2011-08-20 CO, Aurora - Colorado Maint Clinic

bicyclist

I ground out the right rear footpeg holder also. Makes it much easier to work on the bike.

I did a valve check today and posted some pics on the valve clearance how to. Still have more to post.

The bike has 10,750 miles on it and the valves were all in spec.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Don't forget about The Colorado Maintenance Clinic this Saturday. My NT is the patient and this will be the first time I have gone into her for a Valve Check. Come help turn wrenches, or just watch and learn what to do or not to do :rolleyes1: or just to meet other NT owners, or just to harass me .:tongue::eek:

I now have 4 maybe 5 (Phil?) for breakfast (09:00). Please reaffirm weather you will be coming or not, as Sue needs to know how much breakfast to make. All are invited. See you here

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Reaffirming - I will be there. Phil, should I bring your seat with me?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ken, Chuck, everyone else...I'm not going to make it. I've been gone for the last four days and there's way too much I need to get done here. Sorry it didn't work out. Tell Rick "Hi!" for me.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Great maint clinic, I believe that all of us learned something on Saturday. I still have to finish the 8k mile check list, but the valves were all in spec. All intake vales were on the tight side of .006 in and the all exhaust valves were on the tight side of .008 in. Did not have to adjust at this time. Will check again in another 8k miles. Will write up more and post some picture later. Thanks to everyone who came and lent a hand.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck,

I'm glad it went well. Sorry I couldn't be there. I'm waiting for the pix!

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Let me add my gratitude to Sue (Chuck's wife). She put on a great breakfast, a fine lunch, and a wonderful desert of a chocolate cake with whipped cream frosting with cherries imbedded in it! Yum! Even if you did not learn a thing at the clinic (an impossibility) you got very well fed. Only downside was that when I got on the scale at home, it read two pounds higher then when I left!

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
It is call a Black Forrest Cake. A German Delight. My wife, Sue is org from Southern Germany.

Last edited:

1TRAK

You will be happy to note that the wheels, and exhaust system are back on the NT, with no major issues. I dremmeled out the little opening on the left rear foot peg holder so I could reach the top rear screw that holds the heat shield on the NT. Now the reassembly of the exhaust heat shield goes much easier. Can't wait until tomorrow to go scrub in the new tires up in the mountains. Think I will go up to Echo Lake on 103. The approach to MT Evans.
I took that route from Idaho Springs up to Mt Evans in June. Rode like a Loon the whole way laughin and grinnin like a madman! Spectacular stretch of road. :D

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I took that route from Idaho Springs up to Mt Evans in June. Rode like a Loon the whole way laughin and grinnin like a madman! Spectacular stretch of road. :D
You need to do it from Morrison to Evergreen to Echo lake and then up to the top of MT. Evans. Then when you come down head to Idaho Springs. You will laugh and grin like 10 madmen and ride like a double Loon. Then if you want a repeat, ride up to Centeral City on the Centeral City parkway over to 119 Peak to Peak High-Way. It is then tasters choice with about Seven Canyons to choose along Peak to Peak. One or all of them. I come down Golden Gate Canyon. And I really like Hiway 7 ST.Vrain Canyon into Lyons, a lot when I do that loop. Ask Rick, he just road that route yesterday. Give me a heads up when you come out this way again.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Chuck has both sets of pix on his computer. I expect he will use them with his writeup.

1TRAK

You need to do it from Morrison to Evergreen to Echo lake and then up to the top of MT. Evans. Then when you come down head to Idaho Springs. You will laugh and grin like 10 madmen and ride like a double Loon. Then if you want a repeat, ride up to Centeral City on the Centeral City parkway over to 119 Peak to Peak High-Way. It is then tasters choice with about Seven Canyons to choose along Peak to Peak. One or all of them. I come down Golden Gate Canyon. And I really like Hiway 7 ST.Vrain Canyon into Lyons, a lot when I do that loop. Ask Rick, he just road that route yesterday. Give me a heads up when you come out this way again.
Thanks for the routes Chuck, I've enjoyed a couple of those but it would be great to have you show us some of the others. I'll give you a heads up a couple weeks in advance, maybe we could see if Phil could make it too. Provided of course he didn't have a wedding to attend. :):):)

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here is the most important picture, from the maint clinic. Ken is going to post some of his pictures also.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Thanks Chuck. Great pictures and helpful. When I "did" my valves at 8,000, I only bothered with the rear cylinder because doing the front was so much more difficult. since the rear was in specs, I convinced myself that it's a Honda and no problem. But now you given me pointers and courage to check both at just over 16,000. thanks.

Top Bottom