2nd Nat'l NT Rally - Jul 12-15, 2012 - Spearfish, SD

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mellow, are there any name tags at the Rally?

OK. I didn't read all the way to the end of the thread before posting the above message. Now I've been trying to delete it by clicking "Delete" while editing the post. Then I tried to delete it by using moderation tools. No luck either way. I've lost my moderator status.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Very sorry to hear that Rick, I hope things get better for her. Don't worry, we'll have another Rally.. but that's not anywhere near as important so take care of family and we'll be thinking of you both.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am sorry also....I was looking forward to meeting you ...and hearing more Air Force stories....Best wishes for your family and we shall see you further down the road.
The Old Coyote

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Roster is about done....note to self....ask Silver Ranger how in the heck all those windmills we have in WA and OR work....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I have never done an 800 mile day on the NT.
Andy, I have done a couple of 800 mile days and a SS1K on the NT. Since I got the Russell in the fall of '10, those long rides have been much more comfortable.

I honestly think the NT is more comfortable for me than my Concours was, but since I've never ridden an ST or a Super Tenere (another ST, I guess), I can't shoot a guess about how they'd compare to the NT.

I look forward to seeing you in Spearfish!

taldric

I will be doing my first SS1K on my NT to get from home (Federal Way, WA) to Spearfish, SD. That's just under 1,200 miles. This will be my longest continuous ride. My longest to date was returning from the NT rally last year at 700 miles. But I'm looking forward to this challenge.

I will be leaving home Wednesday the 11th at about 3 AM and hope to arrive in Spearfish about 8 PM. I hope at least one of you will be there to sign my IronButt end letter!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tim, I'd be honored to sign your documentation. I hope to get there a bit before you -- some where between 2 and 3PM on Wednesday -- after doing a Bun Burner Gold from Fort Morgan to Spearfish through Limon, CO; Kansas City, Des Moines, Albert Lea, Mn., and Beulah, Wy.

Maybe we can sign each other's witness forms.

taldric

You're on, Phil! I'm assuming there is a good gas station with an electronic gas pump in Spearfish - something with a date/time/location on the receipt!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Your on, Phil! I'm assuming there is a good gas station with an electronic gas pump in Spearfish - something with a date/time/location on the receipt!
Yeah, Spearfish has many modern gas stations.. it's a tourist town so even though it's small there's a lot packed into a small area.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Andy, I have done a couple of 800 mile days and a SS1K on the NT. Since I got the Russell in the fall of '10, those long rides have been much more comfortable.

I honestly think the NT is more comfortable for me than my Concours was, but since I've never ridden an ST or a Super Tenere (another ST, I guess), I can't shoot a guess about how they'd compare to the NT.

I look forward to seeing you in Spearfish!
Wow....I cant imagine an 800 mile day.....If I had to do one I would choose my Connie as it has highway pegs...and lead filled Heli-bars...I find myself making little mistakes after a long day, which is for me 400-500 miles....
One thing that helps my skinny butt on long rides is a sheepskin cover on the seat....
Loading up the NT for Spearfish....tent, sleeping bag, airbed, ground tarp, freeze dried food....check!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Good news, it looks like the banner is being made and should be here the day before I leave so it will be at the rally....

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Cricky, I've just found out my RF brake pad has about 2k miles left on it and our local Honda shop can't get a set until Tuesday afternoon on the 10th. They've ordered them shipped Next-Day Air but Honda's system is closed till Monday morning so we can't improve on things.

This leaves me with only a couple of options, one, hang out until the pads arrive and shoot for a departure early Wednesday the 11th which means I'd arrive in Spearfish really late Friday. Not good in my view, don't think I want to do that - I'm not a butt-burner type of rider.

Two, if someone has a set of pads and could bring them I'd buy them and install them on the spot. If that were to happen I could leave home on Sunday the 8th as planned and arrive on Wednesday the 11th.

So...does anyone have a set of pads in their kit? Or know a dealer with a set in stock you could buy and bring along? Let me know.

Thanks!

LL75 :smile:

taldric

Loading up the NT for Spearfish....tent, sleeping bag, airbed, ground tarp, freeze dried food....check!
I hadn't thought about food. I just assumed we would head out to local establishments each night. I'm bringing coffee and oatmeal for the mornings. Is everyone else brining food to cook in camp?

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Cricky, I've just found out my RF brake pad has about 2k miles left on it and our local Honda shop can't get a set until Tuesday afternoon on the 10th. They've ordered them shipped Next-Day Air but Honda's system is closed till Monday morning so we can't improve on things.

This leaves me with only a couple of options, one, hang out until the pads arrive and shoot for a departure early Wednesday the 11th which means I'd arrive in Spearfish really late Friday. Not good in my view, don't think I want to do that - I'm not a butt-burner type of rider.

Two, if someone has a set of pads and could bring them I'd buy them and install them on the spot. If that were to happen I could leave home on Sunday the 8th as planned and arrive on Wednesday the 11th.

So...does anyone have a set of pads in their kit? Or know a dealer with a set in stock you could buy and bring along? Let me know.

Thanks!

You might try ordering the pads from the Spearfish, SD Honda Dealer.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I hadn't thought about food. I just assumed we would head out to local establishments each night. I'm bringing coffee and oatmeal for the mornings. Is everyone else brining food to cook in camp?
+1... this isn't really like real camping.. yeah, we'll be in tents but it's like camping in your backyard - there are a lot of places just a mile or so from the campground, both fast food and nice places as well as grocery . Unless you just wanna bring food.
You might try ordering the pads from the Spearfish, SD Honda Dealer.
+2

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT

Thanks!

Just an FYI - not sure if you knew this but the pads appear to also be the same ones used for a VFR800.

What would I do? Well.. I'd take the less-worn pads from the left front and put them on the right front. On the ST1300, the left front pads typically wear faster and some will switch them to get a few more miles out of them.

The pre-2008 ST1300s also share the same pads as the GL1800 but the part numbers don't match.

Remember, it's Honda... they're not going to make a separate brake pad set for every bike when they don't have to... but, they'll probably have the part numbers listed differently and dealers to try out different combinations to see / compare that they are the same, they just see part numbers.

In the fiche, the pads sure look a lot like the ST1300... I'll PM Chuck as he has both, maybe he has a set to compare or a spare set sitting around for the NT.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT

Thanks!

Chuck just PM'd me he has a set for the NT he'll bring with him to Spearfish.. now, Chuck is a shrewd businessman so I can't tell you how much they will cost :rofl1:

Top Bottom