2011 NT700 ABS Price fair?

When I bought my 2016 CB500X new in 2019, the salesman was so happy to get it out the door that the price was $6000 all in. He said everyone went by it and said "not big enough". I sent him an email after riding it from CA to VA and he was floored. I find not listening to the pundits in the cycle magazines and making my own decision is best.
Amen! I still hear the not big enough from time to time.... after 130,000 miles, 48 states and one province, I just laugh....

Mike

BTW, as a point of clarification, the "not big enough" was referring to my motorcycle... get yer minds out of the gutter!

:rofl1:

Hey guys! Update.......My son went to examine and ultimately buy the NT yesterday. The only real issue is due to the bike sitting alot over the last 10 years in that the gas tank has some crud (illustrated in attached photo). Seems that it comes off pretty easily so looks like I have to remove the tank and give it a Vinegar bath or some sort or other treatment. I also suspect the fuel in it was bad. After the purchase my son proceeded on his 3 hour ride home and as he departed the pick up location the farther he traveled the more the power started to decrease. He said at one point he was feathering the throttle and the best he could muster was 40 MPH. He also noticed the bike appeared to be going through fuel quickly. After about 2 hours he needed fuel so stopped at a gas station and filled it up with fresh fuel and he said it was an entirely new bike. Got back on the interstate and hooked up with a sportbike rider and he said they were running about 105 MPH (In mexico?). Cody then changed his mind about the NT and said the bike rocks!

I suspect I need to pull the tank to clean it and maybe replace the fuel pump pickup screen/filter? Anybody got a link to a manual download?

Craig

Attachments

• Gas tank internal view.jpg
    Gas tank internal view.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 20
I can't tell from your pic whether the residue in the tank is rust or crud. If it's rust, the tank needs to come off and be cleaned along with the strainer. If it is just crud, a few tanks of fuel with Seafoam added may clean it up.

I can't tell from your pic whether the residue in the tank is rust or crud. If it's rust, the tank needs to come off and be cleaned along with the strainer. If it is just crud, a few tanks of fuel with Seafoam added may clean it up.

Might be worth a try Mike. My son said when he filled the tank with fresh fuel the stuff started to dissolve so maybe your right?

Craig

Your pic of the tank makes it look rough. From the pic I would want to clean it to prevent future issues but if it dissolves in fresh gas you may get by with less work.
Enjoy the ride.

Brad

Your pic of the tank makes it look rough. From the pic I would want to clean it to prevent future issues but if it dissolves in fresh gas you may get by with less work.
Enjoy the ride.

Brad
Here is a better photograph with flash. Does this look like rust or gum?

Craig

Attachments

• Gas tank internal view second tank.jpg
    Gas tank internal view second tank.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 21
Can't tell by pic if it is rust or gum but it looks like it needs to be cleaned out of the tank. If not it might be plugging up the fuel filter later.

Brad

Can't tell by pic if it is rust or gum but it looks like it needs to be cleaned out of the tank. If not it might be plugging up the fuel filter later.

Brad
Totally agree Brad. Just dont know if I should hit it with Seafoam or remove tank and Fill with Evapo-rust.

Craig

I would suggest filling tank to at least 3/4 full, add some seafoam (or Berryman's), slosh around, let sit a day or so.........then siphon all of the gas out (trying to get any in the bottom of the tank). Then refill with fresh gas.......maybe add some more Seafoam.........ride 25 miles, then siphon a small amount out for "observation"??

If you want to know what is in the tank you might securely attach a small rag to a rod long enough to reach inside the tank. Make a swab and rub a little rust/crud, bring the swab out for a closer look so you better know what you are dealing with.
I wouldn't rub it all over in there and loosen it all up so that it clogs the filter, just get a sample.

Brad

I agree with Brad, but it kinda looks like rust. If it's gum, Seafoam will likely dissolve it. It also looks like as the slope of the tank drops down the crud seems to dissipate. One thing that you can try is to see if you can gently swab some of the crud off on a q-tip or towel. Let it dry and see if it is attracted to a magnet. Rust (iron oxide) remains para-magnetic so if the particles are attracted to the magnet, at least you will know what you are dealing with.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom