2009 DL650 Wee Strom

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Wayne, do you think the Wee is reliable enough and easy enough to work on myself that this is really a non issue?
I think you should have no issues with handling normal tasks. The Service Manual is well written and very detailed, parts, and accessories, are readily available. Valve adjustments at every 24K mile are a bit more tricky, it uses shims, and will probably need a trip to the dealer. As for reliability the Wee has a reputation as good as the NT... And that was built with a much harsher life, and riding environment, than most NT's every experience. Unless dealers there are a lot different than here the Honda shop can service it, they service the used bikes they get in on trade....

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Wayne, do you think the Wee is reliable enough and easy enough to work on myself that this is really a non issue?
Cause it is obviously not in warranty anymore.
I do my own work on my 09 Wee. Valve clearance inspection are 14500 miles or 24000 Kms. I checked mine at 15k miles and all were in speck. I now have 22k miles on the Wee and have only put gas in it, changed the oil and cleaned, lubed the chain a few times, and I have added air to the tires, between maint intervals. I take mine off the pavement most of the time that I ride it, as I did today. See attached pictures. To check the valves, one needs to pull the radiator. If a valve need adjusting then the cam needs to come out. Shim under bucket. Scheduled maint is not difficult, just time consuming .Make sure you have the manual.

1TRAK

Here's a great site dedicated to the V (1000) and Wee (650) Strom. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php
These folks know these bikes better than the dealers, maybe even the mechanics.

Last fall I was rear ended waiting at an intersection on the Strom. I was ok but the bike was banged up a bit and after getting it home I noticed a squeek after turning the key on. When I took it to the dealer for estimates and repair they were unsure what the squeek was so I got on the VSRI site and inquired about it.
The administrator (Preload) told me what he believed the problem was, I ran it by the dealer and sure enough that was it.
http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,17016.0.html

If you check this site and ask around I believe you'll find the Wee to be a very reliable and truly great bike, I know mine has been. Good luck with your decision!

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
The wee is very easy to look after and as others have said the forums are very helpful too.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
that's pretty amazing. I hadn't heard of the STVA before and haven't been into that side of the Wee (yet). I think it's going to get a CCS, too, however, so I'll probably become acquainted with it in the near future.
What is a CCS?

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Well Wayne, Chuck and others. I actually got tacit approval from the significant other to buy the 2009 Wee.
Back to GN tomorrow to do the deal. No turning back now. Unless of course they have already sold it. But the door is already open for another bike! Heh, heh!
If the Wee gets a home in my garage I will be asking you guys questions on the farkles that are must haves vs nice to haves.
The bike already has crash bars, a skid plate, and highway pegs. Can't remember if it had a center stand or not. A center stand is one of the must haves.

prof98801

I bought a used 2009 DL650 Wee when my NT went down with the deer last year. I would have to rate the Wee slightly above the NT primarily because of the 80+ pound difference. Much easier to handle the lesser weight for me as I am only 5'8" and 150 pounds. I have done multiple day trips with the Wee with absolutely no problems. Have purchased soft saddlebags that work great and put on soft tail bags to increase carrying abilities. Also put on an exhaust protector for one side bag and a luggage protector for the other side. There are many farkles other than those and would be glad to give them to you.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Well guys here is the 650 Wee I bought this morning. Took it out on the River Road for a spin before signing the papers. What a hoot this bike is to ride on a curvy road! Falls into turn very easily. Feels light on it's feet and is quick! 50mph to 70mph happens very fast. Less vibration than the NT and believe it or not hardly any engine heat felt on my legs during my short 15 mile ride. I have to get used to having more bike up top and in front of me. It is taller than the NT but about 80 pounds lighter.
I like this bike! Actually my son is going to like this bike. Cause eventually I will have to part with it when we take it out to NorCal later this year. Brian will really enjoy this bike in the mountains around Redding.
The bike already has crash bars, skid plate and highway pegs installed.
Here is what the bike looks like:

I may look for another one for myself!

Last edited:

1TRAK

Congratulations Tim, the Wee is a superb bike! Sounds like you got a good deal with the most important guards already installed on it.

I've done 15000 miles on mine in the last year on tours, pavement, gravel, two tracks and track time, it's the first bike I've had that would do all that and do it very well.

Enjoy and Ride Safe!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
congrats Tim! I've always thought the wee looked like a great bike, and others here have spoken very positively of it. Hope you get to ride it a bunch before handing it off!!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
What???? I thought the Wee was for you. You might want to reconsider and keep it for yourself. Yesterday I did a 300 mile Saturday Morning ride with my 09 Wee and had a ball. It is a great bike for high speed highway running and then exploring some out of the way dirt roads. We have lots of them here in Colorado. Congrats on the new bike. Again you might want to reconsider giving it away and keep it for yourself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

I'm thinking! I'm thinking!
Wayne recommended not to ride it too much. I may end up giving Brian my NT!

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Yeah, Bob. I already have a K&N oil and air filter on order. As well as SW Motech center stand, Bags Connection tank bag, Bags Connection tail bag. Plan on ordering a SW Motech luggage rack, and expansion rack, PowerHub, Powerlet outlet for the handle bar, Cee Bailey 23" w/s, Kaoko throttle lock. May order the side case racks, adapters and side cases. Have not decided whether to do that or not. Could get by with the tank and tail bags and just add a 38 liter DrySpec D38 Dry Bag.
With Isaac coming into the Gulf, I may not be picking up the Wee till later in the week?
Depends on the storm track.
Got to go help my friend Richard go to Mandeville to adjust the tie up on the boats in case the storm comes this way.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Geez, Tim! If you do everything you're thinking about doing, it sounds to me as if you're going to keep the Wee and let your boy have the NT. That's OK if you do, but I probably wouldn't do that much on a bike I was going to give away.

1TRAK

Geez, Tim! If you do everything you're thinking about doing, it sounds to me as if you're going to keep the Wee and let your boy have the NT. That's OK if you do, but I probably wouldn't do that much on a bike I was going to give away.
My thoughts exactly Phil, sounds like yer busted Tim. :wink: Is there travel in that forecast?

Last edited by a moderator:

rut3556

>>I already have a K&N oil and air filter on order<<

I use this oil filter on my '09 Wee as well. Having the integral 17mm nut makes removal a breeze!

Top Bottom