5th Nat'l NT Rally - Jul 8-11, 2015 - Spearfish, SD

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
That's why, after growing up in Kansas City, I left for New Mexico.

No tornadoes, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, etc. I really miss the tornadoes ha ha.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Here's my proof after some fun Kansas storms.
I got lucky. I'm overnighting in the Oklahoma panhandle. That line of storms went through the panhandle of Texas right after I rode through, but the winds were still fierce.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
RedBird (Ken Malone), Artemedes (Kevin ?), and I are meeting at 9AM to head north. Sounds like there could be some rain in the late afternoon.

I feel bad about not camping this year. But if it rains, I don't feel too bad.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I was lucky and got thru Kansas with just a couple sprinkles. I was worried about being hot, but so far it has been chilly. I am glad i packed my heated jacket.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Back home. Looks like the best event in Spearfish so far. The campground was great with lots of shade and the weather was near perfect.

Glad to see everyone that showed up and hope to see you next year.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
It was great, Joe. I had a blast, met some new friends and did some fantastic riding.

Thanx for all your hard work, Joe.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks Mellow. Personally, it was the best of the three that I have attended. The weather made a big difference. Hope to see everyone next year.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I made it back home tonight after doing a 2-day archery tournament on Saturday and Sunday. I know I missed a bunch of guys I'd liked to have met, but I left Saturday AM. My loss. I also missed visiting with some of the Bell's Motel crew as well. But I did enjoy the company for those I spent time with at the campground.

Speaking of the campground - It was fine too. The tent sites are better at the City campground as is the bathroom. I liked the shade and the pavilion, but the leg room in the toilet stalls doesn't quite meet code (or even come close). I'd return to either place, because the people in attendance are the big attraction.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I got home at 6:30 tonight after the first hot ride I've had all week. It got up to 95 south of Newcastle, but when Wyoming's wind got up to 35-45mph, the temp went down to the mid-80s. The wind quit at the Colorado border and when it did the temperature got back up to 95F.

I'm really sorry I didn't get to visit with Jim Rau, Frosty, Rick, or Coyote Chris. I would have missed Jim even if I had gotten to the Friday night pizza party.

My friend who went to the ER that night, got two bags of lactated ringers, a medicine to help his nausea and another medicine that was a non-narcotic pain reliever. I hadn't realized how many meds he takes and some of them are very heavy stuff. He stayed in his room from the time we got back to Bell's Friday night until about 4PM on Saturday, when he went to Perkins and ate -- the first meal he'd had since Tuesday night before he left home on Wednesday morning. Then he got on his bike and left Spearfish at about 7:30 and got to Parker (south of Denver) at about 7 this morning. He's been a good friend for a long time, but I'm thinking he's probably got some drug addiction issues because that's the way he's dealt with his condition (and I don't know what it is -- it's something like fibromyalgia and he has debilitating migraines). I do know that he's got 100% disability from his military service.

I thought the rally was great. I didn't use the bathroom at the campground, but if leg room was an issue for Jim, it would have been a major issue for me with my recalcitrant right knee. I missed being at the campground, but those of us at Bell's had a great time and some meaningful conversations.

The riding was superb, especially the four roads Ken Malone found for us: Rimrock Scenic Byway, SD-44; the Norris Peak Road, which connected us to the Nemo Road (CR 239) east of Nemo, and then the Vanocker Canyon Road, which took us to Sturgis. All four were beautiful, lots of twisties, a bunch of sweepers, elevation change, very light traffic and stupendous scenery.

Thanks again for all you did to make it work, Joe!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I guess I'm one of the few who did not go home after Spearfish. I'm in Minot, ND, (why not, Minot?) as I write this, about to finish breakfast and head into Canada.

And, I had a great time, though I don't know which was better - the conversations in the evening or the great rides and new freinds during the day. Thankfully, I don't have to choose which was better.

I have some photos to post, but it will be next week before I get home and get them on the site.

Top Bottom