3.5 months since my last "Something bad happened to my bike" thread.

Bike
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A

Got up this morning at 3:30, got my breakfast, looked outside, all was well.

21 minutes later I hear a crunch and knew exactly what happened. Wasn't expecting the "took off like a rocket" after so I didn't have a chance to get the plate number, and of course nobody standing out on the street where the car came from saw anything.

I got a few quick right-after-the-incident photos but the wheel and the bars don't point straight on anymore, the triple tree seems to have bent somehow because the bar doesn't turn smoothly, the right fairing has a chunk broken out, the pannier cover is gouged from the sidewalk, exhaust is bent up, the surround for the pannier is cracked, and the mirror pretty much exploded.

I think this time it's likely a writeoff.

😫 😧 Does the police department[ do any investigation? Sorry you've had this happen again!

😫 😧 Does the police department[ do any investigation? Sorry you've had this happen again!
There's a traffic camera a block away that theoretically could have gotten the plate but they won't know until it gets investigated, which wasn't happening at 4am

dang.. that is heart breaking ...

The police cant even investigate all the violent crimes....basically, property crimes are thrown under the bus. Write up a report and turn it in.
In the streets of LA and surrounding areas. most accidents like this are hit and run.
I feel for you but parking a car on the streets of even Spokane let alone a bike is risky business. But that is your business.
I have nightmares about living in a town.

First off hit and run you’re not off to a good start. That’s is a felony in California, plus fleeing the scene of an accident. If they do get caught, the charges are not in their favor to say the least.

After my recent dealings with the insurance company. I wouldn’t recommend keeping the bike, if they offer that option to you. Take the payoff amount and do a Steve Miller.

First off hit and run you’re not off to a good start. That’s is a felony in California, plus fleeing the scene of an accident. If they do get caught, the charges are not in their favor to say the least.

After my recent dealings with the insurance company. I wouldn’t recommend keeping the bike, if they offer that option to you. Take the payoff amount and do a Steve Miller.

Wow....I had no idea...a felony in California! I bet that scares people. Here, felons all have guns and dont go to jail for that. They buy a car, cancel the insurance right way, and make the payments till they cant. If they are in an accident, they run. If they are caught, they are kicked loose or plea bargined down.
California misdemeanor hit and run. There is felony and misdemeanor hit and runs.
Vehicle Code § 20002 for hit and run is a misdemeanor. As such, it carries a maximum penalty of not more than six months in the county jail and fine up to $1,000 dollars, a lesser penalty than the more serious § 20002 Felony Hit and Run.

What does California Vehicle Code § 20002 prohibit?

To be guilty under Vehicle Code § 20002, you must:

• Leave an accident scene;
  • Fail to identify yourself to the others involved;
  • Damage occurred to someone else's property.

Last edited:
Wow....I had no idea...a felony in California! I bet that scares people. Here, felons all have guns and dont go to jail for that. They buy a car, cancel the insurance right way, and make the payments till they cant. If they are in an accident, they run. If they are caught, they are kicked loose or plea bargined down.
California misdemeanor hit and run. There is felony and misdemeanor hit and runs.
Vehicle Code § 20002 for hit and run is a misdemeanor. As such, it carries a maximum penalty of not more than six months in the county jail and fine up to $1,000 dollars, a lesser penalty than the more serious § 20002 Felony Hit and Run.

What does California Vehicle Code § 20002 prohibit?

To be guilty under Vehicle Code § 20002, you must:

• Leave an accident scene;
  • Fail to identify yourself to the others involved;
  • Damage occurred to someone else's property.

I found CVC 20001, which is the one that I was thinking of, injury or death of another person.

CVC 20001 - ACCIDENTS AND ACCIDENT REPORTS

Seems that property damage is a misdemeanor. If you think of it as a Felony, you are more likely not to do it under any circumstance.

I had some guy hit my car in front of the place I was living after getting married. The drunk hit my car so hard that it lifted and pushed the car that the front wheel was resting on top the curb. The driver backed out of my car and then hit the one parked in front of mine. He was able to back out again and drive away. LAPD found the car abandoned a few blocks away on the current street I live on now. My insurance did nothing to help me. I patched up that car and drove it for another year or so. After I bought my house it went downhill from there. I sold it for $300 and it was gone from my life.

I found CVC 20001, which is the one that I was thinking of, injury or death of another person.

CVC 20001 - ACCIDENTS AND ACCIDENT REPORTS

Seems that property damage is a misdemeanor. If you think of it as a Felony, you are more likely not to do it under any circumstance.

I had some guy hit my car in front of the place I was living after getting married. The drunk hit my car so hard that it lifted and pushed the car that the front wheel was resting on top the curb. The driver backed out of my car and then hit the one parked in front of mine. He was able to back out again and drive away. LAPD found the car abandoned a few blocks away on the current street I live on now. My insurance did nothing to help me. I patched up that car and drove it for another year or so. After I bought my house it went downhill from there. I sold it for $300 and it was gone from my life.
ref: "Seems that property damage is a misdemeanor. If you think of it as a Felony, you are more likely not to do it under any circumstance. "
In my part of the world, there is a segment of society that doesnt care. Felon caught with a handgun? Should be 5 years in the slamer, right? Kicked.
A week or so ago we had a gentleman from Mexico (forgot to come here legally) who killed and dismembered two ladies at the same time. One had the mental capacity of a 5 year old. The STate dept is considering deporting him instead of trying him.....
Last week, a person in a silver car hit a lady in a white car, sending her to the hospital....in front of security cams....he just drove off.....
Good people dont do felonies....
Its Aran's choice to move or to stay. Me? If I was single, i would leave Pittsburg. If I was married ...I would leave Pittsburg now....if we had kids, we would be gone yesterday. Better we all flip burgers in Boise than stay there.

Another check coming in, not a write-off, time to find a replacement mirror ASAP because that's the only damage that's causing me to absolutely not be able to ride it, the rest is mostly cosmetic.

Also I'm a homeowner, I have all my money and a ton of debt tied up in this house, I can't just walk away from it. If I sold it, I'd come out about breaking even. At this point my goal is fighting to keep my neighborhood improving, not sliding back to where it was 20 years ago. We have a really good neighborhood association, it's just that one business that's dragging everything down because a neighborhood association doesn't have much teeth and the city is using it as a honeypot to get bigger fish and leaving us out to dry.

Another check coming in, not a write-off, time to find a replacement mirror ASAP because that's the only damage that's causing me to absolutely not be able to ride it, the rest is mostly cosmetic.

On the replacement mirror, since you bike has a propensity of getting knocked over often, why don't you try double take mirrors. They are supposed to be bullet proof and just fold over when hitting something hard.

Are like 3-4 x of usual mirrors pairs through.

another option are these cheaper ones which also may fold up..

MZS ATV Mirrors - 360 Degree Adjustment Rear View Round Foldable Handlebar Mo... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081CS4PC5/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_VAT82WX1T1XPK56236VF

Eh, I got a replacement pair on eBay for $40 shipped, I'll worry about anything else next time.

Now I just need all this damn white stuff to go away.

That is some good news. Getting a good insurance adjuster that knows motorcycles is getting harder and harder to find. The one that reviewed my bike put unnecessary parts needing replacement or misidentified the parts needing replacement. For instance, he put the engine case ($750) required replacement in fact it was only the stator cover ($110). He ran up the total to the level that leads to the bike gets totaled.

I decided to keep the bike with a Salvage Title. However, nobody including the insurance company or DMV notified me that I had to reregister the bike after the Salvage paperwork was submitted. To know more about what a hassle that was, check out my thread on that whole ordeal.
Brillot2000 - California Salvage Title - What A Hassle...

Also I'm a homeowner, I have all my money and a ton of debt tied up in this house, I can't just walk away from it. If I sold it, I'd come out about breaking even. At this point my goal is fighting to keep my neighborhood improving, not sliding back to where it was 20 years ago. We have a really good neighborhood association, it's just that one business that's dragging everything down because a neighborhood association doesn't have much teeth and the city is using it as a honeypot to get bigger fish and leaving us out to dry.
No one is knocking your choice to live where you do. It is your life. But you need to prepare yourself that it will get hit again and again accidently or on purpose and nothing will happen to the person who hits it even if they are caught. Or even if it is vandalized. The main thing is that you protect yourself. Dont confront the perps. A famous figure skater was stabbed to death when he tried to stop theves from stealing his car's mirror. Not worth it.

I'm just going to add here because it's related.

So I hit a nice bump at speed on the highway and the cracks in that brittle black plastic went "Okay" and now my panniers don't close.

1616447235660.png

1616447254627.png

The left side will close but not stay closed, a little bump and it pops open.

I did get lucky-ish, in that the left side had my Surface Pro 7 and my Nintendo Switch in it and I didn't lose either on the highway when it happened, so there's that at least. But now I have to replace alllllll of that. I'm not going to try to hit up the insurance again, I've already gotten $4350 in payouts on this bike I paid $4250 for, I'm just going to buy the cheapest replacement parts I can and repair it as I go.

I kind of want to remove all the fairing and under-tail stuff and just go with some GIVI brackets and bags but I don't know how it would look and I can't find a picture of a stripped down NT700V to see if I'd even like how it looks. Plenty of cafe racer builds but nothing as simple as a pannier delete

Revzilla actually had them a bit cheaper at $214, but I've decided I'm going a different direction.

I decided I am doing away with the panniers, we'll see how it goes from there. I'll still have my top case and elastic net to tie stuff down to the grab rails.

I'm buying a new right fairing and engine guard and I already put on a new exhaust, should be fun. Maybe I'll add in the front end guard like you have after all and do something matching in the back, I know a few people who can weld well enough that could make something nice looking.

Like I said over in the Facebook group earlier, I've gotten back $4350 from the insurance on this bike I paid $4250 for and still have a clear title, so I think I might have some fun with it. Worst case scenario I don't like what I do and it's on me.

Back
Top Bottom