2011-08-20 CO, Aurora - Colorado Maint Clinic

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
OK folks I am closing in on my 8000 mile maint. In another 200 miles I will have 7700 miles on the bike and it is time to change tires. Both wheels need to come off. I also need to do a Valve Check (the first) and the other maint that is required at 8k miles. This will be the first time I do any real work under the skin. I have removed all the Tupper wear before, just because. But now it is time for more than just plastic removal.

I am trying to time this for the latter part of next week or next weekend (18th Aug - 23 Aug.) for those that can?t get away during the week. Or?? What days would be good for anybody that wants to attend. This will be a learning process. I have done all my own work on my other bikes, so I don't anticipate any problems. Just the learning curve of the NT specifics. Please let me know as I really need to change the tires very soon. Don?t think I have another 500 miles left on them. Just a side note: I am going to get 250 miles out of this tank of gas. But I am pushing my luck, hoping I won?t be pushing my bike.:wink:

Please let me know if you plan on attending.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck,

I'd love to come, but I'm riding to Lincoln and back Monday and Tuesday and then leading a Belgian on a ride in the northern Rockies on Wednesday, and have a meeting all day in Cheyenne on Thursday. Next week is not the week for me. Sorry.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Hi Chuck,

The 19th, 20th, 21st or 22nd (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon) would work for me! Looking forward to it. If necessary I may be able to make Tuesday Aug 22 work.
Thanks!
Ken

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Hey Phil, what about Fri the 19th, or Sat the 20, or Mon the 22nd? You didn't list any activities for those dates. By the way, the Russell folks have charged my credit card but no seat yet. Should be any day now. (Phil has loaned me his spare stock seat while mine is visiting Shasta Lake for a major makeover and spa treatment -- I appreciate the loan tremendously!!)
Ken

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Hi Chuck,

The 19th, 20th, 21st or 22nd (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon) would work for me! Looking forward to it. If necessary I may be able to make Tuesday Aug 22 work.
Thanks!
Ken
If we don't get any more folks, Lets plan for the morning of Friday the 19th. When it is cool. I am having new rubber put on now. Got both wheels of her and they are at the shop getting the tires changed. Won't have that completed untill the end of this weekend. The lift sure makes it easer to do than sitting on the garage floor.

Deleted member 540

I would like to come up, but am working so the only time I have off is the weekend.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Hey Phil, what about Fri the 19th, or Sat the 20, or Mon the 22nd?

Ken, all of those are great dates, except for the fact that I have every other day for a week tied up with galivanting around. I've got to have some time to get some of my honey-does did and to get ready for Sunday the 21st. If it's on Saturday, I might be able to make it, but probably not.

I think that Russell charges your card when they build your seat. It seems like it usually takes about a week after the build date to get it back.

When the new seat gets to Ken, the old stocker gets to rejoin the Sisterhood of the Traveling Seat and awaits the next person who wants to keep riding while getting a custom saddle made. If you want to do the custom seat thing and want to make use of the traveling stock seat, PM me and I'll get back to you about arrangements.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Got both wheels of her and they are at the shop getting the tires changed. Won't have that completed untill the end of this weekend. The lift sure makes it easer to do than sitting on the garage floor.

I know your bike is very secure on the lift, but it sure looks precarious with nothing on the ground but the centerstand! What tires are you getting?

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I know your bike is very secure on the lift, but it sure looks precarious with nothing on the ground but the center-stand! What tires are you getting?
Phil if you look close the front forks/axle is also on a jack stand and the bike is tied down in the front. I have done the ST this way also. By doing it this way I remove the rear wheel first and then jack up the front and remove the front wheel with out having to remove the front fender. The Key is to make sure the bike is strapped down well. using the table lift I can remove the rear wheel with out having to remove the rear fender on the NT. As you can see in one of the pictures the drop down plate is removed from the lift.

I am putting Avon Storm IIs on the NT. Will have them back tomorrow afternoon mounted with 90 degree aluminum valve stems.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Will have them back tomorrow afternoon mounted with 90 degree aluminum valve stems.

The 90-degree valve stems are one of the great mostly-unmentioned farkles. They let you get air at any gas station with a pump (which is, in itself, increasingly rare).

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
OK folks it looks like the general consensuses is that Saturday the 20th Aug (next weekend) is when I will be probing into the innards of my NT for it first Valve Check. Come by in the morning. Will figure start time at 0900 hrs. (That?s 9 o?clock AM for you civilians :doh1:) kicking off with Breakfast (compliments of my wife, Sue) first and then diving into the NT. Bring your camera if you want to photo-document this. This is the first time I have been that deep into my NT, so if you have already preformed this procedure, please bring your knowledge and advice. Rick, make sure you make it so we can spar about Army vs Airfarce.:rofl1:

Please give me a rsvp so Sue knows how much Breakfast to make.

Address is: 18485 East Columbia Cr Aurora Colorado, 80013
Cell#720-262-6139 if you get lost.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Yes will be starting from scratch with the tupperware. Of coures I will have the wheels back on by then.

By the way, Real Soldiers don't go around humming. We sound off and know how to count past 4.
O.. thats right, your guys and gals don't know how to March or stay in-step. What I saw at Sheppard every morning, was the Civilian shuffle to and from school.:rofl1:

Last edited:

Deleted member 540

Count me in. Thanks for the invite. Is there something I can bring?

Bike
2010 NT700V
For those of us unfortunate enough to not be able to attend, I am asking in advance that EVERYONE who takes pictures AND videos post them so we can get a multi-faceted view.
Thanks

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Those lifts are great--worth not having to remove the rear mudguard. Mine has paid for itself many times over.

The Army Hymn does have words---as does the "Zoomie" hymn--Airborne All the Way!

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I plan to be there, with my camera. Lets hope I can take some decent pics. I've done maintenance on all my previous bikes, but none of them had all these lovely plastic panels covering everything up. As some of you already know, both the R series BMW's and the Valkyrie have their cylinder heads right out there. Makes checking valve clearance really easy.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I plan to be there, with my camera. Lets hope I can take some decent pics. I've done maintenance on all my previous bikes, but none of them had all these lovely plastic panels covering everything up. As some of you already know, both the R series BMW's and the Valkyrie have their cylinder heads right out there. Makes checking valve clearance really easy.

So does my ST. Easy after a few panels come off. The Wee was a pain in the elbow as not only the plastic and tank, but the radiator also. The KLR is a snap. When making adjustment on the ST and Wee the cams need to come out also. Shim under bucket.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm going to try to make it. One of my potential conflicts was a 1st birthday party for my only great-grandson, but we got that out of the way today.

I'll give you a definite yea or nay next week.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I know your bike is very secure on the lift, but it sure looks precarious with nothing on the ground but the centerstand! What tires are you getting?
You will be happy to note that the wheels, and exhaust system are back on the NT, with no major issues. I dremmeled out the little opening on the left rear foot peg holder so I could reach the top rear screw that holds the heat shield on the NT. Now the reassembly of the exhaust heat shield goes much easier. Can't wait until tomorrow to go scrub in the new tires up in the mountains. Think I will go up to Echo Lake on 103. The approach to MT Evans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom