pay for the farkles I had added to the Tri Glide prior to delivery. Using "fuzzy" math that means the farkles didn't cost anything on the Tri Glide...and when I finally get around to selling the Wee "stuff" I stripped off it as well I'll be making a profit! :D :rofl1:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
+1... You'll NEVER get your farkle money back when you sell a bike w/farkles installed... A smart buyer will deal off the blue book value. You might come to some type of an agreement between seller/buyer about the accessories installed and their value but in my experience, best to de-farkle and sell at even 50% than sell the bike w/farkles and be lucky to recoup 10-25%.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

I have another dilemma with Suzuki bikes in general. And that is there are only two dealers in the area here that sell and warranty service Suzuki bikes. Unfortunately, they both have really bad reputations, and poor service records.
Realistically, the only motorcycle brands that have decent service departments are BMW of Baton Rouge, and Friendly Honda and Yamaha. Our BMW dealer probably being the better of the two. So naturally I tend favor those brands.
That Wee is still a very tempting buy, but getting more hesitant about getting it.
Wayne, do you think the Wee is reliable enough and easy enough to work on myself that this is really a non issue?
Cause it is obviously not in warranty anymore.

Top Bottom