40,000 Milestone

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I hit the 40,000 milestone on a trip to NJ. Here's the proof. Am I the second one(after Phil of course) to reach 40,000 pn a US NT? I know that Woodaddict will get to 50,000 before me the way he racks up the miles on his commute, but it's nice to be second to 40,000.... At least I think. Still loving the bike.

jackgermain

Dang !! That is more miles in 2 years than My truck - wife's car - my motorcycle and her scooter all put together in 2 years.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Congrats on the milestone! Any chance you will add more miles with another trip to Spearfish?

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
nope you are third,,,,,,i hit 45,600 today, in only 18 months :rofl1: :rofl1: :) :cool:

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
He never joined the Forum, but Bob Higdon is probably ahead of all of us. He had 36,000 on NT#1 in 11 months. He bought NT#2, an identical one from the same dealer in Brookhaven, MS. Not long after that he bought a Super Tenere, but he's sold that and he sold his Nighthawk 750 (a bike that had been ridden across Russia) and was back down to nothing but NT #2 when he got rid of it last summer. I haven't seen him or talked to him lately, but I can't imagine that he isn't up to 50K+ on NT #2.

BTW, I'll be traveling with 8-10 50K stickers on the Epic Ride. Maybe somebody will be needing one at Spearfish and Rick will probably earn his about the time we get to Alaska (if not before).

Maureen

I'm at 42,828; of course my daily 75 mile rt commute helps that out a lot! Might I be the leader among the women? :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Maureen, just out of curiosity, when did you buy your NT? I would guess that Nicole was the leader but you haven't been on the Forum even a year yet, so I'm pretty sure you're putting miles on faster than any of the other women.

You may be putting miles on faster than anybody besides Woodaddict!

I'll pencil in your name on one of the 50K stickers. :)

Maureen

Hi, Phil. I got it in October, 2010, so the miles have been pretty spread out. I'm thinking I'll hit 50,000 just about the time I pay it off--2 celebrations at once :) Btw, congratulations on your retirement!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks, Maureen, for the congratulations. I acted retired today, but will be working tomorrow and most of next week, getting stuff I didn't get done before the retirement complete before my successor shows up July 1.

Keep putting those miles on!

Bike
2010 RED NT700V #1188
I'm at 42,828; of course my daily 75 mile rt commute helps that out a lot! Might I be the leader among the women? :)
Looks like I will be moving down the mileage tracker. I turned 40k about 2 months ago and just yesterday on my home turned 43k.

Michael

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
we now have a sailboat
What's your sailboat, Herb? I used to sail, but never owned anything bigger than a John Atkins-designed 17' sharpie with a cat-ketch rig. He'd designed it to be built with non-strategic materials during WW2. My favorite boat was my 2nd one, a Lone Star 13 co-designed by Charles Wittholz and Thomas Faul.

I'm looking forward to meeting Alex and seeing Ariel this summer on the Epic Ride.

OP
OP
Herb
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
What's your sailboat, Herb? I used to sail, but never owned anything bigger than a John Atkins-designed 17' sharpie with a cat-ketch rig. He'd designed it to be built with non-strategic materials during WW2. My favorite boat was my 2nd one, a Lone Star 13 co-designed by Charles Wittholz and Thomas Faul.

I'm looking forward to meeting Alex and seeing Ariel this summer on the Epic Ride.
I have a 1980 Pearson 30. It's a wild story. I had a friend sell me his 1979 Pearson 30 a week before it got damage in a freak storm prior to Sandy.
I brought it home to see if it could be fixed and how much(B(reak)O(ut)A(nother)T(thousand)! While I was deciding what to do someone who had a 1980 Pearson 30 was looking to unloard it--- he gave it to me for free. It survived Sandy while I was cutting up the damaged boat to put in a dumpster. Been working off and on since Nov. to get the new old boat fixed up and in working order. It goes in on Monday. I now know how to fix a diesel engine and credit my work on the NT and other motorcycles for giving me the confidence to do theDIY work on the boat. Can hardly wait to take a romantic cruise with Rene. So this summer it's off to Block Island, Cutty Hunk, and maybe Martha's Vineyard instead of the Spearfish.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
When did things like the headlights, brake pads, battery, etc go? Did you do or have a dealer do a valve check every 8K miles?
Jerry, I replaced front brake pads at about 30,000 miles but the mechanic said that they're at well over 50% left after the next 26,000 miles. He didn't think I needed to replace them before the Epic Ride. I've never had a headlight failure, but I may replace them before the Ride. My original battery is still good after 3 years, 3 months, and 56,000 miles.

I have been getting a valve check every 8K miles but none have needed adjusting for the last two checks, so they've gone over 24,000 miles since needing an adjustment. IIRC, only two needed it then.

I've been doing this because I've got the extended warranty that's good till March of 15. But I asked the service manager if that warranty would be invalidated if I didn't get them checked that often. He assured me that it would not be invalidated, so I'm going to start doing checks at 16-20K miles and I'm going to get Chuck to teach me how now that I'm retired and have time. But not till after the Epic Ride.

Maureen

I have a couple of questions for you long milers - When did things like the headlights, brake pads, battery, etc go? Did you do or have a dealer do a valve check every 8K miles?
It's a bit different for me since I have freeway commuter miles, but I haven't had any upkeep expenses on my bike. I took it in for that initial inspection shortly after purchase, but since then, nothing. I've replaced one tail light and a couple of sets of tires, but nothing outside of that except routine oil changes.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
but nothing outside of that except routine oil changes
Have you done any valve checks, Maureen? Lots of people on the Deauville forum in the UK don't do them and they're not moaning and groaning about engine failures.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Congrats on your 40k. Man, I only have 20k on mine since Jan 2011 when I bought my NT. Guess I better get riding.:shrug2:

skiper

Herb - have you watched the "African Queen" lately ? It might help you with the engine work :) Good bit of luck with the boat, I;m sure you will have a blast. Will the NT stow under the deck ?-guess not. There was an Artist here in Geneva NY who was very early abstract painter. When he finally left Geneva he sailed down to Huntington Harbor and dropped anchor to live on the boat. As a teenager living on Long Island I had may fun times in the harbor and surrounding entertainments , such as Cold Spring Labs, the pond at the church near fish hatchery, and upland farm trails. Worked on the film that over-ran the town in 88. Many fond memories of missions to caumsett park and friends world college. Boy, and NT and a Sailboat like Pearson.... you got a good summer linin" up. have fun.. oh, the artist was called Arthur Dove if I remember correctly

Top Bottom