3.5 months since my last "Something bad happened to my bike" thread.

1616519448627.png

So with the exposed mounting points it wouldn't be too incredibly hard to make something to mount a GIVI frame (I put one of the reflectors in on each side from the panniers for now)

I don't know, I made sure to take everything apart carefully so it can all go back together with new pannier pieces, I don't know if I like it like this plus some/a lot of cleanup and making of pieces to cover odd gaps or if I want to put it all back together or what. I like panniers regardless of whether they're OEM or not so one way or another I'm going to end up with some.

Rear tire changes would sure be easier with it all opened up like that.
I like the panniers, when I bought it I knew they would always be carrying something and certainly were handy at least for me.

Brad

I like the panniers, when I bought it I knew they would always be carrying something and certainly were handy at least for me.

Brad

Same but both pannier bases broke to the point of dangerous, not just useless, so they had to come off either way

Hmmmm..... doesn't look too bad without the panniers...

Mike

Hmmmm..... doesn't look too bad without the panniers...

Mike

I agree with Mike. I expected it to look pretty awful, but I can see how someone who can fabricate stuff could build a good mounting system for aftermarket panniers that would work well and look good. I'll be curious to see what comes next.

Got up this morning at 3:30, got my breakfast, looked outside, all was well.

21 minutes later I hear a crunch and knew exactly what happened. Wasn't expecting the "took off like a rocket" after so I didn't have a chance to get the plate number, and of course nobody standing out on the street where the car came from saw anything.

I got a few quick right-after-the-incident photos but the wheel and the bars don't point straight on anymore, the triple tree seems to have bent somehow because the bar doesn't turn smoothly, the right fairing has a chunk broken out, the pannier cover is gouged from the sidewalk, exhaust is bent up, the surround for the pannier is cracked, and the mirror pretty much exploded.

I think this time it's likely a writeoff.
Sorry to see this my friend.

Another check coming in, not a write-off, time to find a replacement mirror ASAP because that's the only damage that's causing me to absolutely not be able to ride it, the rest is mostly cosmetic.

Also I'm a homeowner, I have all my money and a ton of debt tied up in this house, I can't just walk away from it. If I sold it, I'd come out about breaking even. At this point my goal is fighting to keep my neighborhood improving, not sliding back to where it was 20 years ago. We have a really good neighborhood association, it's just that one business that's dragging everything down because a neighborhood association doesn't have much teeth and the city is using it as a honeypot to get bigger fish and leaving us out to dry.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Is there a possibility of building a shed or garage on your property to park your bike? A secure garage is a must for overnight parking here in So Cal, hell I remember in the 80’s my roommates banged up pos xs1100 special was stolen and some idiot took the chrome headlight rings off my bug.

We actually left L.A. for Northern Cali for 11 years, even bought a new home but sold it and eventually moved back to L.A. Big cities don’t bother me, theft, violence, hit and runs happen everywhere. Law enforcement is on the streets 24/7 in every state of the union but they are overwhelmed and can‘t be everywhere. Sad to say but you must protect your stuff.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Is there a possibility of building a shed or garage on your property to park your bike? A secure garage is a must for overnight parking here in So Cal, hell I remember in the 80’s my roommates banged up pos xs1100 special was stolen and some idiot took the chrome headlight rings off my bug.

We actually left L.A. for Northern Cali for 11 years, even bought a new home but sold it and eventually moved back to L.A. Big cities don’t bother me, theft, violence, hit and runs happen everywhere. Law enforcement is on the streets 24/7 in every state of the union but they are overwhelmed and can‘t be everywhere. Sad to say but you must protect your stuff.
I have a garage, my driveway is just... terrible. It's a steep angle with a formerly-gravel-now-mostly-mud parking area that my dog has dug down in and revealed all the maple tree roots from the tree on the edge of the yard. It's more effort to get a bike up to the garage than to deal with When excrement Happens.

Also there's no room to park in the garage right now as I have a ton of projects going on and there's a stack of 4x8 sheets of OSB and all sorts of stuff taking up the majority of the floor space. Plus there's two other bikes in the garage that need work and one is my wife's so THAT one isn't sitting outside because if anything happens to it, woe be to me.

I agree with Mike. I expected it to look pretty awful, but I can see how someone who can fabricate stuff could build a good mounting system for aftermarket panniers that would work well and look good. I'll be curious to see what comes next.
I'm still trying to decide what to do next with it. I put the panel back on that holds the license plate so it looks a little goofier (Used safety wire to hold it on since there's no screw mounts other than to the pannier panels) but it feels fine while riding, no negative aerodynamic changes.

I'm not sure what I want to do going forward, I did order the replacement pannier boxes, but I don't have latches on my lids from the previous owner modifying them, AND he filled the holes they'd mount in with JB Weld or similar, so I'm not sure how easy it'd be to return it to stock and fix/refresh the OEM latches since I have all new plastic that hasn't broken.

Frankly I wish that it hadn't been hit so I wouldn't have to put any thought into it and just ride it, it was basically perfect when I bought it aside from not loving how the previous owner did the heated seat (There's a little nub at the base of one wire that gets real hot and rubs the back of my leg that burns me if I leave it on high for too long, just that one little spot)

Argh.

But it's a paid off bike that I've gotten a pile of money back on so I really have no real complaints. I've basically gotten it for free at this point and then some.

Back
Top Bottom